*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629078-Coping-with-grief-at-Christmas
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Health · #1629078
Suggestions for coping with grief during Christmas holidays
For some people this will be the year that they celebrate the season without a certain loved one.  Whether it is a child, parent, friend, aunt, uncle or grandparent; if you have recently lost a loved one this holiday season may be emotionally hard because of grief.  Here are some ways of coping with your grief during the holiday season.
1.          If there has been a recent loss, acknowledge to yourself that the holidays will be different.  It is not going to be like it was when that person was a part of the celebrations.
2.          Allow time for yourself to reflect upon your loss and feel the sadness and loneliness.  Take special time away from the traditional activities for personal reflection.  Maybe even put down your thoughts and feelings in a personal journal.
3.          Spend time with people who care about your.  Don’t isolate yourself.  If you feel that there is no one available, then reach out to others in need.
4.          Family and friends may be concerned; let them know what you need from them.
5.          While geographical relocation might be helpful in the short term, remember that feelings travel with you.  Your memories are with you wherever you are.
6.          Plan a ritual in memory of your loss.  For example, you might want to sponsor a child in need, give to your local food bank, help feed the homeless.
Don’t be afraid to express your feelings but also don’t hold back on your joy and fond memories that you shared with your lost loved one.
© Copyright 2009 SherryC. (scowan4738 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629078-Coping-with-grief-at-Christmas