*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657149-Why-I-did-it
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #1657149
An explanation of my user name and handle
Once upon a time there was a little girl named Margaret. Margaret's loving grandmother always called her Magi (pronounced like "Maggie"). Margaret did not like the nickname very much. it seems there was this popular comic strip with a character called "Maggie". Margaret thought the character was unattractive and did not like the comparison.

At ten, Margaret read her first science fiction book, "A Wrinkle in Time", and fell in love! The main character's nickname was "Meg" and Margaret instantly adopted it as her own. Meg's grandmother complied, most of the time! Although she frequently forgot.

As Meg grew up she realized her nickname was not nearly as important as having people who loved her. Her use of "Meg" faded.

By the time the Internet made its appearance, Margaret had quit using "Meg" and adopted "Magi" for most of her internet activities. With only four key strokes, Magi was much preferred over "Margaret"!

On September 19, 1999 Magi lost her beloved grandmother. As a tribute and constant reminder of that remarkable woman, Margaret made the use of "Magi" more of her life, using it on-line as well as in the "real" world.

Eventually, Magi found her way to WDC and had to create a user name and a handle. Since most user names required six or more characters, Magi decided to combine "Magi" with her middle name "Marie", hence "magimarie" and "Ms. Magi".

© Copyright 2010 Ms.Magi (magimarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1657149-Why-I-did-it