*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638531-Wooden-Toys-and-Grass-String-Swings
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1638531
A walk down memory lane turns into a thorny path, a high bluff with huge rocks far below.
Wooden Toys and Grass-String Swings (rough draft) part 1



Being one of 13 children, one would expect that I had a lot of playmates as a child.  When I was born in 1955, Pam, who is almost 5 years older than me, was my nearest sibling.  James is 7, Rose 10, Jack 13 and Pat 15. The other seven had already married and moved away, all with children of their own. My mother already had 15 grandchildren, so I was born an aunt.



In fact the year I was born, my sisters Pauline, Marie, Alice and Jean also had daughters.  I have as many memories of growing up with my nieces and nephews as with my siblings.  Possibly this explains my confusion at family reunions, I don’t know which group I belong to, the ‘older folks’, or my nieces and nephews.  But over the years, I have acquired the title of ‘the cool aunt’. 



My summers were cluttered with visiting relatives; Pam and I being the youngest were the first required to give up our bed.  A mattress tossed into the corner, add a niece or 2 all crowded in together on a hot summer night, and me at the foot. Then, everyone would leave and the house seemed empty. Soon after, school would start and I was home alone.



Fall was also harvest time, Daddy was busy in the fields, and Mommy was busy in the kitchen. We always had a huge vegetable garden, along with the money crops.  Mommy would can hundred of jars of green beans, corn, tomatoes, picked beets, apples, apple sauce, apple butter and berries, jams and jellies.  She would make chow chow, bread and butter pickles, dill pickles and hominy in crock churns. Potatoes, onions, winter apples, and sweet potatoes were stored in the dark recesses of the stone cellar, which doubled as my playhouse on warm days. And it’s where Mommy would sharpen her kitchen knives; a certain corner stone worn smooth and curved like a saddle was the perfect whit rock for butcher knives and carving knives.



Daddy and hired hands would kill a couple hogs, when the weather was right, clean and hang them in the smoke house. Cut and bail hay, bring in the corn crops stored to feed the stock over the long winter. Stripe and hang the tobacco to dry for market day. It was a busy time, and I was too little with help with much of anything. Thank God!



In the evenings when supper was done, we would sit under the shade trees in straight back chairs or on the ground in the front yard; resting, talking and Daddy would whittle. He was patient. His knife was sharp. He would cut only a sliver of wood each time. I would watch it slowly curled and dropped to the ground forming a small mountain of shavings at his feet.



It looks so easy, so effortlessly, I would beg, “let me do it.”



“No, you’ll cut yourself.”



“No, I won’t. I promise.”



Daddy would give in, with a warning, “the knife is sharp. If you cut yourself, you better not cry.” Mommy would protest. Daddy would instruct me on the art of whittling, as I attacked the piece of wood. Of course, after about the 3rd of 4th cut, I would drop the knife.



“What happened?” Daddy asked.



Fighting back tears, “I cut myself.”



“I told you.”



Mommy would bandage my finger, scolding Daddy all the while.



This same scene played out many times over the years. And even as an adult if I asked to borrow his knife to sharpen my child’s pencil for school, he never failed to warm me, “it’s sharp, don’t cut yourself”.

“I won’t.”

“You better not cry.” Then he would smile.



Daddy could never tolerate crying from any of his children, I don’t know if he secretly felt sorry for us, if that was the case--it was a well kept secret, or if it just annoyed him, which is how he reacted. The only time I remember crying on my Daddy’s shoulder was the night Mommy died, and Daddy said to me, “Well, Baby, we’re alone now.”



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Daddy didn’t just whittle on sticks, he made toys, guns, and knives, doll furniture and puzzles. He would sit for hours in the evenings, we didn’t have television until the early 60s, and even then, he preferred the outdoors.



Most of his masterpieces were harmless, but the knives were lethal. The points were as sharp as his own and the blades could cut, well, mud pies and tender blades of grass. I would carry it in a leather sheath I had attracts to my belt, actually I think it was my brother’s belt cut down to size.



The toy guns looked as real as any, the trigger, and the hammer were perfectly shaped, the site on the barrel and handgrip were proportioned appropriately, and it was accurately balanced. These I carried in a holster on the same belt. My blond hair sticking out from under an old cowboy hat and I was ready for my day. My dog, a large collie named Cookie, and I would head for the hills.



My early year adventures were restricted to the yard and the hills behind our home, I would not leave sight of the house, but as I grew older, I ventured farther and soon learned every path, tree, and rock on the farm. A country road divided our farm; it would be a long time before I was allowed to go that far. The back of our farm joined that of our neighbors and my uncle Wiley’s. I felt free to roam onto their land as well. It was mostly mountain, no crops, or farm animals passed the flats. If I happened to find Daddy in the cornfield, I would catch a ride home in the sled on top the fodder, not that I was too tired or lazy to walk home, I just liked riding the sled.





Life on the farm would get boring at times, especially when the others were at school, Mommy, and Daddy working all day long. Even my mountain adventures would become tiresome. The cellar would become my playhouse.  I had dolls galore; one named Johnny and one named Chubby were my favorites.  I think Johnny was a girl doll, but he had short hair, not real, just formed in the heavy plastic, and I so dubbed him a boy.



With an old broom and all the gusto of a nester, I would clean the cellar and set up housekeeping.  Once the cleaning was done, there didn’t seem much else to do, except visit the neighbors, which was Mommy in the kitchen. I could see her through the screened door, and invite myself over for lunch.



She would stop what she was doing, and we would sit on the back steps eating crackers and milk, while she read to me.  She often read to me.  Reading was one of her things, Daddy didn’t approve of reading anything except the Bible, so Mommy would have to hide her books and only got to read when Daddy was out of the house.  But even in winter that was often.  He spent a good part of the day visiting with the neighbors, even walking through the snow to get there.



Those times with Mommy were precious, because when Pam got home from school she took over Mommy’s time.  She was Mommy’s girl; and wherever Mommy was, Pam was there helping.  Pam did play with me after homework and dinner dishes were done. I remember Bob Jacks on the kitchen table, Ante Over, which we always got in trouble for.  That’s where we would each get on one side of the barn, the one who had the ball would call out, Ante, and the other would call, Over.  She would throw the ball and the other was to catch it, then we would run(NOTE, LEARN THE RULES AND EXPLAIN THIS GAME FURTHER)



We weren’t allow to play with cards, except Old Maid, but we got a deck of playing cards, I don’t know from where, and would hide in our room and play Rummy.  Hide from Daddy, Mommy didn’t care, she just warned us not to get caught.  I suppose that was not a good lesson to teach us, but Daddy with all his good qualities was a very harsh man and could be violent when he felt provoked.  That included even minor infractions like laughing too much. Or crying. Or getting too excited at Christmastime, in fact any show of emotions seems to annoy him.



But Mommy allowed us to be children as much as possible.  She would join in on our banter and laughter. We could crack each other us, laugh until our stomachs hurt and tears streamed from our eyes, but if Daddy came home, it was Shhhhhhhhh. And we would “settle down”, as he often told us to.  Sometimes it was difficult to do, and the more we tried the funnier everything seemed. Just looking at each other could be hilarious.  We would cover our mouths and noses to suppress the laughter and to keep Daddy from hearing us or go in separate rooms to avoid temptation.



Winter was especially hard, as I said Daddy often walked to the neighbors houses to visit, but by late afternoon he was always home, There were still chores for him to do outside, but I often felt trapped when he was in the house. Play quietly, don’t run, don’t laugh, don’t cry……………



If I thought I had it rough, I would listen in disbelief at the stories my sisters would tell of their childhood.  At least Pam and I were allowed to play with toys; they were not, because according to Daddy, it was a waste of time.  They were either to be working, cleaning, cooking etc, or sitting quietly, not reading.



The girls worked in the fields just as long and hard as the boys, even hired out to help the neighbors.  One year my Uncle Wiley hired my sisters to help him plant his tobacco crop.  (I was told this story, and now that I think about, I am wondering where his children were and why they didn’t help, or perhaps they did too.  Anyway………)  They finished the job and he paid them something like fifty cents each.  They complained to Daddy who talked with his brother and demanded they be paid a fair wage. My Uncle was astonished and proclaimed, “I could have hired boys for that much!”  Somewhere in his alcohol saturated mind that made sense to him.



But Daddy didn’t pay them anything, they got school clothes, most homemade and a new pair of shoes, room and board and not much else, including respect. Women didn’t need education, reading and writing was fine, but beyond that it was nonsense.  All they really needed to know was how to cook, clean and be obedient to their husbands. This may explain why they all left home as soon as possible. All of the older children either married or left home by 18, most even younger. 



Pauline, one of the twins and the eldest of the girls, built a house across the road on our farm. She lived there with her husband and two daughters, the youngest; Rhonda Kay was a few months younger than me.  Pauline had a car and she and Pat, who was 15 or 16 at the time would often go shopping or whatever and bring along Rhonda and me.  I don’t recall this time, as I was two when Pat married and left home.  I’m sure I missed her very much.



Jack also left when I was very young moving to Indiana to find work.  Rose left right after she graduated at 17 to move to Ohio where Pat then lived. I know I missed her.  She loved green apples as much as I did, but didn’t care so much for the gathering of them.  We had several apple trees of various types that ripened at different times throughout the year.  Some we just called early apples, they were the best, maybe because they were the first of the season.  They were on the hillside with only a narrow dirt path through the tangle of wildflowers and weeds. I enjoyed the little trip and would supply armfuls of apples for everyone.  Then my legs would itch and break out in welts from the chiggers and or poison ivy. I was proud to do it.



There were a couple winter apple trees at the edge of the yard. These were best green with lots of salt and Rose’s favorites. I would collect these and reach them to her through her bedroom window. After she left home, I would replay that scene in my head every time I ate a green apple. 



Then there were three. I was 7, Pam 11 and James 15. 



As the family grew smaller, so did the crops, but there were still plenty of chores; Gathering wild berries, and black walnuts, cutting firewood and feeding the farm animals, all of which seemed like it should be fun to me.  Apparently, I was more of a bother than help.  I did get to husk the walnuts, with my bare feet, which carried the stain for several weeks. I would pick persimmons that grew along the barbed wire fence near the milking gate.  But Pam and James preferred to pick the blackberries alone.



Once, I convinced James to let me help cut the firewood, he was using a two handed saw blade and it looked so easy when he and Daddy did it. After only a couple tries, I realized it wasn’t easy at all. James pulled me back and forth like a rag doll.  I gave up and went to find someone else to annoy. Actually, I think he told me to leave.



I tried to learn how to milk the cows, but Daddy was impatient at my slow progress and told me to leave.  Too bad dish washing was a no-brainer; it was the one thing I could do well, and the one I hated most. Usually Pam, being older, got to do the washing, I had to dry and put them away.  It was a credulous competition to see who got finished first, duh…. but it made it more fun. 



The twins, Pauline and Irene, were doing the dishes one evening and were laughing. Daddy told them to ‘settle down’; they were working, but laughing, which was not allowed. They tried, but said the harder they tried the funnier everything became. They could not stop. So Daddy spanked both of them.  I can’t fathom what he thought the crime was, it wasn’t as if they were shirking their chores and just playing.  They were washing dishes. They were laughing. They were teenagers.



It’s odd because I remember when they would come home to visit, everyone did a lot of laughing.  That’s our thing or did I mention that before, when we are together we laugh, maybe because we didn’t get to do much as children, or teenagers.  The surprising thing is, Daddy would join in. He could be a very funny man when he let himself go, quick-witted, cracking jokes and telling stories.



One of my favorites is:  One winter there was a bad snowstorm, and then came a freeze.  The roads were all but impassible. One brave soul, we will him Bill, started out walking to his neighbors house to check on the widow woman that lived there. (People used to do that sort of thing) When he finally arrived, he was half frozen and exhausted. He sat before the fire and said; “I didn’t think I was ever going to make it here. For every step I took forward, I slide two steps backward.”

“Well,’ asked the widow woman, “however did you make it?”

The man shrugged and replied, “I turned around and started back home.”



Daddy was hardest on the boys; I won’t go into that.  But he had mellowed a great deal by the time I got there, and even more so by the time my children were born.  He would actually get on the floor and play with them. But, it was also difficult for him to get back up, as he was in his late seventies by then. 



So I was lucky to have been born last, I missed a lot of hard work, some bad times, and especially the years before Daddy was born-again.  Mommy had been a Christian since a young age, and Daddy put her through hell for a while.  People can change, and I’m so glad my Daddy did.  I am not one to sit back and watch someone beat up on my mommy.  I love my Daddy and spent a lot of my time following him around outdoors, along cow paths, and cane breaks and cornfields, because outside was where I wanted to be, but my Mommy was my anchor, my soft place to fall, my protector, my life.



Every night she would get up to check on us kids to make sure we were covered up, safe and warm.  Every day she cooked three meals and washed and ironed our clothes, made our clothes, and showed us by example how to be gentle and kind. She bandaged our wounds, kissed our bruises, and taught us to pray. She worked without complaining or expecting a thank you and she seldom got one, at least not as many as she deserved.



She read to us, played with us, laughed, and let us know she enjoyed being with us, and never for a moment made us feel like a burden or unwanted. We knew we were very much loved and cared for. Her gentle spirit softened the harshness of Daddy’s, and even with all the hardship, she never changed.  She didn’t yell at us, or scold us too harshly, she could just ‘have a talk’ and break out hearts more than all of Daddy’s threats and warnings.  With just the pointing of a finger, or a look she could cause us to ‘settle down’, quicker than Daddy’s blustering, boisterous voice. We knew she was ‘on our side’, and pleasing her was imperative.  Her gentleness toward us, made her seem fragile in spite of the hard work and harsh conditions she endured, and I believe all her children were protective of her and wanted to make her happy; to win her approval and make her proud.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Meanwhile, back on the farm: I was sitting on the front porch steps, with my wooden gun and knife, cowboy hat and no one to play with----Daddy became inventive.  He came to me with three strands of what he called sea grass string.  It was also the string used to hold the bales of hay together.  The strands were knotted together at one end which he gave to me and said, ‘hold onto to that, and pull hard’, I did as I was instructed and Daddy proceeded to braid the strings.



I watched quietly for a time, and then curiosity overcame, and I asked, “what are you doing?”



“I’m making you a swing.”  He nodded toward the silver maple near the house, “I’m going to put it in that tree.”



Hiding my excitement wasn’t easy, and I still wasn’t sure how he was going to make a swing with three strands of sea grass string, but I held the end of what was beginning to look like a rope.  It was a long process, having to add additional stings, but finally it was done.  And so was my 4 yr old hand. 



Daddy brought the ladder from the barn, along with a narrow piece of wood.  He climbed the ladder and attached the ends of the rope to a tree limb, then, he put notches in each end of the board to fit the rope and my swing was done.  It didn’t last long, perhaps a few months, but it was the first of many.



Daddy would always warn me, ‘don’t swing too high, it could break.’

“OK, Daddy,”

But of course I did, and it did.  I wasn’t very good at heeding his warnings.

“Don’t run down the hill, you’ll fall.”  The hill was actually our graveled driveway, and of course, I ran and I fell, and Daddy said,

“I told you.”



“Be careful with the knife you’ll cut yourself.”

“Ok Daddy” and of course I would cut myself.

“I told you.”

Sometimes he would add, “Didn’t I?”  And, he would expect an answer!

“Yes, Daddy.”





However, of all the times the swings broke with me, I never suffered any serious injuries. I would often cry, but more because the swing was gone, then from the scrapes and bruises. Mommy would comfort me and Daddy would ‘build’ me another.  I loved my grass string swings. 





When I started school, it was like the end of the world for me, it was the end of my world. I was an exceptionally spoiled child and my teachers just didn’t appreciate that.  I still don’t understand why.  I was often in trouble and I hated school, I hated Miss Bingham, whose father was our neighbor, the same whose land I loved to roam.  I missed my Mommy and I couldn’t wait for the end of the day, or for Miss Bingham to fall dead which ever would come first.



Home again, life was normal and once again, I was master of all I surveyed.  Summers became even more precious, ‘back then’ the vacations were longer than now.  Then came the relatives to disturb my quiet, peaceful life, and take my bed away.  At least, I had someone to play with, my nieces, and nephews.



I was often torn, to sit with my sisters and brothers or play with the kids.  I wanted to visit with both.  I enjoyed listening to my siblings’ conversations, not contributing often, but hearing them reminisce of their childhood, tell of their present life or just jesting and laughing.  When they began to discuss the horror stories of child birth, I was out of there and ready for some jump rope, hop scotch or the see saw.  The see saw was a 2x4 board across a wooden horse; or a metal barrel, which added some degree of difficulty.  Or when Sondra and I got older in the fork of a tree.  There was also springboard for the fearless, and not so bright.  This is where the board was placed over a smaller object and one would stand on one end while someone jumped onto the other.  To me, this seems incredibly stupid and hazardous to the ankles.  I was the one standing on the board.  I never quite mastered it.



Sondra was a few months older than me, she was Jean’s daughter, and during our pre and early teen years, she would come down from Michigan to spend the whole summer with me.  I loved her and we had great times together, but all summer long!  I am a loner by nature; I value my alone time.



She would tell horror stories of her life in Michigan, some I found hard to believe.  Others fascinated me.  We were the city girl and country bumpkin, I much preferred being in the country.  Sondra and I learned to smoke together. I think we were 13.  We would collect pop bottles; she called them coke bottles, and would sell them at a nearby country store for .10 a bottle.  ‘Back then’, a pack of cigarettes costs around .50 so 10 bottles would buy us each a pack.  We would tell the storeowner, Rev. Lewis Hensley, that they were for Sondra’s mom, who as you may recall was still in Michigan. 



Did he believe us, of course not!  However, being the greedy old man he was, he sold them to us anyway.  I have a great deal of respect for preachers doing God’s work; this was not one of them.  I know, because one day he tried to pull me across the counter, with Sondra looking out the window.  I don’t understand why she was doing that, if he told her too, what excuse he gave, or if she was aware of what was happening.  At any rate, having left my trusted wooden knife behind, I used my fingernails, and my loud Daddy voice to free myself.  I never told Daddy or anyone else, I don’t know what he would have done, if anything.  There was the “what were you doing there anyway and what were you buying” question.  Moreover, knowing Daddy’s mindset, he may have blamed me.  I can’t say that for sure, he may have shot the man.  Either way, keeping quiet seemed the best option.



The next Sunday, Rev. Lewis sang Unclouded Day, took up a collection, and preached to us about something.  His granddaughter, Judy, was my age and in the same grade at school. He picked her up and brought her to church.  I walked with Pam and James. Judy was very proud of her grandpa, and the fact that he was a preacher, I never told her either.  However, I often wondered if…I’m sure I wasn’t the first or the last he tried something with, and I’m sure they all didn’t escape. 



Every Christmas Rev. Lewis would bring us a bag of treats, apple, orange, and candy canes.  I was always volunteered to meet him at the highway to bring them to the house.  Our drive way could be treacherous in the wintertime. From the highway, it went downhill with a curve, then across a wooden bridge and passed the flat land in front of our barn and back up hill to the parking place.  Coming out was even worse, there was a curve in the road on either side and made it difficult to enter the highway safely.  The best way was to stop about half way up, where there was a clearer view of the road, and then make a run for it.  Hoping no one came speeding through.  If you did have to stop at the top, it was best to back up and try again; otherwise, the gravel would cause you to spin tires. 



Well, wasn’t that interesting?  Back to the reverent, after that one time, he never attempted to bother me again.  I don’t recall if I told him I would tell Daddy.  Or if he just got the message and went on to easier prey, at any rate, I never could respect him after that, and I hated going to his church.



Sondra and I continued going to his store.  We would hide the cigarettes in her suitcase, with our initial to mark which pack was which.  We smoked in the mountains, and hid the butts under a rock.  We were so slick.  We got caught big time.  The cigarettes were confiscated; we confessed where we had gotten them.  Of course, the reverent told Daddy that we had lied about whom they were for, and said he believed us.  But he still sold us more.



Sondra lived with her mother and step dad, her real dad lived in Kentucky near us.  He decided he wanted to meet her.  I don’t know how long it had been since he had seen her, and she hadn’t seen her brother since they were tiny, I’m not sure she was even aware that she had a full brother who lived with his father.  But they were to meet.  He was coming to our house to see her, and she was nervous. 



We were outside, I ran in for something and saw him standing there.  He thought I was Sondra.  I quickly informed him I was not.  He was scary looking.  I ran out to tell Sondra that her dad was in the house and terror crossed her face.  “Bill?”  She asked, that was her stepfather and what she called him when he wasn’t around.



“No, you’re real father.”  A different kind of terror and we made our way inside.  He wasn’t as scary as he looked and Sondra agreed to spend some time at his house and get to know her little brother.  I missed her those two weeks, and was just getting used to being alone when she came back.  We had such ventures together over the next few summers. 





Bobby was the youngest of Uncle Wiley’s children.  Tenney, his mother died at his birth or soon after, leaving my uncle a widower with 6 children.  I don’t know how Uncle Wiley made his living, I’ve heard rumors of moon shining, but I can’t confirm that. I also heard that his older sons, Richard, and Alex drove the shine to sell, but I don’t know that for sure either.  But as long as I knew Uncle Wiley, I never knew him to hold a regular job.  He did raise a crop of tobacco, but I feel sure that wasn’t enough to support his family.  I didn’t know him when his children were young as Bobby was several years older than me.



So most of those kids were grown and married by the time I became aware of them.  I do remember Bobby was a very good-looking man.



I do know Uncle Wiley spent a lot of time across the road at our neighbor Elmer’s house.  Elmer was a blind man who I know for sure sold beer and whiskey bootlegged up from Tennessee.  At night, they would have parties; I could hear the music and laughter from my bedroom window that set at an angle from his house.  Sitting up in bed, I could look out the window and see their lights and dark figures of people moving around in their yard.



There was loud music, laughter and boisterous voices, men and women and sometimes gunfire.  It was all bothersome, but the gunfire was frightening.  I don’t think they were shooting at each other I never heard of anyone being killed over there, except for Elmer’s dog, which he did himself.  Rose and I witnessed that from our front porch.  He came outside, held the dog’s chain, and shot him.  Being blind, I guess he missed the first 3 times, the dog would yap in pain and terror as Elmer held him and fired again.



I don’t remember what it was that I screamed at him, but it did no good.  I know he heard me, because he raised his head and turned in our directions.  Rose warned me to be quiet, or he might start shooting at us.  If he couldn’t hit the dog two inches away, I wasn’t too worried about him shooting me.  Later he explained to Daddy that the dog had been killing his chickens and that is why he shot him.  But Daddy, Rose and I agreed that he was just a mean jerk.



Anyway, Daddy worked at several different jobs off the farm, he was a coal miner, a stone mason, and he worked road construction.  He helped raise our family and he helped Uncle Wiley raise his.  Mommy helped them a lot too.  She made them clothes and did many other things to make their lives easier.



Bobby was older than me, maybe 13 years or more.  I don’t know much about him; I have heard some things that he wasn’t a very nice guy.  He also liked to party with his dad, and he had a daughter out of wedlock.  He married and moved away, soon after they had a baby daughter named Dale Ellen.  One morning, when Dale Ellen was about 6 months old, Bobby went outside, sat under a tree, and shot himself in the head.  No one knows why for sure.  He didn’t leave a note.  However, about 6 months later, his widow died of a brain tumor, leaving Dale Ellen an orphan.  Some speculated that Bobby was aware of her illness and couldn’t handle it. 



Bobby’s sister, Sally, took Dale Ellen in, adopted her, and raised her as her own.  Sally had married well and could well afford it.  Her own children were older, and in school, she was the most capable.  She loved the Lord, and sang with a church choir. Everyone thought Dale Ellen had landed in a safe haven.



When Dale Ellen was older, early teens, she became ill and was bedfast for a few years.  One afternoon Sally took her Bible and a .38 to the bathroom, sat in a chair, and shot her self in the head.  No one knows why.



Alex was my favorite of Uncle Wiley’s children, he was always laughing.  I cannot think of a time when I saw him that he was not. He would often visit us when he came home, as Daddy, and Mommy had been a major influence in his life.  He was the same age as my brother Jack and they were very close.  Alex was a good man; he had a lovely wife, and two beautiful daughters, an excellent job and a great sense of humor.  I loved it when he visited.



He was also a tall man; he came to the house one-day riding his nephew’s pony and the pony stepped on his foot.  He thought it was hilarious, even though he was in pain.



Uncle Wiley had bought the pony for his grandson, who was spending the summer with him.  They had no place to keep it, so Daddy agreed he could use our pasture.  I was thrilled.  My second cousin, we call Jr. was younger than me by a couple years, but we had a good time that summer.  He came over often to ride his pony and of course, I was allowed to ride him to.  The pony’s name was George, after his dad. 



At the end of the summer, Jr went back home to Indiana and the pony left too.  I was heart broken.  I missed Jr, but I think I missed the pony more.  That September on my birthday, Daddy called me outside and there was another pony, a bigger one.  I named him George.  He was mine.  He was with me until I married and left home.  Daddy kept him for a few more years and then sold him, to Jr’s dad, the original namesake.



Richard was Wiley’s oldest son.  He was still a young man when he died of a heart attack.  Beatrice was the oldest daughter, after she retired she moved back to our community and a few years later died of cancer.  I think it was somewhere in between these two deaths that Alex shot himself.  That was and still is the greatest shock of all.  No on knows why.



Then there was one.  Martha, Jr’s mother, the sole survivor and is still with us.  She and her husband also retired and moved back to Ky.  Of all the children, Martha seemed the most fragile, as referring to her mental state.  As it turns out Tenney had mental problems too, and I assume the children she left behind inherited them.  This makes me wonder of her death. 







© Copyright 2010 tsila1777 (tsila at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638531-Wooden-Toys-and-Grass-String-Swings