*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633448-Ill-Be-Watching-You
by atw201
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest · #1633448
Written for Daily Flash Fiction
                                     
  Written for:     
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon



                                     
I'll Be Watching You




I reached into the car to get my laptop and work carry-all from the rear and slung my ID badge on before entering the office building.

As I cleared the double doors with my bags, I swung left into the main office to look over the roster to see who I'd be working with, noting with pleasure that it would be Peter Burns with me for the night.

Good, someone I know!

We had Handover at 9.pm. sharp and the after-noon staff soon departed, leaving Peter and me to ourselves.

We checked our emails and traded jokes as usual until I came across a message from the Unit Manager, which read:

I’ll be watching you, please ensure that all pay complaints and issues with your contract are brought to me directly.

I was vaguely aware that Peter was still talking, but I sat riveted to my seat, all other thought suspended as I stared at those words: I’ll be watching you…

Peter must have realised I wasn’t really listening to him and he asked me what I was reading.

My silence brought him along-side, so that before I could make a decision whether to tell him or not, he began to read aloud over my shoulder.

We were both silent for a moment, as we realised that my 12 month contract was in jeopardy and that Keith had indeed been unscrupulous in the way that it had been presented to me, as we had suspected.

This email was a warning; I either accepted the terms of the contract, or there wouldn’t be one.

I deleted the email and decided it was time to look for a new job.

word count: 278 words

© Copyright 2010 atw201 (atw201 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633448-Ill-Be-Watching-You