*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630109-Untitled
by Angel
Rated: · Novel · Romance/Love · #1630109
A murder mystery with a twist of love to it
Turning onto the street, Sarah’s nerves were shot. She had been waiting almost a year for this day and finally it was here. In July of 2008, by pure chance, the one thing she didn’t believe in came along. The perfect guy. After being in a relationship for four years with her high school sweet heart, she thought she had a pretty good idea what she was looking for. But someone changed her mind and turned her world upside down in the best way possible.
It started with harmless talking on Myspace, the place to bed. But then it turned into more. The man’s name was John and he was more then anyone could ask for. A year older then her, and living on his own, he was wonderful. He worked full time, and they had a great sense of communication with each other. However, there had been more then one occasion that he had decided that they should not talk anymore, and something inside of Sarah made her fight to keep the connection. She couldn’t let it go.
The first time she realized she loved him it felt like a train had her and knocked her right off the tracks. At first, Sarah hadn’t been sure what was going to happen, but the more they talked to each other, and made future plans to have each other in their lives, the more she knew that her subconscious had mad a good choice. The best choice ever. And now, she was moving in with him.
The three hour ride to his house in Massachusetts hadn’t been too bad. Only when she got close did the butterflies in her stomach start to multiply. Convincing her parents that she was ready to be on her own had been a trip and a half and she couldn’t believe they actually let her move out.
Her cute red Pontiac Sunfire pulled into the driveway and she glanced in the rear view mirror as the u haul pulled up right along the curb. Turning off the engine, and unclipping the seat belt, a breath rushed from her lungs. She set her purse in the backseat on the floor, among all the other things that she stuffed into her car before she finally got out of her car. She slammed her door shut, hooked her keys to her jeans before sliding her phone in her jeans pocket. This was it.
Sarah had taken careful consideration into her outfit. Her pale blue jeans clung to her curves along with the black silk shirt with flutter sleeves. It was late May, the weather was slightly warm, but she was used to it. The wind blew around her face, moving her dark hair around her face. The black pumps on her feet made crisp clacks up the walkway as she wrung her hands nervously. It was silly to be nervous. She knocked on the door before pushing the door open. “Honey, I’m home,” she called playfully. Because she was. This was home now. And it felt good.
Running a hand through her hair, she smiled broadly when the man in question came rushing out of a room to greet her. John swung her around in the middle of his, no their, living room and she laughed happily. “Hi Baby,” she said, her arms tight around his neck. She kissed the side of his neck, trying to show him how badly she had missed him.
John set her down on her feet, but kept a muscular arm around her shoulders. “Let’s start getting you unpacked. I’m sure it’ll be an all day affair,” he teased, pressing a kiss to her temple.
Sarah jokingly whacked him softly in the stomach, getting an “oomph” out of him. “Oh stop,” she said, bringing her sunglasses over her eyes. He could be so cute sometimes. Watching out of the corner of her eye, his tan skin glowed in the high sun and he moved with confidence. As he should. “Don’t be so dramatic.” She headed over to the truck to start grabbing boxes. But he was right. It was going to take a decent chunk of time to get everything unloaded.
Her most prized possessions, like her laptop, where safe in her car along with some breakables. She couldn’t wait to start really inserting herself into this mans life. He had everything a woman could want. She pulled a large box out of the u haul and heaved it into her arms, before heading back to the house. The room she was now staying in was large enough for two people. Setting the box in the corner, she flopped on the queen sized bed. A goofy grin appeared across her lips as she stared at the ceiling.
John brought in a few more boxes and set them down with hers before joining her on the bed. Sarah felt the dip of the mattress under his weight and met his eyes. “Whatcha thinking about?” He asked, leaning over to kiss her cheek.
“Cant believe this is happening,” she said with a shrug. “Feels unreal. Even after all this time.” She felt like she had waited a life time to be with him. “Come on. Let’s finish unloading so we can celebrate.” She bounced out of the room to get started.”

***

The sun had long since drifted down past the horizon and Sarah was curled up in John’s arms the couch in the living room as the TV. flickered. They were watching some horror movie that they had flicked to, and his arms were tight around her after she had jumped every time a gruesome scene had come up. Horror movies weren’t her thing. His head was rested atop hers, as his fingers slid through her silky hair. After unpacking the u haul she had changed into sweats and a tank so she could move comfortably around the house.
The ringing of the telephone brought her out of her thoughts as she sat up. Her brown eyes followed his form as he went to the kitchen to answer it. Turning her attention back to the movie, she tried not to eavesdrop on the conversation, only vaguely making out bits and pieces of what he was saying.
As John came back to the kitchen, she looked up and saw his grim expression. “What’s wrong?” She asked, getting to her feet. A feeling of dread had filled her heart as she reached for him.
He pursed his lips and slid his arms around her. “That was my brother,” he said. “My niece is sick, so I have to go to the hospital.”
“I’ll go with you,” she answered immediately, already moving by him to go change her clothes.
“No,” he said with abruptness. “You don’t need to go.”
Sarah looked up at him with a confused expression across her features. “What?” She whispered. “Of course I have to come. You don’t have to go alone.”
He bit his lip. “It would be easier for me if you stayed here,” he said. “Familiarize yourself with the house and relax.”
“I can’t possibly relax with you leaving like this,” she said, grabbing his hand tightly.
“I’ll be fine,” he said, removing her hand from his. He went over to the door to put on his sneakers. Something didn’t feel right. Why was he acting like this?
Folding her arms, as if to protect herself, she followed him to the door to kiss him goodbye. “I’ll be here I guess,” she said, dejectedly.
John pressed his lips to hers and suckled on her lower lip as he cradled her face. “I love you,” he said, pulling back.
Her heart was racing as the door opened. “Love you too,” she mumbled as he ran down the driveway to his car. She closed and locked the door before she leaned against it. Some first night together. This was supposed to be their night together and it was ruined.
Sarah headed back to their room to start some more unpacking. It was about 10pm, not too late, not that she would be able to sleep anyway. She flicked on the overhead light and picked up a box to set on the bed. The word ‘clothing’ was printed in big black letters, written by a large sharpie. There odor of the ink was still strong as she opened the flaps. She opened the closet doors, the barest of smiles appearing when she saw he had cleared half the closet for her. Glancing across the room, she raised an eyebrow at the dresser. One was fine for now. But in the near future, they would need another. She had downsized a lot on her wardrobe before coming here, not wanting to overwhelm him. Each pair of jeans got hung up with precision before the blouses followed. She had a system that she wasn’t about to change.
After about an hour, she sighed miserably. She wanted to be with him. Turning the lights off along with the TV, she went to her room. The bed seemed suddenly very large and changing her mind, she headed back to the living room to sleep on the couch. It was going to be a long, lonely night. Curling up on the couch, the phone in hand, she fell asleep.

***

The sunlight streamed in through the windows of the living room, waking Sarah from her slumber. She stretched her sore muscles and sat up, realizing she was still on the couch. John wouldn’t leave her here all night. Rubbing the sleepiness from her eyes, she headed to her room to change her clothes.
Sliding into black jeans, and a crimson colored top, she ran a brush through her long hair. Putting on deodorant and her shoes, she went to the kitchen to check the caller ID. It had to be mad if he was gone this long. She redialed the last number in the director and was startled when a woman answered. “Hello?”
Brows knit together, Sarah responded. “Who’s this?” She asked. The only good possibilities for who this was were john’s mom Lucy or his sister in law.
“Laura,” the woman answered. “Who’s this?”
“John’s girlfriend,” Sarah said tightly. “This number called late last night and he went running out.” There was a click and she knew the woman hung up. A feeling in the pit of her stomach was starting to make her feel sick. Pressing the talk button again on the phone, it lighted up green as she went through the speed dials. Speed dial 1- Mom. Perfect. The dial tone rang in her ear until an older woman’s voice answered. “Hi Lucy,” Sarah said. “I don’t know if you remember me, but I’m John’s girlfriend. He left last night, saying Hailey was sick and in the hospital.”
There was a pause on the other end of the line. “She’s not sick,” Lucy said. “Who called?”
“A girl named Laura,” Sarah answered, collapsing into a chair. “Now he’s missing.”
© Copyright 2009 Angel (xangelbabyx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630109-Untitled