*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633376-BILLY-THE-SNOB
by mak2
Rated: E · Draft · Other · #1633376
a draft of a children's story in awareness about autism
Ms. Thompson brought a small aquarium in class. As she enters the classroom she heard her students teasing little Billy and calling him “Billy the snob”.

“Good morning class!” she greets with enthusiasm as all her students returned to their seats.

“Today we are going to talk about our new pet in class. “She adds as she placed the aquarium on her table.

Her eight year old students were amused and puzzled what is inside the aquarium all of them peeping and trying to see what is in it. Until Ms. Thompson put her hand in the aquarium and bring out a small green shell and place it on the table. The children watched carefully while small tube like legs came out from the shell and then a small circle head with wide black eyes came out from it.

“It’s a turtle!” the children exclaimed.

“His name is Oscar and he will be our new pet in class.” She replied

“Oscar looks like Billy… he is slow” Katie said with her high pitched voice while her classmates laughed as for Billy he just sat on his chair quietly covering his ears.

“Now Katie, that is not nice. If all of you must know Billy is special.” Ms. Thompson said with a serious face.

“Special?” her students responded with puzzled look on their faces.

“Billy? Can you come to the front please?” She called Billy. As the little boy look at her for minute trying to understand what his adviser just said and then stood up and went at the front.

“Billy is special because despite his condition he is eager to reach his goal.” Ms. Thompson said.

“But he is a snob and doesn’t speak well.” Angie replied as she scratched her head wondering.

“Billy is special because he is autistic. And for someone like him at your age he is trying to learn like all of you.” Ms. Thompson answered

“But he and Oscar are alike they are both slow.” Katie claimed

“ Yes Billy maybe slow in learning our lessons but like Oscar he is trying his best to achieve his goal. What do you think is the goal of  baby turtles like Oscar?” Ms. Thompson asked as her students raised their hands.

“Yes Jimmy?” Ms. Thompson called out

“ To swim to the ocean.” Jimmy answered

“How do they do that?” Ms. Thompson asked Jimmy again

“They crawl.” Jimmy replied eagerly.

“Very good, the baby turtles like Oscar here as they hatch from the eggs the next thing they do is crawl towards the ocean not looking back and ignoring anything that comes their way. That is their goal.” Ms. Thompson explained.

“Billy’s goal is to learn then?” Joey said with such smart intonation.

“Very good Joey, you now all know the reason why Billy is special. He is not snob rather he just wants to be understood and be given a chance to reach his goal.” Ms. Thompson replied as she gave Oscar to Billy and watched all her students approach Billy befriending him again.

Since then Billy was never teased by his classmates as a snob and rather help him learn and understand the lessons in class.

Moral Lesson: Don’t judge the book by its cover rather open the book and read what’s in it to discover ones self and other people around you. All Autistic children shouldn’t be considered a burden to his/her family or to the society rather showing them their worth helping them understand their importance and teaching them the best way to live a full life that’s all it takes for them to blend in with others and be apart of the world that surrounds them.


“Communication is the key to everything!”
© Copyright 2010 mak2 (iank2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633376-BILLY-THE-SNOB