*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640368-My-Idea-of-a-Winter-Wonderland
by Lexi
Rated: 13+ · Other · Young Adult · #1640368
Boone lives in 1957, makes friends with a black girl while dealing with family problems.
My Idea Of A Winter Wonderland





Chapter 1

I walked down the wear-beaten road up to my small home. It was December, but it was close to 70F. I didn't know exactly why the weatherman said it was gonna be a white Christmas –it rarely snows in Fort Worth, TX— but I knew then and there that Christmas ain't gonna be white this year or the year after.

So far we had one snow (more like hail) and nothing else. Every year I asked if it was gonna snow; and every year it was the same answer.

“Boone, why do you want it to snow? It's lovely warm, honey. Nothing has to change. Just 'cus it don't snow don't mean it we can't have any Christmas.” Mama said in her sweet country accent.

“But Mama, it has to snow. New York gets snow.” I said.

“Yes, honey, they get snow. They also don't get much of a summer. They think that 80 is hot.” Mama said laughing softly.

I never really understood that. For us, 80F was warm. Hot was 105F and perfect was somewhere around 95F.

“Maybe next year, Boone.” Mama always said.

Right after she says that I bit my tongue to keep from askin' more questions.

But that all changed when my Daddy came home and told us that he had finally gotten a job. But, Mama stated -and I agreed- getting a job is quite different from keeping one.

I was 13 that year when my life changed and Daddy came home with the announcement. I was a blond with my hair bobbed. I lived in 1957. My Daddy, I'm sorry to say, was an alcoholic and had a trouble keeping a job.

“It's true, honey. This time it's gonna be different. We'll get a fresh start.” I heard Daddy say.

“Sweetheart, I can't tell you how many times you said that.” Mama said.

I knew that they were talking about moving again. I've moved at least ten times the past three years. More often than not we would move again before we finished unpacking from the last move.

“All right, sweety. But please promise me that if we move, you're a gonna stop gettin' drinks and getting drunk. Have you ever thought of what that's like for Boone with you coming home and waking the neighborhood every other night?” Mama said.

“Alright, Josie.” Daddy said as he pulled Mama into a hug, “I'll stop getting drinks. I'll take care of you and Boone. I'll do everything right. I promise.” Daddy said.

“Alright, honey. But this time, you tell Boone we're leaving.”

I bit my lip to keep from crying. I couldn't believe that we were moving again.

I heard Daddy climbing up the stairs so I ran to my room and jumped on my bed so's it wouldn't look like I was eavesdropping on him and Mama.

“Boone, honey, can we talk?” Daddy said, halting in my doorway.

“Sure, Daddy.” I answered.

“Well, I got a job . . .” he started.

“A job! Daddy that's great!” I said excitedly.

“Don't get all happy yet, babe.” Daddy warned me. “We have to move.”

“Again? Daddy, why's we got to keep movin' and movin'?” I said angrily. I had no idea why I was reacting that way. I had over heard all of this. It just seemed worst now that he was saying it to my face. It was like he was failing me for the thirtieth time.

I saw a flash of anger pass in Daddy's eyes. He grabbed me by my arm and jerked my to where we were looking eye to eye.

“Drat it, girl! I'm trying to make things right! Why cain't you see that?” Daddy snarled, giving me a hard shake.

I tried hard not to scream. Daddy was starting to scare me.

“Drat you, Conner!” Mama said from the doorway. She ran in between me and Daddy and was standing protectively in front of me.

“You promised to stop that!” Mama said, looking at him with a look of disgust.

“Josie, the girl talked back to me so move aside!” Daddy growled.

“Shoot ya, Conner! You promised to stop this!” Mama said furiously.

Mama and Daddy glared at each other for a moment while I wiggled uncomfortably under their gaze.

“It's no wonder why Boone hates you.” Mama said.

My eyes widened.

Daddy grabbed me again so we were looking eye to eye.

“Boone don't hate me, do you girl?” Daddy asked. I kept my mouth shut. I didn't like to get into Mama and Daddy's fights.

“Well babe, do you?” Daddy said. I still kept my mouth shut. Daddy's grip on my arm was steadily tightening.

“Ouch!” I yelped when his grip tightened beyond what I could bear.

“Stop it, Conner! You promised! If you can't keep your promises Boone and I are going back to Mother's and are staying there.” Mama said.

Daddy let go of me.

Mama and Daddy went back to their room. I could still hear their arguing all the way down the stairs.

I knew that Daddy didn't mean to hurt me. But if he didn't shape up, me and Mama are going to a visit with Grandma. And I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be a short visit.
© Copyright 2010 Lexi (soon2bewriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640368-My-Idea-of-a-Winter-Wonderland