*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629076-Coping-with-Christmas-Stress
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Health · #1629076
Article descibing how to help cope with the stress of Christmas or other holidays.
For many people the Christmas season is one of being stressed out most of the time.  Here are some things that can help keep your stress level lower.
1. Acknowledge your feelings.  You can’t force yourself to be happy just because it is Christmas.  For some people Christmas is not a time of happy memories but ones of sadness and disappointment.  Be open and honest with others about how you are feeling.
2. Set aside perfectionism and comparing.  Remember that pretty good works and it does not have to be perfect.  Actually remind yourself that perfection is an unattainable goal.  Also don’t compare yourself to others and don’t compete with them. 
3. Seek support.  If you feel isolated or down, seek out family members and friends.  Get out a meet new people.  Attend that church Christmas party, or other function where you can meet new people.  Volunteer somewhere.  Reaching out to others can often improve our own spirits.
4. Be realistic.  Set realistic expectations for the holidays.  Don’t expect your family to suddenly become the Waltons when they are really the Osbornes.  Rarely do people change just because it is Christmas.  Also don’t expect the big lavish gifts if your family is one of those that have been effected by the recent financial turmoil.
5. Set differences aside.  Since you cannot change family members and friends, try to accept them as they are, even if they don’t live up to all your expectations.  Let go, forgive, detach, radical acceptance are some key works for the season (and all year). 
6. Stick to a budget.  This year more than ever in recent times it will be critical for many families to determine BEFORE they go shopping just how much they can afford to spend.  Remember you can’t buy happiness and the stress of paying bills you really can’t afford in the new year is not worth the fleeting good feelings of giving people what they want.
7. Plan ahead.  Be proactive in determining just how you will celebrate the Christmas season but be flexible.
8. Learn to say NO.  Setting boundaries can keep you sane so learn to say no to things you don’t want to do, don’t have time to do, can’t afford.  Well you get the picture.
9. Don’t abandon healthy habits.  Overindulgence only adds to your stress and guilt.  Make self-care a top priority.
10. Take a breather.  Make some time for yourself to relax, meditate, spend time alone with God, to just breathe.  Take time to remember what the season is really all about.
11. Rethink resolutions.  Remember that unrealistic resolutions just set you up for failure and therefore more guilt and stress.  Only make those resolutions that you truly want to make.
12. Simplify.  And then simplify some more.  Remember the old adage to K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid.  If some of those Christmas presents need to assembled and you are not good at assembling things get them assembled by the store.  They may not be as easily transported and may actually now require delivery but that is better than a stressed out Christmas eve.
Remember this is the seasons of the Savior’s birth.  Celebrate the true meaning of Christmas.
© Copyright 2009 SherryC. (scowan4738 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629076-Coping-with-Christmas-Stress