*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633469-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-six
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1633469
The children learn of their mother's illness.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge thirty-six

It took extraordinary will-power for Betty to not cry as she picked up her things and walked to the door. She stopped for a brief second as if she would turn around and glare one more time, but decided that she would leave with her head held high. The only thing that she could feel was that her lips began to quiver. She knew that when she walked out of the school, her own tears would come.

Miss Phillips shook her head in disbelief. She could not imagine what might provoke a normally well behaved child into bad behavior that she had just witnessed. She could only assume that Betty was not in this harassment alone. She intended to find out and discipline all who were involved.

“All right class. Let us commence with our lesson for the day.” she said sternly. She knew that in a few minutes, her aide would be in the room to assist the class for the morning. Then she would go talk to Betty and write the note that Betty would take home to her parents. Betty’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ellison, would not dismiss this behavior as something that was part of acceptable standards. Mr. Ellison had mentioned to Miss Phillips that Betty was scheduled to go to one of the distinguished preparatory high schools in the East in a few years. It cost more money than anyone could imagine, but women were not getting into good careers now without a good education.

The afternoon was calmer than the morning time. The students went to their classes excited that they had something new to talk about. It seemed to be that the news of Harriet’s health problem was spread to all class levels. The big news about the suspension of Betty was the big topic in the girls’ circle more than the boys.

As the school was dismissed, the two brothers ran up to Catherine and Harriet and demanded to know exactly what happened. Both brothers had the main story correct but Timothy had heard that Catherine had told Betty that she was going to fight her later. William put his arm around Harriet to give her a small hug and then he picked up her books to carry them for her as they started walking home.

“I am so furious at Betty Ellison.” said Catherine as she clenched her fists.

“Well I think that someone put her up to it.” responded Harriet.

“But who?” asked Timothy. He loved both of his sisters and couldn’t think of anyone who would want to be mean to them.

“I don’t know but let’s just go home. It has just not been my day and I want to change clothes and see how mother is doing.” said Harriet as the children started walking to catch up with a few of the other children who were ahead of them.

As they reached their street, Harriet was feeling better. She offered to carry her books but William shook his head no and continued walking. As the children came closer to their house, they saw Dr. Carson’s car leave and Mrs. Noonan standing on the porch. As she recognized the children, she waved to them and waited until they were in the yard.

“Oh children, I am happy to see you all together. I have some alarming news to tell you.”

The children became pale and gasped.

“What’s wrong? Is it mother?” spoke Catherine with a shaking voice.

“Your mother has had a serious problem with her health today. She was very ill. Your father and Dr. Carson were here and now the situation is better but I must ask you to be quiet. Please don’t bother her with any questions. Just go in and say ‘Hello’ and go into the kitchen. I have your snacks already out for you.”

“Is she going to die?” asked Timothy with tears already in his eyes.

“No dear child. She is fine and we think that the baby is going to be fine also but she needs complete rest.”

The children looked at each other and nodded that they agreed. They walked up the stairs and into the living room as quietly as they could. Inside the living room was their mother sitting on the couch with a pillow behind her and a blanket on her. Their father was giving her some water to drink along with some powders that the doctor had given them to calm the nausea. She immediately smiled when she saw her children enter the room.

“Oh there they are. Just as I thought. How are you? Harriet, did your day go well?” she said almost in a whisper.

“Oh mother. I am fine. What happened?” Harriet asked.

“Harriet!” said William as he gently poked her in the side with her elbow. “Mrs. Noonan said to just say ‘Hello.’”

“That’s alright, William. I was worried about her and maybe I let my anxiety get the best of me today.” she said as she tried to force a smile on her face.

“Dear, the children can visit later. I want you to rest for a couple of hours like the doctor said and then you must go upstairs. Mrs. Noonan and I want to make a list of things to get from the store and do the shopping. Is there anything you think you might need?” Mr. Miller asked.

“I think that I might have a list that I was working on last night in the kitchen. If you will bring it to me then I can add to it.” she said.

The children all gave their mother a hug and then quietly went to their room to change and start some of their homework. They were relieved that for now their mother seemed feeling better. Before the children split up to go to their own rooms, they agreed they would inform their father about the school incident at a more convenient time. As they were going to their rooms, they heard Buddy barking so loud that they thought that he could be heard all the way down the street. The boys decided to check on him first before they would change their clothes. Their father probably did not want Buddy’s barking to disturb their mother as she was trying to relax. If necessary, he would be put in the shed with his toy and some food to keep quiet for a while.
© Copyright 2010 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633469-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-six