*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637478-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-eight
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1637478
Mr. Miller has his hands full before and after grocery shopping.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge thirty-eight

Mr. Miller and Mrs. Noonan were waiting very patiently as Frances looked over the list of items that she would need for the next few days. Doctor Carson was hesitant to prescribe any medicines for the nausea since he felt that a pregnant woman should not take anything that could harm the baby. He knew that the body was its own judge of what to do in most cases. His last words to Mr. Miller was that if Frances started to feel worse then he should call him immediately. If there was any other symptoms then she should go to the hospital. Most premature babies did not usually survive early deliveries, but then the mother’s health was a very important thing to consider.

“Oh I would like to get some meat to make a stew, but I do not think that I am up to cooking.” responded Frances as she handed the list to her husband.

“Well I think that we could handle that. The children and I aren’t completely helpless you know.” he said with a brief smile on his lips as he picked up the list to check it out.

“The girls have only helped cook breakfast. And I don’t think that the boys know how to peel a potato much less mash them.” she said as she shook her head.

“Mrs. Miller, if I could interrupt, I think that I could start the meal for you and supervise. Then before I leave, I could write down some simple directions as to the final steps. Your children are much smarter than you think.” assured Mrs. Noonan.

“Well that is so nice of you Irene, but you need to go home and take care of your family. Your baby sitter must be frantic if you are later that we agreed upon.”

“I think that my husband will get the children and see to the dinner for them if I am a few minutes late. I know that Billy usually likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. And the baby can eat a few mashed vegetables until I get home. “

Mr. Miller walked to the window and moved the curtain aside to look out. He remembered that he had caught Billy stealing their milk that morning and he wanted to catch the boy before he entered the house and tell him that their discussion would be postponed until the next day because of all the excitement at the house. The evening was getting a little late, and he felt that the boy would show up soon. The boy had promised to be there. It looked like the young man had another lesson about honesty to learn.

Frances agreed that Mrs. Noonan could stay about a half hour after her husband came back from the store. It was not too far away and the several items would not be hard to find. Mr. Danielson’s store was the most organized one she had ever seen. She also judged that his vegetables were the freshest in this part of the town. Many of her friends agreed with her that they could can or pickle anything from his store and enjoy it later, when they needed it.

Mrs. Noonan went upstairs to tell the children about the plans for the dinner. As her steps up the stairs faded, Frances felt a little more peaceful. She sipped some more of the tea and thought of the number of times that she was pregnant and never had this much trouble. She had remembered the fact that her mother had many children and did house work up to the minute that her first pains had begun. Frances remembered that her mother was one of the strongest women that she had ever known. Her mother would work all day and then still have time to make sure that all of the children were ready for school the next day.

Mr. Miller decided that he could not wait for Billy any longer. He would have to get the food that was on the list and hope that the young man’s visit would be later in the evening. He knew that he would also have to mention this incident to his mother. A young man’s life of crime had to be stopped while he was young or the young man would be a criminal forever. This bad news could only break his mother’s heart.

Mr. Miller was in the store and at the counter to have his vegetables weighed in a half hour. As soon as he explained that he was shopping because his wife was not feeling well, Mr. Donaldson added a piece of peppermint candy for each child to keep them quiet while Mrs. Miller was recuperating. Mr. Miller thanked him for his considerate gesture. He knew that the promise of candy would indeed keep anyone quiet enough to earn this sweet reward. He drove was driving up the street when he saw a bicycle lying on the ground behind the tree of the front yard. He recalled that this was the same bicycle that Billy had used the other night. He was sorry that he had not hurried faster through the store.

When Mr. Miller got out of his car, he grabbed his bag of groceries and hurried into the house. He was fearful of what might have occurred while he had been away. He opened the door and stopped in the door way to the living room. The women and his children were looking at a shaking Billy Noonan who was standing in the middle of the room. His hair was messed and the clothes looked as if he had been rolling around in the ground. But in the middle of his face was a very big black eye. His mother was crying as she was putting a wet towel to his face. The children had pale faces as they stood at the side of the room waiting to be called upon to help. Frances was standing but holding on to the table. She gestured for her husband to come into the room and learn what this surprise was all about. Outside a train’s whistle could be heard and then the clock in the hall struck six o’clock.
© Copyright 2010 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637478-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-eight