*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629355-A-Christmas-Surprise
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1629355
Visiting their parents for Christmas turns into a shock for Jenna and Tony
A Christmas Surprise
W/c 1235

Jenna was not particularly looking forward to going home for Christmas. She’d never got on with her mother and the thought of spending four days with her was not appealing. She had only agreed because her brother had asked her for some moral support. He had a better relationship with their mum, but that didn’t mean it was an easy one.

A car horn beeped; Jenna picked up her overnight bag, checked that everything was turned off, locked the door and headed down the path towards the waiting car.

“Hi. You ready for this? We could still ring and say we’ve come down with the nora virus.”

“No sis. Dad really wants us to go and at least there’ll be plenty of alcohol!”

Tony had a point. Their dad was a great host. It was just unfortunate that he was married to their mother. It still amazed Jenna that they were still married. How he had managed to put up with her for so many years was beyond her! She had to admit that he did seem to love their mum. Oh well, there was no accounting for taste!

Within the hour, Tony was pulling into the drive of the large, Victorian mansion, the tyres scrunching on the gravel. Jenna felt her heart sink. No doubt her mother would have some snide comment to make about her hair, clothes, lack of husband and probably a few hundred other things Jenna had failed to achieve.

“Come on. It wont be that bad. At least we’ll have each other!”

As Tony popped the boot to retrieve their bags, the huge blue door of the house opened.

“I’m so pleased you could both come! It’s been ages since we were all together! Come on, hurry out of the cold. The fire’s lit in the drawing room and Amy has prepared your old rooms.”

Jenna left her brother to carry the bags as she ran up the steps towards her dad.

“Daddy! You look really well! You’ve lost weight! Is Amy feeding you?”

Her father laughed. “Yes darling. I just decided I wanted to be around a little longer so I joined the gym and Amy has been supplying me with healthy food. Come on. Your mother’s waiting.”

“How is she, dad?”

“She’s as fit as a fiddle. She’s been out buying enough food to feed an army! Amy has had a tough time getting everything stored!”

Tony had joined them on the steps, bags in hand.

“What have you got in here sis? It weighs a ton!”

“Ah! That would be telling! Shall we take the bags up first?”

“Good idea. I’ll go pour drinks. Still a white wine fan Jenna?”

“Yes dad. That would be lovely.”

“Whiskey Tony?”

“Please dad. We’ll just dump the bags and be right down.”

As they walked into the drawing room, their mother stood to greet them.

“Darlings! How lovely to see you both! Jenna! You look wonderful dear! I love what you’ve done to your hair!”

Stunned, Jenna was unable to find a suitable response. Luckily, her mother had turned her attention to Tony.

“And how are you dear? Your boss isn’t working you too hard I trust! Come, come, dad’s poured the drinks. I can’t tell you how much we’ve been looking forward to seeing you both. To be honest, I half expected you to cancel. I know how busy you both are.”

Grateful for the drinks their dad had thrust into their hands, Jenna and Tony both hid a guilty smile and no small amount of shock.

To give herself time to gather her thoughts, Jenna admired the eight foot Christmas tree that stood in the corner.

“Amy has done a wonderful job with the tree. It must have taken her ages.”

“Your mother did it. Isn’t it beautiful?”

Jenna nearly choked on her wine! Her mother decorating the tree? What had come over her. For as long as Jenna could remember, her mother had NEVER decorated the tree. She had always said it was beneath her and had allocated the task to Amy, their ever faithful and long-suffering housekeeper.

A giggle filled the room. Turning, Jenna saw her mother, shoulders shaking and a huge smile on her face.

“There have been a few changes around here darling.”

Well that had to be the understatement of the year! Jenna couldn’t recall seeing her mother laugh so openly. She was such a reserved person. She never had a hair out of place, her make-up meticulously applied and her clothes perfectly co-ordinated.

Jenna also noticed that there was something different about her mother’s eyes. They actually looked alive! The smile, still on her face, had reached her eyes. She looked genuinely happy!

“I have spent far too many years worrying what other people think. I have always tried to live up to my mother’s expectations. I never succeeded! Last month, I bumped into an old school friend. I hadn’t seen her for years. Her first greeting to me was ‘Louisa! You are the spitting image of your mother!’

“I suddenly had an epiphany. I never particularly liked my mother. She was a reserved, distant woman who’s only pleasure in life was to pick fault with everything and everyone. Hannah was right. I am far too much like my mother, or rather I was.

“I don’t expect miracles. I have a lot to make up for. All I am asking is that you can both find it in your hearts to forgive me for all the horrible things I have said over the years. I intend to make up for it. Please, can you give me time?”

Jenna’s eyes glistened with unshed tears. It was her brother who was first to respond. In two long strides, he was by his mother’s side, his arms wrapped around her shoulders.

“Mum. It’s OK.”

Finally able to speak, Jenna joined her brother and mum.

“I don’t know what to say mum. I’ve always loved you. I thought you didn’t like me, but I ALWAYS loved you.”

“I don’t think I have ever told either of you how proud I am of you. Even when you graduated, I seem to remember saying it was a shame you hadn’t got a First. The truth is I have always been jealous of you. You are so beautiful and intelligent. You have a wonderful job and you have stood on your own two feet, despite my vicious comments.”

Jenna was lost for words. The tears that had threatened earlier, fell unchecked, making dark spots on her mother’s silk blouse.

“It might be BECAUSE of your attitude mum rather than despite it. Can we put the past behind us and start again?”

“That my darling, is more than I deserve, but what I had prayed for!

“Now, come on, let’s make a start! We have a lot to catch up on. I want you to tell me all about your job, your friends, what you hope for.”

With that, Jenna and Tony chatted, laughed, and drank. Their dad ensuring the glasses never ran dry.

It truly was a Christmas miracle and the whole four days passed in a pleasant harmony. It was the start of a whole new chapter in the family’s relationship. Jenna found a friend. A friend she had longed for. She owed a huge thanks to Hannah, her mother’s school friend for causing the change in her mother. 

© Copyright 2009 Dianne J (diannej at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629355-A-Christmas-Surprise