*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656260-Lever-in-Building-a-Better-a-World
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1656260
Essay for Goi Peace Foundation
“The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it”
                                                                  -  Robert L. Park, in New York Times, 7 December 1999.

Looking back from the past and at present, transformation has been evident. The advancements we enjoy nowadays were all because of the scientific endeavours man has persistently fostered. From microscopic organisms to sublime explorations in the outer space, science will always be the medium utilized to elevate and enhance the quality of life.

We owe to science man’s basic needs such as electricity, water, and flourishing supply of food. These necessities were now within our reach and made our complex lives simpler. Without the help of science, perhaps, we all remained to be worn out nomads 24/7 here on earth.   
           
Apparently, science has favourably invaded even the comfort of our homes. Washing machines, microwave ovens, dishwashers, and vacuum cleaners were designed to be user-friendly and made everyday household chores sweat-free. Therefore, the lengthy time expended in cleaning can now be allocated to more essential priorities such as family bonding and career obligations.

Another major development science has contributed was improved means of transportation. Voyages in the early times lasted years to be able to reach the other side of the sphere. Conveying heavy goods required the strength of a hundred men or the power of horses. But at this time, air crafts were used to cross mountains and oceans, no matter the distance. Cargos and merchandises were transported by ships and big trucks, resulting to better trade. Also, the light way rail transit remained to be the popular choice and economical means of public transportation. Hence, travel time, money spent, and human forces exerted were all minimized. 

Behind the construction of infrastructures and public highways, knowledge in science has been the foundation.  Caves and tree houses of the ancient times were replaced by high rising condominiums and contemporary subdivisions of today. Shopping malls, hotels, and resorts have been established where people can unwind and recreate. Roads, tunnels, and bridges were built to link cities and states and for safe travel. Subsequently, these changes provided a whole lot of convenience for the community.

Moreover, science has enormously influenced the business sector. For instance, lifting heavy loads in pier and construction sites became effortless due to the simple pulley system of cranes. A great deal of benefits provided the farmers from the brilliant abilities of a combine harvester. Printing presses currently mass-produced newspapers and books daily. With doubled efficiency, manufacturing companies increased their production through automated machines. Consequently, laborers’ heavy works were trimmed down and supplies needed by many were augmented.

Not to mention, the medical field has come along way with outpouring advances. With the growing prevalence of chronic conditions across the lifespan, medical, surgical and nursing practices expanded.  People were provided with several options from the various pharmacologic medications available in the market. Also, state-of-the-art facilities and medical equipment in hospitals and clinics strengthened and supported the demand for improvement in health and wellness.

In addition, the high-tech gadgets we take pleasure from in this day and age were due to the modernization of science and technology. Mp3s and I-pods were custom-made with dynamic features so entertainment was right at the palm of our hands. Precious moments and events in our lives were easily captured and treasured with the use of digital camcorders. Also, work operations and communication system were enhanced to a great extent. People can select from a wide array of mobile phones and computers packed with remarkable features. And of course, quick access to information and high-speed transactions were possible through the World Wide Web.

These were some of the myriad of benefits that science has offered. Certainly, there’s more to be expected, for science is a discipline which has engraved its place in society, that in no way we can deny. The only challenge posed to man was the proper utilization of these scientific accomplishments. Science has fulfilled its noble goal and so, we too, must partake.

Beyond doubt, the broad field of science played a fundamental role in building a better world, both in minute and dramatic ways. Global upgrade surged in all facets shaping and simplifying the existence of mankind.  Breakthroughs and innovations continuously develop all throughout the globe. The unceasing call for discoveries and advances on any height to improve and provide necessitated the aid of science. With mankind’s profound intelligence and immense creativity, scientific progress unstoppably transpires fulfilling the world’s needs and desires.
© Copyright 2010 Valerie Gonzaga (val_babypink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1656260-Lever-in-Building-a-Better-a-World