*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638831-Letter-M
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing · #1638831
Millie meets her Music man and falls instantly in love.
The house was silent when I pulled up. My car slid into the driveway easily. Not a lot of people were here and I was an hour late. I checked my hair in my rear view mirror. Perfect bed head. "Stupid rich people parties." I muttered under my breath as I got out of the car. I popped open the trunk and pulled out my keyboard. I left the car unlocked. No one was going to steal it when it was parked next to and 2009 charger.

I walked up the rock stairs to the gold door. It wasn't gold but it might as well have been it was so fancy. An old lady wearing a miniskirt opened the door. I smiled big. She was the rich lady who owned the house so I had to put up a great show around her. Sure I was a friend of a friend of the families but I was still charging her a lot. Why shouldn't I? Her granddaughter is probably ripping off more people than I am, and she's only six. "Hello Mrs. Mootany. How are you?" I asked still smiling.

"Your late." she replied still without smiling. "Nice hair."
"Thank you I love your skirt." I said glancing down then back up at her grinning evilly. She glared at me. Her husband came up behind her and looked at me.
"Carter! Your here." I was beginning to wonder if you would show or not." he put his hand on his wives shoulder. She looked him and left without a word.

"Your house is fawesome!" I said stepping in the door and making my way to the back of the house. I saw his daughter in the kitchen. She was pretty but all she had was money no personality. I gave her the thumbs up and opened the back door.

The smell of the ocean overtook by nose. The back patio had several tables on it. All were decorated in an assortment of colored table cloths and fish bowls filled with real fish located on top. The railing was decked out in red white and blue ribbon. I turned to right and headed down the stairs. I was faced with a pool. A heated pool, actually, right next to a hot tub. There was a corner here no one was at and I decided to take my chances and make it my corner.

I started to set up my keyboard when a very nice looking girl came up to me. "Hell-o?" I said dragging it out as if to say I was interested. She winked at me then looked down. I realized she was offering me food on a platter. I looked at her body. She was wearing an apron and a tie. "Oh." I grabbed something of the platter the looked at her again. "Thank you miss...?"
"It's Laura." she said smiling then turned around and walked away. I looked around her friend cateress were looking at me so I didn't get a chance to look at her butt. I sighed then continued setting up my keyboard. I dated a lot of girls. They were all so pretty. I've never really clicked with anyone though.

My mind was on girls when Mr. Mootany came over. "I hope you find everything to your convenience. I want you to feel at home so if you need anything, just ask." I nodded and he started pointing out where everything was. I just nodded like I was paying attention. "You are to
be playing music at all time when you are at your station. Do you understand." he asked more pointedly than anything else he had said.

"Yes sir." I said replying to him how I think he expected to be replied too. He was satisfied and walked away. I started doing music checks and mike checks when other people started walking in. Everything was on time of course. They wouldn't have it any other way.
I caught Laura attention and decided it was time to start singing. "This one goes out to Laura." I said into the microphone. I winked at her then started the song. My fingers flowed across the keyboard like wind blowing through the grass. My voice was a little rusty but not to bad. I smiled when I could. Music made me feel like me. It feels good, like I'm a different person with no worries and no problems. Music is just free like that. Only music has that kind of power. I loved it.

When my song ended I started into another one and they seemed to just keep flowing from my fingers. People clapped every once in a while. Eventually Mr. Mootany hushed me as he stood on a table with another microphone. When he started talking I looked around at all the people.
There were a lot more people than I expected. I spotted a group of girls about my age. They were all very beautiful but there clothes screamed rich. Usually this would've been a
good thing. I've been with many rich girls and it does have its benefits but I wasn't in the mood for rich I was in the mood for personality and creativity.

I looked around some more and saw more rich girls. Then, boom, I saw her. Her naturally brown wavy hair blowing in the breeze is how I spotted her. I had missed her because she was in a group of guys. My smile faded. This girl was wearing a plaid bathing suit cover up and a swim suit. She looked cute. Not gorgeous but cute. She didn't fit in at all which is probably why all the guys were talking to her. She was different and new. I wanted to get up and go over to her and steal her away but I heard my name called by Mr. Mootany and realized I needed to start playing again. I sighed and but followed directions.

I messed up four times in one song because I wasn't thinking about the music I was thinking about her. What was she saying? I looked up and couldn't spot her. Where did she go? I got up and went to the bathroom. When I got in there I splashed my face with some cold water and stared at myself in the mirror. "Get a hold of yourself carter." I told myself out loud. "It’s just another girl there's plenty more. You can't let one get to you like that." I dried my face and opened up the door.

I saw her out of the corner of my eye. She was sitting on the steps outside of the front door. I walked up to the door and opened it. She didn't even look up. I stepped over her and went to my car. What was I supposed to say? Why was I acting shy now? I opened my car door and found something to bring in just in case someone asked. She was still on the steps. "You can do this." I said under my breath as I walked up to her for the second time.

"You are amazing at the piano." said a girl’s voice ahead of me. The brown haired girl was still looking at the ground that’s why it took me a few seconds to realize she was the one talking.
"Thank you" I said almost stuttering. She looked up at me with her hazel eyes and a smile on her face. Almost like she knew she was making me crazy. “Do you play?" I asked her stupidly.

"No actually but I wouldn't mind learning." was her reply. I'll remember that, maybe I could teach her. "You better get back inside before they start to miss you too much." she said standing up and scooting through the door.
I stared after her. Man, she made me realize how stupid guys are. I listened to what she said after a few minutes and went back to my corner. I started playing again this time making the notes flow flawlessly. I wanted her to come over and tell me how amazing I was. I then realized I didn't even know her name. "Gawd I'm pathetic" I said out loud without realizing it. My microphone picked it up and it rang out for the whole party to hear. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me like I was going insane. I looked around kind of nervous.

"Your right you are pathetic because all this music you’re playing aren't making us dance." said a familiar girl voice. I looked around the brown haired girl was looking at me smiling her ass off. I got the point and started picking up the pace in my music.
"Hey dude. How about you and me leave this place and go head somewhere fun." a female voice sounded in my ear. I looked up smiling. My smile faded it was Laura. I looked her up and down again. Laura wasn't someone I should frown about she was an amazing looking girl but she's not who I wanted.

"I'm not sure if your blind or not but I'm working." I said sharply hoping she gets the point. I looked at her like I was mad just in case she didn't get it. She definitely got it though. She rolled her eyes and walked away. I looked after her. What was I doing?
"Does that mean this is a bad time?" asked a girl. Not any girl it was the girl I've been thinking about all day. She had a coke in each hand and was looking at me with a smile in her eyes. Her eyes were so pretty they were big and hazel and just smiling.

"Oh no, your fine. She wasn't my type." I pointed at the unopened coke "Is that for me?" I said very fast. I don't usually act like this.
She smiled really big and handed me a coke "yes of course. You think I would come over here and... Well you don't know me very well... Yet so I wouldn't expect...ha-ha um here." she handed me the coke. I laughed which made her smile. I needed to play another song though so I held up my pointing finger as if to say hang on. She shook her head and walked away.

I started playing the piano and singing into the microphone. I had brought the pace back down to Jack Johnson speed. Seeing her hazel eyes in my mind. I smiled to myself wishing I could end the song so she would come back now.
When the song ended I heard, "My name is Millie by the way." the girl’s voice came from behind me this time. I turned around and smiled. There she was sitting with a smile on her face feet dangling off the edge.
I took a drink of my coke then answered "Carter. Thanks for the drink Millie." I smiled at her and laughed for no reason.

"No problem you looked like you needed it." she said taking a sip of hers and looking off into the distance. I didn't want her to look away I wanted her to look at me.
"Yeah and thanks about earlier that save was definitely needed." I blushed a little which made me want to smile, so I could hide it. Gawd this girl was making me crazy.
"Oh yeah" she laughed. "It’s the least I could do I mean you've been playing all this great music for us and all." she smiled and laughed at me. "Gawd I'm pathetic" she said in a deep voice trying to imitate me. We both started laughing at the same time.

I needed to play another song. I sighed. "I got to keep playing" I looked back at my keyboard then back at her. I wanted to talk to her not play. Forget all the money this thing as paying me I wanted her more. She just nodded. Did he know what she was doing to me? Of course not. She didn't know that one single nod tore my heart.
I sat down and started playing my keyboard. When I looked up Millie was sitting next to me on my bench. I smiled and stared at her. I messed up bad making me stop and start over. She giggled to herself watching my hands. This is where I kept my eyes too.

"Wow that's amazing." she said when the song was over.
I put my hands on my lap and looked at her. "What's amazing?" I asked. She picked up my hands with hers staring at them for a few seconds then setting them on the keyboard. She looked at me biting her lower lip. "Do you want me to play for you?" I asked looking at her confused.

"Aren't you getting played to play?" she asked trying to match my confused expression. "No I want you to go slower and realize how beautiful the sounds you make are." she said staring at me again.
I looked at her, smiled, then picked up my hands and started playing a slow song. I kept my eyes focused on her. She was watching my fingers move. I could tell she was amazed. I started picking up the pace and she smiled not moving her head. The notes flowed easily from my fingers. I had created this song. That was a while ago though.

"That was beautiful carter." Millie whispered staring up at me. I reached up and turned the microphone off.
"Sorry I didn't notice I was to busy thinking about another beautiful thing...You Millie." I said looking at her smiling.
She blushed. I could tell she was thinking about what to say to that "Well then Mr." she said as she stood up. My expression changed, I looked at her in confusion. Where was she going? She laughed then grabbed my hand.

I stood up. "Where are we going? I have to play." I said forcing myself to stay put. I looked at her then the keyboard.
I wanted to leave with her but I did need the money. "Turn the microphone on." I did. She took her iPod out of her pocket and pushed the screen a few times. She plugged it into the keyboard and it started to play. Not any music, my music. It played my music.
I looked at he with my eyebrows close together. She laughed. "I recorded you, yes. I was kind of hoping we could go down to the dock plus I love your music so I recorded it. Now let's go waste time somewhere else." she said pulling on my hand. I smiled that's all I could do. Wow I like this girl.

I follow her to the dock and when we got down to the end I picked her up and swung her around. She was heavier than she looked but she was definitely small. She laughed and smiled. I put her down and she came up and hugged me. I held onto her tight. My chin came up to her ear. I buried my face in her hair. It smelled like coconuts.
"You make this party worth hanging out at." she whispered in my ear. It tickled but I didn't mind.
"You make not being able to enjoy the party because I have to play keyboards almost worth it." I whispered into her ear hopefully making it tickle. She laughed so I guess it did.

She let go of me and took a few steps back. She put her arms out on the ledge and let her hair stream behind her with the wind. I watched her watch the waves break. She was interested in the ocean. That's when I realized she wasn't from around here. "Millie?" I said softly.
She turned around and looked at me. "Yes my carter?" she looked at me pushing out her lips a little. I didn't mind being her carter.

I took a step closer to her and put my hands around her hips, pulling her closer to me. She looked up at me innocently and I chuckled slightly. She was too cute. "Where are you from?" I asked her quietly. She put her arms around my neck forcing us to move closer together.
She stepped on her tip toes so she could reach my ear. "Nebraska" she replied. Her lips brushed my cheek and I knew she knew she was driving my insane. I squeezed her hips and she jumped a little. We both laughed.

"This is perfect. You and I were meant to meet." I said a little loud. She looked up at me and frowned. The breeze picked up.
"What's wrong?" I asked still wondering why she frowned.
"I'll never see you again after this and your music stopped so you are going to have to head back up there to play more." she looked like a lost puppy dog, so sad and weak. I knew she was right though. I lowered my head down to hers.
Her pocket vibrated. I laughed. She looked at me then backed away from my reach. She took out her phone and answered it. "Hello? Were leaving? Right now? But? Can't we miss them? Alright.... See you in a few minutes..." she put her phone back in her pocket. "I have to go." she looked down. I was afraid she might cry.

I grabbed her chin and pulled it up so she had to look at me. She smiled. I leaned my head down to hers again. She leaned up and kissed my lips full on. Her lips were wet but soft. They tasted like vanilla Chap Stick or lip gloss. She took them away. No. wait. My mind wanted more. I wasn't done yet.
She turned around. I was about to lose her. Forever. "Millie." I said. She turned her head to me and I took a few steps to catch up to her. I grabbed her and turned her body towards me. My lips found hers and I kissed her again. This time harder and more needy. She didn't mind. She understood. This is why I liked her. She understood.

"Carter I will miss you." she said after pulling away again. I didn't want her to leave. I frowned. Maybe I should give her something. I pushed my hands in my pockets. Nothing.
She frowned at me confused. "Hang on I got to find something for you... Ah ha." I said remembering my necklace. It was just a simple chain but it was the only thing I had. I unhooked at and handed it to her. She handed it back. I shook my head "No I want you to have it. Remember me" she smiled and looked into my eyes.
"I will never forget you Carter. No matter what." she tried to hand me the chain back again. I backed up. "Fine! Will you at least help me put it on." she laughed.

I took the chain and waited for her to move her hair. She lifted it up and turned around. I put it around her neck and hooked it. There, now everything felt right. She turned around and kissed my lips one last time. This one was a good bye kiss. I kissed back but barely she pulled away to soon again.
"Thank you. Good bye." Millie said as she walked away. I watched her leave. It hurt it watch but I had to. I would never forget her either. Once she got to the top of the stairs before the house she turned around and waved. I waved back. I missed her already. We barely got any time together.

I started to head back up. I wasn't sure if I could still play music. My heart hurt to much. When I got back up to my keyboard I noticed she forgot her iPod. And there was a boy standing there sitting in my chair. "Who the heck are you?" I said forgetting to be polite.
He smiled at me and I noticed the microphone was still on. I turned it off and looked at him. I didn't care any more. "I was hoping I could talk to Millie for a while." he said softly even though the microphone was off. I glared at him he wasn't fit for Millie she needed a nice guy, one to care for her and watch over her. Not one who had more money than common sense.

I didn't want to fight at the moment though "to late you just missed her." I said.
He looked me up and down. "You and her looked like you knew each other pretty well. What did she see in you?" he said smugly.
I wanted to punch him. "Creativity. Talent. Heck If I know. But I know what she sees in you. Spoiled rotten. Too rich. Snotty. Over experienced. Must I go on?" I copied his expression flawlessly "your in my seat." I added hoping he would move.
"I don't like your tone. And this is not really a place to be mouthing off." he said standing up. I didn't reply I just sat down and started pouring out my soul on music. He stood there for the next five minutes waiting for the song to end but it never did I just turned it into the next one and on and on for a few hours. I never got up I never stopped playing.

My mind never strayed. I saw her hazel eyes in my mind all day long. A picture that was stuck with me forever. After a while, everyone left but I just kept playing anyway. Watching my hands do all the work. "Excuse me, Carter?" a female voice sounded in front of me.
"Yes miss...?" I paused when I looked up. "Millie?" I smiled. It was really her. She was smiling at me and I could barely see her hazel eyes in the dark but I could definitely tell it was her.
"I forgot my iPod so I had to come back." she said still smiling at me.
"Of course um... Where did I put it...? Ah ha found it. Here." I said handing it over to her. I was going to keep it and figure out what she listened to or who she was so I could return it.

"Thank you Mr." she said as she shoved it in her pocket. She pulled out her phone and looked at me. I smiled at her. "I thought about it a lot and I guess it's not fair that you gave me something yet I didn't give you anything. So..." she took off her phone charm and attached it to my keyboard. It was a tricked out letter m. Pink and sparkly. It was probably the best thing she could possibly give to me.
I got up and hugged her.” I got to get going again carter." she whispered in my ear. She turned her head brushing her lips against my cheek and over to my lips. I tasted her vanilla lips one last time before she left me again. I grabbed her hand and held on waiting for it to slide out when she became out of reach.
She left. Now I would never see her again. My heart cracked. Oh well. I would never forget her. When ever I played my music she would be with me. Sitting by my side, watching my hands flow.
© Copyright 2010 Tera Ohlert (shadowkitten2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1638831-Letter-M