*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656264-College-Week-The-Nightingales-Way
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1656264
Written for PLM College of Nursing Coffee Table Book
For the last 40 years, the PLM College of Nursing has been holding its annual Nightingales’ Week. It has been a week packed with fun-filled activities for both students and faculty. A high time of proudly celebrating the college’s existence, this week-long event becomes bigger and better as each year passes. It’s much more than merry-making but an opportunity to develop the total wellness of every nursing student. 

More than Just Beauty
One of the exhilarating highlights of the nursing week is the Mister and Miss Nightingale, a search for the exemplary male and female student nurse who posses beauty, intelligence, talent, and pleasing personality.  Aspiring candidates strut themselves out giving the best they could offer. Without a doubt, each male and female candidate has surely something to brag but still, only one can hold the prestigious title. In 2007, Mark Jheran Alvarez and Carolina Mariazeta were declared title holders, followed by Eloi John de Guzman and Elaine for the year 2008.

Bop It!
Dancers of the College of Nursing will never let the Boom, Boom, Let’s Dance Contest pass.  Here, they absolutely krump the audience as they groove and shake their funky moves and stunts with a hype rhythm. Their full-bodies and adrenaline drive, beyond doubt, can sip out your energy and knock you down. Be it a breakdance, harlem, or moonwalk, every dance group will take your breath away. BSN 3-1 won the dance completion last 2008.

The Next Big Star
The Singing Nightingale Contest gives a chance for vocalists to shine for a moment and show their passion and love for music. Contestants serenade their audiences with their mesmerizing and soulful voices that are truly hair-raising. Capturing the hearts’ of their listeners with the song of their choice, a star is found within and about to be born. Singing Nightingale for 2007 was Barry and for 2008 was Nerissa Peralta.

In the Name of Art
Nursing students have released their inner-creativity through the college’s Poster Making Contest with different themes represented every year. With splashing colors and array of art mediums, submitted posters reflect friendship, pride, and excellence of the College of Nursing. This is a solid proof that messages can be conveyed not only through spoken words, but also through works of art.

Beneath the Pen and Paper
Writers at heart are given the chance to show off their writing prowess through the Essay Writing Contest.  With a represented theme and a mighty pen, the nursing students unleash their thoughts through writing. In the year 2008, Shelly Colleen Heredia bagged the 1st place, Valerie Gonzaga for the 2nd place, and Mae Cris Sofia Guttierez for the 3rd place.

Lights, Camera, Cheese!
Nursing students with artistic ability in capturing photos are part of the Picture Perfect Photography Contest. The photos taken necessitate substance and appeal in relation to the theme provided. As nursing photographers bring out their cameras and look for the perfect shot, awe-inspiring images are to be awaited. Rommel Astorga won 1st place in Picture Perfect Contest last 2008.

Let’s Get Ready to Rumble!
All-star athletes and adventurers also have a spot in the College of Nursing Sportsfest under three sports event namely basketball, volleyball and amazing race. Players in all year levels, with their active minds and bodies, shed sweat, blood, and tears just to bring home the bacon. Through the years, sports have always been a means to shape the values of sportsmanship and camaraderie.

The Hidden Side of a Man
The Miss Earthworm Pageant is a much anticipated event that spices up the Nursing week. For once in their lifetimes, real men dress up and project the inner woman in them. But the again, it’s more than just beauty, intelligence and pleasing personality are major assets in order  to be a certified Miss Earthworm.  Missing a glimpse of this event means missing a chance to laugh out till your heart’s content.  Miss Earthworm last 2008 was Ron Adam Dizon.

Let the Beat Rock
To end the college week with a blast, the Battle of the Bands pave way for student nurses to showcase their talents in music. Each year level rock n’ rolled the PLM grounds and closed the event with a bang.
© Copyright 2010 Valerie Gonzaga (val_babypink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656264-College-Week-The-Nightingales-Way