*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639766-A-Kids-Tale--Cookie-For-Tummy
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1639766
This is a treasured memory from my daughter's childhood as told by me, her mom.
One day, when my daughter Claire was three years old, she and I were running some errands around town.  We would sing to the radio as we went from place to place and she’d tell me what she and her stuffed animal friends were thinking as we saw stuff out the car window.  Between songs, Claire  matter-of-factly said, “Mama?  My tummy says it hurts.“

“Oh dear.  Ask your tummy what would make it feel better.”  I smiled at her, not knowing what she was going to say.  She lifted her little pink flowered shirt up to her chin and said, “Tummy?  Mama wants to know what would make you feel better.”  She listened intently and paused, then nodded her head in agreement.

“My tummy says that oatmeal cookies please!”  She grinned from ear-to-ear as she gazed expectantly at me.

“Tell your tummy that we’ll get some at K-Mart, our next stop.”  She pulled up her shirt and repeated what my answer to her tummy.  She giggled uncontrollably with her little dimpled hands over her mouth in delight.

I had just finished my K-Mart shopping when I saw the Little Debbie display and I pointed it out to my little Sweet-ba-tootie sitting quietly in the cart.  “Claire, tell your tummy that I found them.  Here is your box of cookies.”  She squealed joyfully as she turned around in the cart and threw her stubbly little arms out around the box of oatmeal pies.  She yanked up her shirt and yelled, “Oh tummy look!  Mama found the cookies!”  She hugged the box to her tummy and sang all the way to the checkouts.  I smiled widely at her and her now happy tummy.

That is just one of the many rewards I got for staying home with our daughter and I think that’s the best kind of rewards a woman can get. 

Love Mom



© Copyright 2010 Sleuth Sarah (sleuthsarah709 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639766-A-Kids-Tale--Cookie-For-Tummy