*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633898-Daddys-Girl
by Joanne
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Other · #1633898
Every father dreads losing his baby girl.
Brian walked into the bedroom, sat down heavily on the edge of the bed and began to cry. Today he had said goodbye to his only daughter Karen, and it had almost broken his heart. His wife had followed him into the room and knowing how the pain he was feeling, she sat next to him and held his hand. "Do you think she had a happy childhood Tess?" He asked tearfully. " I know she did Darling" she replied and both were lost in their own memories for a time.

Tess was the first to break the silence, " Do you remember when we took her to the park, and she tried to catch that duckling to bring home?" She laughed. "God yes" smiled Brian. " She screamed blue murder all the way to the ice cream van. I know she was only three, but we didnt take her back there in a hurry did we." Tess sat smiling thinking of the way Karen had chased round after that poor little duckling. She had almost caught it twice! Brian started to laugh and Tess looked at him. Tears were streaming down his face and he could not get a breath in he was laughing so hard. "Do you remember the bike lesson?" he gasped. Tess started laughing as well, "I can still see her feet sticking out of that bush, what made us think that it would be easier for her to learn on a slope!" At that they both began laughing even harder. Soon thoughts of the day came back and Brian stopped laughing.

He slid off his shoes and pulled down his tie to loosen it. Watching him Tess whispered "You looked very smart today Darling, you did her proud you know." "I hope so" he replied, "but I wish that she was here right now though". Tess sighed and took his hand, "you know that is impossible Darling." He nodded and went to the bathroom. Tess sat there waiting for his return. She had known that he would take this day badly, but she had never thought that he would have felt the pain as much as this. She felt it as well, but he needed her now, she would do her crying later.

"I was just thinking" announced Brian as he came back into the room, "remember that awful apple pie that she made in school?" "You ate three slices of it,"said Tess, "I thought you enjoyed it." "God no, it was awful. Never was much of a cook was she". No matter how hard Tess had tried to show her, Karen had been no good in the kitchen. He had dreaded those nights were she was standing there all excited waiting for him to sample her creations. He wouldnt mind it now though, it would taste wonderful he knew.

Sliding between the sheets, he held Tess's hand.
"Do you think she is happy where-ever she is?" he asked. "I know she is Darling and so do you" Tess replied. "Although I don't understand why Tony couldn't tell us where the honeymoon was going to be". At this remark Tess laughed. "So that you could not turn up there to make sure that he was looking after your daughter" she said.

Brian laughed. " She did make a wonderful bride though didn't she?" "Yes Darling," answered Tess,
"a wonderful bride". She turned out the light.
The wedding had gone like a dream. The perfect day.
© Copyright 2010 Joanne (johindes at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633898-Daddys-Girl