*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644906-Tears--Fears
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1644906
Set during World War II, nine year old Betsy and her two older sisters tell their tale....
Little nine year old Betsy woke early again that morning to the sound of people screaming and shouting. It was the start of World War II, Betsy and her two elder sisters Francesca and Edith lived with their mother in a small two-bedroomed house in London. Their father was fighting in the war and the Porter family had not heard from him since he left four months ago.

Betsy got out of her tiny bed in the corner and looked to her left at Edith who was sleeping peacefully next to her. Edith had dark brown hair, pale skin, black eyes and a cold quiet personality. She was fifteen years old and mostly kept to herself. Betsy's sister was a budding muscian and often played the old piano in our front room.

Francesca was Edith's twin but both had totally different personalities. They may of been identical but couldn't of been more different at the same time. Francesca had the same looks but she hated music and was a bit more social and friendly than her twin. Sometimes even little Betsy got them mixed up when they stood side by side.

Soon later there were more screams and bangs and Francesca woke up too. Poor Betsy started crying as the bangs got nearer and closer...
"Fran can I come in your bed with you?" she sobbed
"Errmmm.... okay" her sister replied rubbing her eyes and sitting up
Betsy lay under the covers of Francesca's thin duvet and snuggled beside her
"There there Bet, wipe your tears. Just you wait they'll go away soon" Francesca soothed wiping her sister's tears with her dirty rag nightie.
Betsy stopped crying and fell asleep in her sister's arms. They both slept for a little while until Mother came in with a tray of hard stale biscuits.

Mother placed the try on the little table in the middle of the cramped room and Edith sat up groaning.
"Yay- biscuits!" Betsy exclaimed running out of bed to the tray.
No matter how hard Betsy tried to bite through the biscuits, they still remained rock solid.
"That's all the food we've got Bet dear I'm afraid" Mother said wistufully shivering in the cold room.
"It doesn't matter- we can pretend we're rich and this is luxury!" Betsy shouted smiling instead of crying now.
"Grow up you little idiot- we're not rich and this is all we got so shut up and eat it or go hungry!" Edith shouted at her little sister.
Betsy's grin faded and her face crumpled as she yet again tried to bite into the biscuit.
Francesca saw that Betsy was upset and sat her on her knee.

Betsy's hair was the same colour as her older sisters, but Edith's was short and messy and Francesca's was very similiar. Betsy had her long brown hair down to the backs of her knees and it often got caught up in things and got tatty. Francesca ran her fingers through her sister's hair so that all the tatts were out so she could plait it.

Once Betsy's hair was plaited and un-knotted, the family changed into their aprons and cardigans. Edith was first changed as solemly went downstairs and started to play the piano. The other two ran to join her whilst Mother made their beds for them.

Everybody was in a better mood once Edith had played the piano and they all sat watching the old black and white telvision in the main room. In the main room, there was a few old sofa's in front of an old television, a large dinner table, and a creaky bed in the corner for when they had guests.

The family listened mournfully to the bangs and screams until one of the bangs got very close. Betsy screamed and ran to her mother's arms crying desperately. Even Edith looked a bit frightened.

All of a sudden a loud whirring sound appeared and quickly everybody ran outside to the air raid shelter.It was cold, damp and smelly inside there but at least they were safe. There was a deafening bang and the ground started to shake! Betsy screamed and cried as Francesca tried to get her to stop. She couldn't though as she was sobbing too. Edith sat rocing on her heels in the corner and she too was crying. Mother's face was tired and fearful as she trid to calm her daughters.

Soon later the alarm went off again and the Porter's went back inside again. Straight away they looked out of the window to the front and saw that the opposite side of the street had been completely blown up. Francesca put her hand over her mouth and covered Betsy's eyes as she started to scream in horror and fright.
"That's it- I should of done this a long time ago" Mother said firmly "I'm getting you all evacuated to the country where you will be safe"
"No.... no you can't- what about Francesca?" Edith shouted looking horrified.
"What about Francesca?" Mother asked edgingly.
"Oops" was all Edith could say.
"Come on spill the beans"
"No I should of never said it in the first place"
"You tell me or I will ask Francesca"
"Oh alright.... three months ago she met this lad....." she began.
"Oh-no!" Mother wailed clasping her hands to her mouth "She didn't did she?"
Edith nodded wistfully, annoyed that she had told tales on her twin.

Surprisingly Mother did not tell Francesca off for getting pregnant- but knitted baby clothes for the baby to be. Edith apoligized to her sister but Fran wasn't mad at all.
"Well she was going to find about some time or another weren't she?" was her reply. Edith sighed in relief.

Three months later and everything was set for them to be evacuated, they had gas masks in cardboard boxes around their necks and a small suitcase each. Mother had bought them all some ink and paper to write home with and filled Francesca's suitcase with baby things.

"Do we have to go Mother?" Betsy whined for the hundreth time.
"Yes we do sweetheart- remember to write to me whilst you're gone. I have wrote our address on some paper in your bags so you know where to send it to. Also I am sure that Mrs Gutteridge will have some stamps for you"
"Who's Mrs Gutteridge?"
"The woman who will be looking after you in a few days time"
"Oh- bye Mother we shall miss you so" Betsy said her face crumpling.
"There there Betsy dear- you have your sisters and I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends there" Mother reassured.

Their conversation was cut short as two big black horses drew up outside pulling a carriage behind them. Mother picked Betsy up, got in the carriage and held out a hand to help her two daughters. Francesce looked a lot older with her large stomach and her messy punky hair.
"I've got a surprise in your suitcases for when you get there" Mother said as the driver whipped the horses on.

The ride was bumpy and Betsy was very much afraid of the big noisy horses that kept tossing their heads and flicking their tails. As the carriage drew to a halt the driver looked at everybody's mournful faces.
"Why the long faces- you'll have a blast in the country!" he exclaimed refusing the money Mother handed to him.
"No keep it- these kids need something to cheer them up" he said handing everyone a little penny sweet each.
"There now give me a smile little one" he said putting his hand under Betsy's chin.

As the Porter's stood at the Railway Station with their gas mask boxes around their necks and their suitcases at their feet Betsy started to whimper again.
"Look we'll all upset not stop crying" Edith said giving her sister a poke. This just made her cry more.
"Look kids don't fight- come here Betsy" Mother reassured putting a brave face on. She put Betsy on her shoulder and snuggled her face into her shoulder.

The large and noisy steam train pulled up at the station and Mother hugged and kissed everybody quickly.
"Be good girls- come on Betsy don't cry again dear you'll see my again soon" she said tears running down her face.
"Stay out of trouble Edith and try and make some friends- Francesca remeber to pick a name for the baby before it's born. And Betsy you are a very clever child so concentrate in lessons" she quickly said as the doors of the train doors were opened by the Guards.

The girls got on first so they had first choice of which carriage. They put their suitcases under the seats and sat in one of the smaller carriages. Soon later an eleven year old blond girl sat in with them and shyly looked out the window at her mother waving desperately.

Betsy sat next to the window opposite to the blond girl.
"What's your name?" she asked. The girl with the white blonde hair blushed magenta and stared at Betsy.
"I'm Meg- who are you?" she said bravely going back to her normal skin colour.
"I'm Betsy- that there is Edith and this is Francesca" she said proudly pointing to each of her sisters. Francesca looked up and smiled at Meg but Edith didn't even blink at her.

The train set off and even Francesca cried as she waved to Mother. Edith stood up, ripped the box with the gas mask in from her neck and threw it to the floor.
"You might need that Edith- try and fix the string with your hair pin" Fran said sighing.
"No- I won't. I don't care what this Mrs Gutteridge says- unless she lives in a big mansion with hundreds of dogs and horses then I will sulk the whole time!" Edith threatened folding her arms. Betsy sniffed and fell asleep next to Francesca.

Two hours later, conversation was little as it began to rain heavily. A woman came around the train handing out sandwiches to everybody and everything was silent as the sandwiches were wolfed down.
"Calm down kids- you're all skin and bone you lot. Here have another one" she said handing everybody another sandwich each. Meg wasn't really skin and bone, she was pretty but wasn't that skinny.

A further three hours later, the Porter familt began to feel bored. Meg had fell asleep and had been for a while. Edith stood and stretched her legs. Francesca yawned and Betsy looked out of the window.
"I can see the station we're almost there!" Betsy exclaimed.

Hurriedly, Francesca put everybody's coats on them and handed them their bags. Francesca looked a bit weird as all her clother were too tight because of her massive stomach. She wanted it to be a girl so she could plait her hair. But nobody knew yet for sure.

The train screeched to a halt and the woman who handed everybody their sandwiches stood on the Platform and started shouting out surnames of families. Meg gathered her things and ran towards a young maid.
"I do hope Mrs Gutteridge is as nice as that maid" Betsy announced looking worried. There was no sign of Mrs Gutteridge anywhere.
"Oh-no we're going to have to stay here forever!" Betsy wailed overreacting.
"No we're not you little nit wit- there's a posh horse and carriage over there coming towards us look!" Edith exclaimed clutching hold of the Gas Mask box that she had broken.

As the carriage drew nearer, Francesca swallowed nervously- what if she thought her stupid for getting pregnant when she was fourteen? Betsy jigged up and dwon in excitement and Edith dug her nails into her shoulder tightly.
"Ouch Edith you're hurting me- stop it!" she wailed running away from her and standing by Francesca.

Out of the carriage came a beautiful, posh rich lady. She was not snobby but was very respectable and disliked dirt.
"Hello dearies! You must be the Porter family! Nice to meet you all- I'm Mrs Gutteridge!" she exclaimed shaking everyone's hand.
"And look how delightful you are!" Mrs Gutteridge beamed as Betsy smiled up to her.
"Come on then, look it's still raining- come under my umbrella and get in the carriage" she said taking hold od Francesca's bags.
"What were you thinking carrying all them bags and boxes with that baby of yours" the woman said to Francesca.
"Thank you ma'am" she said blushing slightly.

They all gathered under the umbrella and got into the carriage. Mrs Gutteridge smelt of lavender and roses. She had blond hair scraped back into a bun which made her look even prettier.

Just ten minutes later the rain slowed down and stopped completely. The warm spring sun came out and so did a rainbow.
"Look Betsy- a rainbow!" Francesca shouted pointing up into the sky.
"Wow I hope it stays there for a while" was her reply.

Half an hour later and they pulled up outside a large mansion. In front of it where fountains and horses grazing. Gardeners trimmed the grass and planted heavenly smelling flowers. It covered the pong from the horses and was heavenly to see.
"Is this where you live ma'am?" Edith asked gazing at the flowers.
"Yes it is dear. By any chance I don't think you've ever saw anything like it before hmmm" she said smiling at Edith's expression.
She nodded and they made the five minute walk up to the front door.

The double doors were opened revealing a large open plan living room with a massive log fire and rows and rows of books. On the other side was a Dining Table so big it could fit about sixty people at once! Also in the room there was few other evacuees running around and laughing. They stopped and pointed at the Porter's but not in a rude way. In the room there were two prettey twisting spiral staircases which led to more room upstairs.
"What do them notes say ma'am?" Francesca asked ponting to the stairs.
"Well Francesca- the ones on the left say 'boys' and the staris on the right say 'girls'" Mrs Gutteridge said not at all shocked that she couldn't read.
"You mean we are seperated from the boys!" Edith shreiked looking horrified.
Mrs Gutteridge picked up her skirts and led them to the dining table.
"No my child, you still go to school, work and go to church together- it's only the bedrooms and bathroom that are kept apart. Although you will be caned if you get caught sneaking in the Boys Wing"
Edith just gulped and followed Mrs Gutteridge up the stairs.

The stairs were made of metal and were quite noisy as everyone climbed up. At the top poor Betsy nearly fainted. They were standing in a hall way that was twice the size of their house!
"Oh my!" Betsy stammered her eyes wide in excitement.
"I take it you like it then?" Mrs Gutteridge asked rasing her eyebrow.
"Oh yes ma'am it's beautiful!" Francesca beamed.
"Wow!" Edith said rubbing her eyes as the bright colours gave her a headache.
Mrs Gutteridge smiled at the children and said
"Tea-time is in half an hour so un-pack and when you hear the bell come down the stairs and to the Dining Table. There is a bathroom every four doors and Matron here will check you over and show you to your room". Betsy gulped hard
"Checked over?" she said gripping Francesca's hand tightly.
"Oh it's only one little shot- then you're free to go!" Mrs Gutteridge said knocking on Matron's door.

Matron answered the door and Edith sniggered rudely. She was a very large woman with grey hair tied up and was holding three injections in her hand.
"Sit down all of you!" she ordered as Mrs Gutteridge left. Of cours Betsy did at once, Francesca sat carefully but Edith shifted uncomfortably.
"I've never had a needle before" she said holding her throat that had started to hurt.
"So...? Now who's going first before I pick?" Matron asked pulling the cap off the needle with her teeth.

Betsy looked at her two sisters then sighed.
"I'll go first Matron" she said confidently pulling her sleeve up.
"Very good- but it you're only little it will have to be your leg" Matron said smirking. Francesca pulled her little sister's skirts up and quickly Matron jabbed her leg.
"Ouch!" Betsy whimpered her eyes watering.
"It weren't that bad you teo- come on get it over with" she continued giving her leg a rub.

Edith had her injection and did nothing but moan and complain. She demanded a compress to put on her arm but Matron only laughed. When Francesca had hers she flinched and gave her arm a rub but that was about it.

"I see you're expecting a baby then" Matron said tutting.
"Erm yeah" Francesca said nervously.
"How many months pregnant are you dear?"
"Five and a half"
"Ahhhh! You'll be having your baby here then in four months" Matron beamed rubbing her hand together.
"I want a little girl- so... so I can plait her hair" Francesca mumbled hanging her head.
Matron frowned and then looked at Francesc'a big bump
"I can't tell the future or anything dear but I think it'll be a boy. Although your little sister has enough hair for everybody here to plait!" she said chuckling.
"Erm that's all very well, but I really need the toilet and we're all tired so could you show us to our room please" Edith growled tapping her foot impatiently.

Matron showed them across the corridor to the toilets and waited outside with their bags. Once everybody had relieved themselves she handed them their suitcases and took them six doors to the right. The room had four large beds with canopies over the top. Everybody had a chest each to place their items inside and there were two large wardrobes on the wall on the right.

As you walked into the room, the left hand wall had the beds leaning up against it with the chest's in between each bed. The wall in front of you was all glass but had two large curtains pulled across. In the middle of the room was a pale green round carpet with some building blocks and marbles on. The room was entirely painted pale green, yellow, pink and white and the chests, bedposts and wardrobes were dark oak.

"Oh how Mother would like this!" Edith exclaimed.
"Why did you have to mention Mother, Edith?" Francesca said as Betsy started to cry.
"Oh for heavens sake- she's ten next week and she cries at everything!" Edith said giving Betsy a shove.
"You're not that much younger than us anyway- you'll soon have a little sibling to play with anyway!" she continued pushing her little sister away and running to the bed closest to the door.
"This is my bed so no questions asked!" she exclaimed lying down on top of the covers.

Betsy chose the bed closest to the window and Francesca took the one next to her. That meant there was a spare bed in between Edith and Fran.
"Good riddance to bad rubbish!" Betsy whispered to Francesca giggling.

Ten minutes later their clothes and belongings were unpacked and everybody was sitting on the carpet playing with their new toys. The surprise Mother had gotten them in their bags was a small comb each and some ribbons.
"Yay- I can use these ribbons in your hair Betsy instead of string!" Francesca exclaimed getting really excited. Even Edith thought the ribbons were cool and put her short messy hair into a pale blue ribbon.
"You look great sis!" Francesca said combing Betsy's hair.

When Betsy's hair was combed, because all the tats and knots had come out, her hair reached the end of her skirt at the back. It was smooth and silky and felt soft to touch.
"I wonder if I keep getting the ends cut every month it will reach the floor?" Betsy wondered.
"Imagine her having hair all the way to the floor- it would get dirty and you would stand on it and pull it all out!" Edith sniggered tugging at the ribbon in her hair. Even Francesca laughed at that one although she stopped when she saw her little sisters face.

Soon later, Francesca had plaited Betsy hair all the way down. She had french plaited it from the very top of her head and had fastened the end with a bright red ribbon. Edith then burshed Fran's shoulder length hair until soft and then seperated it into two halves. Edith used purple ribbons and tied them into big bows so she looked really pretty.

Ten minutes later, the bell went and there were lots of bangs and thumps as all the girls ran for their meal. Betsy opened the door and a cool breeze blew in as people ran past.
"Walk not run or I'll cane you" Matron said coming out of her office. A few girls slowed but she couldn't cane all of them could she?

"There is no way we will get down them narrow steps with about thirty girls thundering down them!" Edith said sitting back on her bed.
"We might as well wait until the stairs have cleared, look there is a traffic jam already!" Francesca exclaimed watching as girls punched each other to get to the stairs. They didn't notice the Porter's because they were new. All they were interested in was getting some food. Not like some of them needed fattening up though.

Five minutes later most of the queue had gone down and tey made their way out of their room. They could smell chicken and herbs and their stomach's growled furiously. They clacked down the stairs and saw that the table was already full with boys and girls.
"Where are we supposed to sit?" Betsy asked one of the men standing in the corner of the room.
"Oh I'm sorry- you're new aren't you? Well go through that door over there. In there should be two long tables- they're not as popular as this one though so there will be plenty of seats to choose from" he said stroking his moustache.
"Er thanks sir" Edith muttered as they went through the door he told them.

Indeed there were two long tables with a few boys dotted up and down. They sat where there were three spare seats and waited whilst hundreds of women came through the double doors carrying trays and trays of food. The Porter's were served first and Edith frowned at the food they were given.

On the plate were two slices of thin ham. Also was a bowl of chicken and some sort of bird. Betsy went to eat with her fingers but one of the cooks told her off and showed her how to use a knife and fork properly. She tried her hardest to cut the ham but slipped and it landed on the floor. She sniffed and waited until the woman had left then used her fingers to eat the rest.

They were also given a cup of water each and a jug was placed in the middle of their table to refill their cups. Betsy put her head on Francesca's shoulder and started to drift off to sleep.

When Betsy woke, she was being carried back up to their room by Edith as Francesca's stomach hurt. It wasn't as busy going back up to their room as many of the children went out to play with the boys or stayed downstairs around the fire.
"What happened?" she mumbled rubbing her eyes as she was thrown onto her bed by Edith. She turned over and rolled off the bed.
"Oh dear Bet are you alright?" Francesca asked trying hard not to laugh.
"Er yeah I think so- I wonder if any of the other girls are friendly?" Betsy replied changing the subject a little.

"I am sure there are loads of nine year old girls to play with- I'll come help you find a friendly girl for you to play with" Francesca said taking hold of Betsy's hand and leading her out the door.
"Don't get into any trouble whilst I'm gone Edith" she warned as the door closed behind them.

Betsy's shoes echoed off the polished floor. They were that clean that it was like looking into a mirror. Francesca opened the door to the room opposite their's and inside were two six year olds sitting playing with some marbles.
"Okay let's keep on looking" Betsy laughed. They left that room and tried the one next door, this one they had more luck.

Francesca knocked on the door and there was a pause and then somebody opened the door. There stood three brunette girls and one with spectacles balanced on her nose.
"Hi, I'm Betsy and I'm nine and I'm looking for some friends here" Betsy said proudly sticking out her chest.
"Well I'm Angelica, Grace is the one with the green eyes and that's Lucia with the blue eyes" the girl with the glasses said.
"When are you ten?" Lucia asked.
"Erm next Wednesday- why?"
"Oh! Wow! We were born on the exactly the same day- although I will be eleven then not ten!" she exclaimed jumping up and down.

"How old are you Grace?" Betsy asked amazed that her and Lucia had the same birthday. Grace looked up and smiled from ear to ear.
"It's my birthday on New Year's Eve next year and I will be eight then" she said in a squeaky voice.
"What about you Angelica?" Betsy said. She knew Angelica was much older then her but she still asked.
"I'm sixteen on November 26th. What about you?" she replied looking at Francesca.
she held onto her stomach and then replied
"Me and my identical twin will turn fifteen in June 14th. I think it's only next month- I wonder what me and Edith will get". she drifted off.
"Who is Edith?" Grace piped up looking confused.
"My twin- she's not like me though she would probably punch your face if you said something she didn't like!" Grace gulped and Francesca left leaving Betsy with them.

Francesca got back to the room and found Edith asleep on the carpet. Carefully Francesca lifted her skinny sister and plonked her on her bed.
"Lord! You're heavy!" she exclaimed as Edith started to snore softly.

An hour later Edith was awake and sat on the end of her bed when there was a knock at the door. There stood Angelica with Betsy.
"Here's Betsy it's getting late you should put her to bed" Angelica said. Betsy ran in the room and Edith slammed the door in Angelica's face!
"Edith don't you dare do that to Angelica!" Betsy roared tugging her sisters hair. Francesca ran out the room to apologise to her whilst Edith and Betsy hit each other and scratched with their nails.

"Stop it both of you!" Francesca screeched as she came back into their room.
"Matron heard you fighting and is on her way- quickly Betsy get into your bed!" she ordered. Betsy crossed her arms annoyed.
"Why it's only a quarter to eight! Just because I'm smaller than you doesn't mean I have to go to bed that early!" she sulked.

Matron slammed the door open.
"Did I hear noise when the under tens are about to go to sleep?" she thundered making Betsy whimper.
"Do I have to go to bed Matron?" Betsy asked timidly.
"Well how old are you?"
"I'm nine"
"All under tens have to be in bed for 8'oclock so start getting changed like a good girl"
"But.... but I'm ten next week" she stammered about to cry.
"So? You're nine at the moment so hop to it girl before I cane you for answering back!"

As Matron left, Edith laughed at Betsy.
"It's not funny Edith- if you laugh again I will punch you!" she said trying to act brave.
"Nobody will punch anybody and Betsy it's ten to eight now so go to the toliet quickly" Francesca reasened. Betsy hung her head and walked solemly out the room and to the bathroom a few doors down.

"I wonder what time me and you have to go to sleep Edith?" Fran asked her sister.
"I dunno- ask that girl with the spectacles I'm sure she will know" Edith said not really bothered if she got into trouble.
"Okay wait there I'll go and talk to her now" she replied standing up and walking towards the door.

Francesca knocked on their new friends door and Lucia answered. Grace stood eagerly behind in her night gown ready for bed.
"Hi Grace where's your sister?" Francesca asked.
"Oh Angelica- she went to Matron's room with a headache but she should be back any moment" Grace replied still smiling. As she finished speaking, the door opened and in walked Angelica.
"Oh hi Fran- what are you doing here? Grace needs to go to bed soon" she said frowning.
"Well it's our first night here you see and we know Betsy has to be in bed in five minutes but what about the rest of us?" Francesca asked cautious of the time.
"Oh I see now- well under tens 8'o clock, under fifteen's 9'oclock and sixteen and over at 10'oclock. It's pretty early for some of us but it's Monday tomorrow and it's a 6'oclock start" Angelica replied.
"Thanks- I'll see you in the morning. Come into our room b ecause none of us have any idea where we're going!" Francesca said as she closed the door behind her.

When Francesca went back in the room she told Edith the times and kissed Betsy on the forehead. She wasn't at all sleepy. She sat upright in the bed and no matter how many times she tried she just couldn't drift off!
"We have an early start tomorrow Betsy- go to sleep or you'll be tired. You have a big double bed all to yourself- that's it go to sleep" Francesca soothed as her sister fell asleep.
"Come on Edith- let's go downstairs I don't want to wake her" she continued grabbing Edith's arm. The twins silently crept down the twisting stairs and saw mnay of the older children sitting around the fire or sitting at the Dinner Tables. Francesca sat on a stool in front of the log fire and Edith sat on the rug beside her.
"It's strange not having Betsy with us all the time" Edith said staring at the fire.
"I suppose it is- but she's got some friends now and Angelica forgives you so I'm sure you can make friends" Francesca said rubbing her cold hands together.

"Is it just me or do we all look so dark and mysterious?" Edith asked.
"Well we do have dark hair and eyes. Plus pale skin so I suppose we are dark- I can't say you're not mysterious but me and Betsy are pretty socialable" Francesca said thoughtfully.
"I miss not being able to paint or play our old piano- it's seems like a piece of me is missing" Edith complained sighing.
"Hmmmm, I do miss mother so- but it's quiet here. At home we were unsafe with all the bombings and we didn't get much food either" Francesca muttered standing up and stretching.
"Come on Edith it's quarter past- I'm tires so me might as well get an early night"
"Oh alright then I'll go to bed- I wonder what we will do tomorrow?" Edith replied standing too.

The girls trudged back up the stairs and bumped into Matron.
"Ahh you girls having an early night? Good good sleep well" she said in her shrill voice. Edith raised an eyebrow as they tiptoed into their room. Betsy was sound asleep so didn;t wake when the other two got changed. They went to the toilet to relieve themselves and then got into bed.

"It's only half eight Fran- at home normally all of us would be sitting in the main room telling stories to one another" Edith said staring up at the canopy above her bed.
"Yeah it's weird- Angelica is coming round in the morning to show us where to go" Francesca yawned drifting off to sleep.

6'oclock the next morning a loud continues whirring noise sounded.
"Quick to the anderson shelter!" Betsy mumbled in her sleep.
"Dont be daft Bet dear- we're at Hampton Court remember? No bombings here" Francesca piped up cheerfully. Edith started to wake up too as the alarm stayed on loud and clear.

The Porter's took their night gowns off and put on fresh underwear and clean clothes. They all went to the toilets together and were clean and washed for half six. Angelica came inside in her best dress and bare feet like the Porter's. Grace followed her in, then Lucia wearing a pale blue dress which brought out the colour in her eyes. They all had grubby feet and had left dirty footprints all over the floor.

Matron stomped in, searching the room with her beady eyes. "Why are those feet dirty you lot! Oi! Yes you skinny!" she screeched, pointing at Edith. "Problem Matron?" she lifted an eyebrow. "Problem! Of course there is a problem! You have dirt all over your face, arms and legs! This is not a zoo! And you, little one with the long hair- you're just as bad! Come with me you too useless toerags- time for a proper bathing!" she spat from across the room. Betsy and Edith nervously followed her out their room and into the bathroom.

The bathroom consisted of lots of chamber pots in separate cubicles for privacy, There was also a large, tin tub that was used for a bath. "You two filthy city children will stay here when I go and get some water. You're useless pregnant sister can help me" Matron shouted at Betsy who looked like she was going to cry. They waited and waited in silence until finally, they heard Francesca's struggles reach the door. Her and Matron held very heavy buckets of ice cold water. "Take your clothes off!" Matron ordered tipping the ice cold water into the tin tub. Fran tipped her bucket into the tub, looked pleadingfully at her sisters and then crept out the room.

It was a freezing morning and Betsy and Edith stood their naked, shivering until their skin turned blue. The tin tub water had tiny little clumps of ice on the top where the water had started to freeze. Betsy pulled the ribbon out of her hair and stepped forward. "You're not going to make us stand in that bath are you matron? It looks terribly deep it will come up to my shoulders! Edith can go first" Betsy whimpered. "Well you're not going to stand- I'm going to dunk you in. And you..." Matron spat grabbing hold of Betsy. "Are going to go first" she laughed evilly and threw Betsy into the ice cold bath. Steam came off her skin and she struggled to come back to the surface. Matron grabbed her hair and then got an old cloth and scrubbed her so hard that her skin went raw red and some places started to bleed. Betsy couldn't feel her torn skin because of the coldness of the water.

The rest happened very quickly. The water had red spots in from the blood but the water was still turning to ice. There was suddenly a cracking noise and then the water froze, with Betsy inside. She started to shake uncontrolably and then her head slumped down and she fell under the water, unconscious. "You stupid idiot- you've nearly killed her. Unless you go and fetch all the towels we have then I will tell Mrs Gutteridge that you purposely tried to kill her!" Edith roared trying to oull Betsy from the ice. Matron looked very flustered and ran out of the room, shouting at the top of her voice. "Everyone inside your rooms, only come out if you have a blanket or towel and then give them to me. Those who give shall be rewarded!" she shouted, a desperate plea in her voice.

Edith began to panic. It had been a few seconds now and she ould hear Betsy' heartbeat slowing. She piked up one of the chamber pots and used it to break the ice. The ice shattered and then Betsy was out the tub and lying on the fllor, her body silent and paralysed. Edith took a deep breath and then shouted as loud as she possibly could "Fraaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!". The building was quiet for a second and then Fran came rushing into the room with towels. "Matron gave me these" she hurried wrapping towels around the stiff body lying on the floor. More people came in with more towels until Betsy took a gasp and woke up suddenly.

Matron came in the bathroom and nearly tripped on the wet floor. She held a first aid kit and a stretcher. Betsy was nearly 10 times her size with the towels around her, everyone struggled to get her on the stretcher. "Right dear. I know you're scared but please answer this question for me- did you swallow any of the water?" Matron asked taking a needle from her first aid box. "Yes- I swallowed loads" Betsy gasped. Matron turned white and then pulled a hand out from under the towels, with shaking hands, she put the long thin needle into Betsy's middle finger. She ushed the purple liquid inside and Betsy's eyes grew deary.

"That's it Betsy, go to sleep- when you wake everything will be better" Francesca soothed as the drugged Betsy went off to Dream World. Edith shrugged a towel around her body as she was still naked and then helped lift the stretcher to Matron's room. "We need to bled her Edith- she has pneamonia" Matron whispered, brandishing a very large needle that was as big as a screwdriver. It was as sharp as a knife and cut through Betsy's wrist easily and cut through her vein. The vein immediately cut straight in half and then Matron inserted a small metal tube inside both ends of the vein, she then attached the tube to a plastic dish which the blood began to pour into. Betsy stuttered and gasped in her sleep and Edith chewed the inside of her mouth as Matron fastened the little girl tighter to the stretcher and then tied her to a post so that she was standing. The bllod kept on pouring out and Betsy's heary grew quieter and quieter. Edith and Matron were silent for a while.

"Why do you have to remove her blood, Matron" Edith whispered into the silence. "Because her blood is contaminated. We take as much out as possible, clean it, then put it back in whilst we take the rest of the blood from the other side of the body" Matron explained, fetching another dish as the other had filled up. It was a horrible sight, Betsy's arm cut open with a pipe on one of her veins, sucking her blood and energy and maybe even her life away from her.

An hour later, Betsy stopped breathing and Matron acted fast. She pulled the tube from her vein and chucked it onto the floor, she then put a dressing over the wound and fastened it very tightly so blood stopped coming out. Betsy took ragged breaths and her eyes fluttered open. "Am I all better now Matron?" she choked. "Nearly there poppet, nearly there" Matron assured trying to swallow back tears. Matron covered a small rag in chlorofoam and pressed it over Betsy's mouth and nose. "Hey ouch..." Betsy trailed off as she fell back into a deep sleep.

Francesca came into the room a little later just as Edith was helping Matron seal the opening in Betsy's wrist. Matron stitched her arm up and then faced the twins. "She will die if we don't give her more blood in the next 15 minutes. It takes 24 hours to clean this blood. One of you has to donate to her. I'm afraid Edith it's going to be you. If we take Francesca's then there is the risk that Betsy will fall pregnant" she said. Edith looked afraid. "We're going to have to take quite a lot so I'm going to put you to sleep, that's it lie on the table and relax" Matron soothed as she put the cloth soaked in chlorofoam over Edith's face.

Almost instantly, Edith was asleep and Matron was making a hole in her forearm with a scalpel. As soon as she started to bleed, Matron tipped the arm upside down so all the blood went into another dish. Francesca grew woozy looking at all the blood in dishes scattered around the room. Betsy's colour was going and everyone could hear her heart trying to beat as hard as possible. "Quick Matron, Betsy won't last much longer" Fran urged. "You're right" Matron muttered back, throwing a long tube with a needle on the end at Fran.

Francesca concentrated as hard as she could, trying to find a vein in Edith's skinny forearm. Matron had found a vein instantly in Edith's right arm, Fran was having no luck with the left. Eventually, when Fran pushed down with her thumb and finger on the crease of Edith's elbow, she felt movement underneath and pushed the needle in. When she pulled the syringe, dark red blood came out thick and fast. Soon the tube was full and Fran pulled it off the needle. The needle stayed in the arm whilst the tube was emptied into the dish and then Fran dived in again. Soon they had two dishes and Edith lay as pale as Betsy did.

Matron made a hole in Betsy's leg and then threw all the towels off her, she covered her up but so that all of her limbs were on show. Matron made a hole in her other leg and then Betsy's good arm. She shoved clear tubes into the holes and put the other end of each one into the dishes of Edith's blood. The colour in Betsy's cheeks came back and she started to wake up. "Am I better now, Matron?" she mumbled in her sleep. "Yes Betsy. Yes you are better now. Keep still for a while. You need to thank your sister for giving you blood- she saved your life" Matron said stroking Betsy's face. "Thanks Fran" Betsy said not realising it was the wrong sister. "No no. It was Edith that risked her life for you Betsy. You seem shocked poppet. She was the only one that could do it". Betsy was speechless and mumbled a thanks, then fell back to sleep, naturally this time.

Edith woke up a little while later feeling very light headed. When she had started to fall asleep, Matron had made a hole in her right arm. When she woke she had a hole in her left as well. She was lying in Matron's room,  in a clean bed with Betsy sitting up in a bed next to her. She had survived- only just. Betsy had white paper tape around her hands where all the holes were and was wearing a nightgown. She had a stitched hole in each leg with heavy bruises around each one. Francesca was sitting behind Betsy plaiting her now clean hair.

"If you're alright, you two can go back to school tomorrow. I might let you have another day off- depends how you are later. You've got a visitor Edith" Matron said to nobody in particular. Angelica popped her head around the door. "Edith- this might sound cheesey but here goes. You slammed doors in my face, said mean things about me and my sisters and pretty much were horrible to everybody. I thought you never had a heart. But now I realise you have, you're all over the radio Edie. You have a heart down there Edith and I'm glad you did it. You'll make a lot of friends now. I hope you and Betsy feel better now" she said, leaving the room to silence.

Edith began to cry, not because of what Angelica had said to insult her, but that she really had a heart and was going to make friends. Once she started she couldn't stop, tears fell down her night gown. But the most surprising thing was, Matron cam eover and actually gave her a hug. "Things are going to change around here" Matron muttered.

Three days later, Edith had her blood back, Betsy was back to normal and Fran's stomach was bigger than ever. They settled in at their school, they had a lovely teacher, Mrs Beatrice and they learnt to read or write. The months flew past and Fran nearly completely forgot about the baby on the way. Angelica and Edith were best pals, Betsy turned ten and got to stay up later and her and Fran played all day with Lucia and Grace.

Betsy ran down the stairs in her clean, bare feet. In lessons, they weren't put in classes for age, but brightness. So the three of them were in the same class of learning. This week they had been writing letters home and Betsy had hers ready. It was about everything that happened, Edith saving her life and making friends, Fran's baby any day soon an that they were going to learn how to ride a horse and to look after the dogs. She handed the letter to Matron, smiled sweetly and them skipped back up the stairs to Fran. She needed help getting up and was constantly vomiting everywhere.

The next night, Edith went downstairs to meet somebody whilst Betsy snuggled up beside Fran on the carpet. They both had thier hands gently resting against Fran's bump when they felt the baby turn round. Fran turned white and looked like she was going to vomit again. "Get Matron!" she gasped, clutching her mouth. The under 10's were asleep at this time but this was an emergency. "Matron! Matron this is an emergency. You can cane me later but please come! Fran needs your help!" little Betsy shouted. Many girls put their heads around doors whilst others started shouting Matron. Angelica took Betsy's hand as Matron came and together they ran back into the room.

Francesca was lying on the floor, vomiting into a chamber pot that was under her bed. There was water all over the floor from when her waters had broke and tears were rolling down her cheeks. They all struggled to lift her onto her bed and then Angelica went to fetch some ice. "I'll be back in a second"a Matron whispered to Fran. "No... don't leave me" she choked. But Matron had already left, seconds ater she had a syringe full of gloopy medicine. It had no needle and quickly it was being poured into Fran's throat. She stopped panting and relaxed a little.

Everything went fine, until an hour later Francesca went into labour. "You lot should go now, leave me with her" Matron ordered, putting more ice to Fran's forehead. Angelica went back to her room and Betsy ran downstairs to tell Edith the news. Nobody was there, apart from Edith and a fifteen year old boy lying on the carpet together, fully naked. Betsy couldn't believe her eyes. "Sorry to interfere Edith as I know you're obviously very busy. But I would think twice about getting pregnant. Fran's in labour upstairs and she can hardly control herself. I wouldn't Edith, please don't" Betsy pleaded. Edith laughed and they carried on. It was not a pretty sight for Betsy. But it was Edith's own fault if she got pregnant so she left them to their own business- or each others.

Betsy pretended to gag as she walked away but got no reply. The long haired girl went through to the dark and gloomy tables in the other dining room. One of the cooks was singing beautifully to herself. Once she had finished the song, Betsy spoke "That was beautiful cook". The young cook smiled and gave her a small piece of bread. "Shouldn't you be asleep by now" she asked. Betsy nodded "My sisters about to have a baby and my other sister is making a baby, so I thought I'd come here. Matron says I can come down here as long as I'm quiet" Betsy replied, munching on the brown bread. The cook smiled as a scream came from upstairs. "She'll be like that until at least tomorrow evening, if I were you I'd grab some blankets and sleep in a friends or down here" cook told Betsy, gesturing for her to sit beside her. They talked and gossiped like that all night until when it started to get light and Matron came down to find Betsy.

"Hey Matron- how's Fran?" Betsy asked. "She's coping. The baby's trying it's hardest to get out so she should be a mother by lunch time" Matron beamed. "What will I be to the baby?" Betsy asked, curiously. "The baby will be your niece or nephew and you will be it's aunt" Matron said, taking a seat next to Betsy and the cook.
© Copyright 2010 R.Houghton (rachaelray15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644906-Tears--Fears