*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629023-Her-Ladyship
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest Entry · #1629023
An unwanted gift brings a change to Tania's life
w/c 997
Her Ladyship

How bizarre! Tania was more than a little surprised by the gift she had just opened.

“What the …?” had been her first reaction. Tania was faced with a piece of pottery. A woman sitting on a swing, the ropes entwined with flowers, her long dress decorated with swirls and dots of gold.

“Well it’s pretty.” Tania’s sister, Lisa offered.

“I don’t do ornaments! I don’t mean to be ungrateful, but what the hell was Aunt Jess thinking? It’s not like her to get it so wrong. I wonder if she put the wrong label on the box or maybe she wrapped the wrong box.”

Tania turned the figurine around, examining the odd gift before placing it carefully on the mantelpiece.

“Yes. I’ll have to ring and thank her.”
The telephone rang, putting an end to any more discussion.
“Happy Birthday darling!”

“Aunt Jess!”

“Do you like the figurine? I found it in a little junk shop in Brighton and I simply had to buy it for you.”

Quickly gathering her wits, Tania was able to thank her Aunt for the gift and tell her that it was indeed the most unusual gift she had ever received.

“That’s wonderful darling. I’m so pleased you like it. I have to go. Jonathon is coming over for lunch. Have a wonderful day and I’ll see you soon.”

“ OK. Thank you again Aunt Jess, and give my love to Jonathon. Lisa and I will be over to see you later in the week.”

Having replaced the receiver, she turned to Lisa.

“It was meant for me! What the hell am I going to do with it?”
“Put it in your bedroom. You can’t see it while you’re asleep!”

“I guess. Right come on, lets get this mess cleared up and put Her Ladyship on the shelf next to the wardrobe. I can tell Aunt Jess it’s there for safety!”

Days and weeks passed and Tania all but forgotten the figurine until one afternoon, off work with ‘flu, she was watching day-time TV. An antiques programme was on. Tania’s attention was caught when she saw the expert clutching a figurine identical to the one Aunt Jess had given her for her birthday.

Suddenly alert, Tania listened as the expert fawned over the item before him. It appeared that it was a very rare figurine, sculpted by a girl prior to her becoming famous. The factory where she was employed had allowed her to make the mould and cast a dozen, but, unconvinced of their marketability, had not made any more and the mould had been destroyed.

To the owners amazement, the expert advised that it should be put into auction with a value of five to six thousand pounds and a reserve of £4500.

Tania’s jaw dropped. “Oh my God!”

The auction was now being shown. A Silver spoon reached it’s £60 reserve, while a Clarice Cliffe tea pot went for double the estimate.

Tania watched opened mouthed as the auctioneer introduced the piece.

“I can start the bidding, with me, at £5500. Who will give me £6000?”

It was almost agony as the price climbed. Within seconds £20,000 was being offered. Tania sat down hard on the sofa, her knees turned to jelly by the excitement and shock.

Tania placed the figurine with great care on the mantelpiece and with shaking hands dialled Lisa’s number.

“Did you see? Lisa, that figure Aunt Jess gave me for my birthday. It’s worth a fortune! Fancy a trip to the auction house?”

Two hours later, Her Ladyship quite literally wrapped in cotton wool, Tania and Lisa were greeted by a smartly dressed man.

Having explained the reason for their visit, they unwrapped the figurine.

“Well, it certainly is unusual. I’m not sure it’s exactly the same as the one you saw on TV, but if you are willing to leave it with me for a few days, I’d like to do some research. Here’s my card. Please ring if you have any questions.”

Two days later, Tania, still recovering from ‘flu, answered the phone to hear Martin, the auctioneer explaining that he had done some initial research and it seemed that the figurine was indeed extremely valuable and he would like to put it into auction the following month.

“I’d very much like to take you to lunch to discuss it further. Would you care to meet me at the Three Chimneys at 1pm?”

As surprised by the invitation as the auctioneer’s valuation, she agreed.

Seated at a secluded table in the plush restaurant they discussed the plans for the upcoming auction. As they talked, Tania was intrigued by the man opposite her. Martin had a sweet smile and a very easy manner. She found herself telling him about her job and her interests while he told her about his own hobbies and aspirations.

By the time the desserts arrived, Tania was falling for him. She did not want the meal to end. It had been a long time since she had enjoyed the company of such an interesting yet unassuming man.

Gathering up all her courage, she asked Martin whether they could meet again before the auction. To her relief, he agreed instantly.

In the month before the auction, Tania and Martin became an item. They saw each other every day and were gradually falling in love.

“What will you do if the figure reaches the estimate?” Martin asked her the day before it was due to go under the hammer.

“I really don’t know. The thing is, I’m not all that bothered. Yes, it would be amazing if it goes for £20,000. It will make a huge difference. But, even if it doesn’t, Aunt Jess’s present has already changed my life. If she hadn’t found it and thought of me, I’d never have met you.”

Martin swept her into a bear hug and kissed her lovingly.

“I owe Aunt Jess more than the value of any bit of pottery!” Martin smiled into Tania’s hair.
© Copyright 2009 Dianne J (diannej at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629023-Her-Ladyship