*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631586-Sweet-Dreams
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1631586
A short story that follows a young womans horrifying experience.
I approached my childhood home, the one my family still thrives in. I hadn’t visited them in years, knowing if they had wanted to talk, they would have contacted me. Though, somehow, over the past week I’ve had this feeling. This urge that constantly pulled at my very being. An urge to visit this house. To see my loved ones.


I walked up the porch stairs with shaking legs, my fingers lightly skimmed the rusted hand rail. Memories flooded through my mind of cold winters with mama’s hot cocoa. Sweltering hot summer cooled by the naborhood ice cream mans treats. The bright red door stood in front of me now, yet I couldn’t bring my hand up to knock on it. Instead I reached for the handle, something inside me knowing it wouldn’t be locked


Of course, it wasn’t, and the splintered door opened without a sound. The silence seemed to blanket heavily over everything. Was everyone out today? I took a hesitant step inside, and that’s when the smell hit me. A thick musty scent of something rotten. It seemed to waft and swirl around me, invading all of my senses. My eyes watered and my lips puckered shut. Why...does it smell this way? Did an animal die in the house?


My heart hammered in my chest, it seemed to want to jump out of my body and run away, I couldn’t blame it...something horrible happened here. Against all judgment, I followed the smell. It seemed to vibrate out of the kitchen. I closed my eyes and entered the room. Then opened slowly and gasped. Bad idea, the smell barricaded in my lungs and burnt my throat.


Everything...everything was red. Crimson was splattered on the walls like a work of art. But just so sickening. I dared a glance at the ground and whimpered. There my family lay, in a sea of blood. Their bodies disassembled and rotting. The flesh loosly hanging onto their bones resembled hamburger meat. Bile rose in my throat and I couldn’t hold back. I threw up all over myself and the ground. The colors adding to the crimson. The swirled and danced on the floor, mocking me. The walls seemed to twirl and dance. The random pieces of flesh grew bigger, into large spiders that crawled to my dead family. The only people I have...had. The creatures tore at the damp flesh. Not eating it, only tearing them apart more. Tearing me apart.


*BEEP BEEP BEEP*


"Uhg...morning already?" Zoey mumbled to herself as she sat up in bed. "Ah I don’t remember my dream. I think it had some kind of significance...Oh well."
© Copyright 2009 ZuzuRenee (zuzurenee at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631586-Sweet-Dreams