*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662470-Bring-the-Car-from-the-Stable
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1662470
Revenage of a wife.
Bring the Car from the Stable.


Toby dressed as she raced from the room. She could see him watching her go with a glazed look on his face. His hands were busy with the small hamster he petted with such love and care. Toby quickly turned her head away again and found the buttons of her blouse as the waltz filtered into the hall behind her.

Demos watched her shadow scurry down the hall and disappear into the light. Gently he stroked Dimpsey the hamster. Picking Dimpsey up with his left hand he placed him in his right, and waltz around the large study to the sound of the music. Once again he felt content with the world around him. Demos wanted the feeling to last forever, control was so important in life.

Before he knew it Demos had drunk three scotches and swirled around the room several times. Dimpsey had fallen asleep in his right hand while the sun had set. The closing of the front door brought him back to the fact that the waltz had ended an hour ago, even as he danced on.

Charlotte now stood in the partially open door of the study. Her hair was pulled back in it's normal tight bun at the base of her neck. Her gray dress was wrinkle free even after the long day she had spent in it. Lowering the two bags she held in her hands to the floor by the door of the study, her dress rustled softly into Demos mind as she walked up to him, causing Dimpsey to stir in his hand. With a frown Demos placed him back into his cage and went to greet his wife with a barely touching hug.

Charlotte removed herself from his touch as soon as possible, while glaring at Dimpsey as she stepped back. " How was your day dear?" Her soft voice rang through Demos' mind.

" Things went as they were planned." Demos answer while pouring another drink.

Charlotte nodded as she walked across the room to a small love seat by the window. Waiting for her husband to offer her a drink she looked over at the days newspaper. The headline screamed at her, " Murder Trial in Second Day…" Realizing the offer of a drink would not come, Charlotte turned her head to look out the window. " I see your case is still making headlines. Will the girl your hiding here be on the stand soon?" The disdain in her voice was undeniable.

Demos turned his attention back from his drink to his wife. " I don't know. I don't know if I will need her on the stand or not. I will just have to wait and see how the trial goes. With the killing of Police Officers over illegal alcohol, and her being the only witness, I need to know where she is at all times. We wouldn't want her to be harmed, now would we?"

Charlotte said nothing in return as the sound of children's voices flowed down the hall towards them. Instead she rose straight-backed from her seat and went to greet them in the hall, hoping to steer them clear of the study. Demos dismissed her from his mind before she was even gone by picking Dimpsey back up from his cage. Following the sound of the waltz in his head, he glided across the room and replaced the needle back at the front of the record.

Charlotte hurried the children down the hall to change for the evening meal. She prayed silently that Demos would not bother to come down for it. Hearing him speak the soft words of " Gentleman of the jury…" to Dimpsey as she closed the door behind her. Charlotte hoped she would be able to stomach the meal herself knowing that she would soon accompany Demos to the Inn.


*****

Charlotte was always thankful of any meal she didn't spend with Demos. She was also sorry to see them end, knowing she would once again be in his presence. With heavy feet she walked back up the spiral staircase letting the feel of Oak under her hand sooth her journey. Once at the top of the stairs Charlotte took a deep breath, and forced herself down the hall to the closed study door. She knew she was not lucky enough in one night that Demos had fallen asleep, thus releasing her from him.

Raising her hand to knock softly on the door, she was surprised to see it swing away from her. In its place stood Demos and Dimpsey. " Your not taking him are you? You know that car will only make him sick." Charlotte tried to sound concerned.

Demos' sigh sounded more like a soft growl; " Of course you're right dear. Come Dimpsey, and go back into your cage." Walking back into the study, Demos lowered the hamster carefully into his cage. Then turned back to his wife in the open doorway, " Is it chilly outside?"

Charlotte shook her head no, and moved back towards the head of the stairs. Demos knew she was running from his presence and smiled sarcastically at her back. " Why darling, aren’t you ready to see your friends again? It has been a few days since I have seen mine. This case is so important, and has taken so much of my time. You would think that you would look forward to our Wednesday night outings."

Turning to face Demos with a reply Charlotte was struck silent by movement in the corner of her right eye. For a brief second she didn't recognize the young girl hurrying to her room. " Oh Toby, so good to see you. How are you feeling?" She called out.

Demos face changed to one of rage as his remark was ignored over the welfare of a street urchin. " I'm fine, thank you, Mrs. Callaway." Toby called back and hurried fearfully into her small room. Charlotte smiled brightly up at Demos as the response met her ears, then turned to continue her way back down the stairs.


****


The ride in the car was quite as each mate thought about how much they hated each other. The fifteen minutes was almost more than either could stand. Parking as close to the small Inn as possible, Demos quickly got out of the car and walked across the dirt parking lot. Charlotte watched him go from the front seat with seething hatred in her eyes. Taking several deep breaths, Charlotte got her emotions back under control, and then followed him.


Standing in the open door of the Inn, Charlotte could hear laughter raising above something Demos was saying to the crowd in the dance room. Feeling sick to her stomach, she again took a deep breath, and then made her way into the room after her husband. " I tell you the case is won, what God fearing men would let police killers walk our safe streets?" Demos called to his crowd of happy followers. Several replies of agreement met Demos ears as drinks were raised high in the air. " This silly defense of anyone could be the killers simply because a weapon was not found will not save them!" Demos continued arrogantly.


Charlotte's mind screamed with rage as she watched Demos play to loyal fans. " Yes dear, but that being the case, couldn't you very well be the killer?" Her mouth followed an order she was unaware she had given it. " For all anyone knows these two gentlemen heard the shots, and went to investigate."


Demos spun around to face her as if she was the defending attorney on the case. The flash of his audience reminded him that he was not in court, and he laughed weakly.

" After I am finished showing all the evidence even my wife would be able to convict." A smile spread across his face at the sounds of agreeing laughter.


Charlotte quickly turned her back to him and went to speak with the other wife's who had been dragged down to the Inn. Silently she prayed this night would end without her having to speak to Demos again. After two hours of his voice piercing her skull, Charlotte's prayers were answered. " Well dear, it is getting late. I do have court in the morning. Don't you think we should be going?" Demos' voice mocked her from across the room. Without a word to him, she rose from her seat and began walking towards the main door of the room. Demos took his time shuffling behind her.


Charlotte waited beside the car as Demos stopped in the doorway of the Inn and smelled the night air. He smiled brightly at her across the street, and then shuffled slowly across the street to where he had parked. Walking around to his side, he open his door and got in, leaving Charlotte to open her own door.


*****

The ride home started in silence again. Halfway to their destination Charlotte cried for Demos to pull over. " I think I'm car sick, and I don't want that smell in here."

Demos grudgingly brought the car to a stop and watched his wife jump out of the passenger door. He made no attempt to follow her as she slipped into the trees along side the road for privacy. But after several minutes had passed, Demos was tired of waiting on her. " Are you through, or would a walk in the night air make you feel better?"

Charlotte reappeared from the tree line. There was something shiny in her raised hand as she called back, " I'm through." Then a loud bang slammed the air. With a small smile Charlotte walked back to the car and got in on the drivers' side. Placing the car back in gear she continued the trip home.

Once they were home, Charlotte parked the car in the old stables several feet from the house. Getting out of the car, she dropped her gun in the floorboard and closed the door behind her. Humming a soft waltz under her breath she made her way into the house and up the stairs to bed.


*****

It was nine in the morning when Charlotte finished her breakfast. The children were already off to school, and Toby sat across the table from her. " Oh Toby, do you drive?" Charlotte asked in a sweet voice.

Toby shook her head no, and tried to think of some way to escape the dining room. " I see, well it really is quiet fun. What do you say we get to know each other, since it seems you could be staying here for awhile? I could take you out, and teach you?"

Toby's faced paled as she thought of spending the day with the woman of the house. " I couldn't take up your time." She stuttered softly.

Charlotte smiled sweetly, " Nonsense, Oh James, could you get the car from the stables for us. We are going on a morning drive." Then she stood and headed for the front door while humming a little waltz.
© Copyright 2010 RedIniquity (iniquityred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662470-Bring-the-Car-from-the-Stable