*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632475-warehouse-shoes-story
Rated: · Other · Other · #1632475
my first real taste of self advocating for myself
the story begins when I was in middle school and I was going to get new shoes with my mom for the new school year. I decided to go to warehouse shoes. When my mom and I arrived at warehouse shoes we discovered that they had put a shoe sales rack in the Van accessible parking Ln. the little orange and yellow lines, where a wheelchair lift can be deployed. As a result of warehouse shoes having their shoe display rack in the access Ln. I could not get my wheelchair lift out to get out of the Van. My mom proceeded to go into the store and ask for the manager to politely ask him to move the shoe sales rack. So that my son could get out of the Van to shop for shoes, in his store. The manager proceeded to tell my mom that he could not move the sales rack out of the access Ln. . My mom was in a particularly feisty mood that day, and she proceeded to ask the manager politely again to please remove the shoes sales racks and he finally moved it, just enough so I was able to get my wheelchair out on the Van. I went into a store and my mom bought the manager over to talk with me and she asked me Chad. Do you want to shop here or take your money and buy shoes elsewhere? I proceeded to tell the manager that I want to shop elsewhere and not at his store. My mom was very proud of me for advocating for myself and telling the manager, how I felt. I was so angry from the experience. When I got home. I proceeded to write several letters to the warehouse shoes corporate office, letting them know about the incident and that it was illegal to have any obstructions of any kind in the Van accessible access Ln., and that there express lanes were not the right dimensions per the American with disabilities act. They wrote me back and said, the dimensions of the access Ln. were correct, I did some checking, online and found out they were wrong. I was so unhappy with warehouse shoes response to the incident that I decided to write a letter to a local TV station their consumer rights division. They thought my story was so compelling they decided to do an investigation about the incident by themselves. And they proceeded to contact the warehouse shoes corporate offices as well. After the local TV station got involved warehouse shoes responses to the incident were a lot more understanding and nice, because they did not want the bad press on them. I'm sure. I ended up getting some free gift certificate for shoes for my trouble, but the gift certificates. Did me no good after the incident, warehouse shoes proceeded to go out of business but I guess this was good practice for me, advocating for my rights something. I would have to get used to as my life went on.
© Copyright 2010 Chaddbox (radchad58 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632475-warehouse-shoes-story