*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662534-Wheres-Mama
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1662534
A promise to a child.
Where’s Mama?

It was quarter to seven, and he was supposed taking a bath. But Jazzy was standing still by the door, looking at every transport passing by. He couldn’t stop imagining about the school’s party. It was their Christmas party and he knew that he was going to have fun and Mama had promised to come with him.

Jazzy looked down, he turned around and sat lazily on a couch. He gazed at his sister who’s watching TV, the advertisements were all about Christmas; their house was full of Christmas ornaments. He took a deep breath he could hear the carols from their neighbor’s radio.

Out of the corner of his eye, Jazzy saw someone opening their gate. He stood up quickly and ran to the door. But it was his aunt not Mama.

“Jazzy, you have to take a bath now”, said Granny.

“Ok Granny.” Jazzy said to his granny, slowly walking to the bathroom.

Jazzy’s Mama looked at her watch; she stayed in the office for almost for twenty four hours. It was quarter past seven; she had just finished more than half of her sixteen days production’s report. Their new department head wanted a change at their daily production report so she had to revise her report fro day one until her new boss came.

She thought for a while. If she started to call now each person responsible for the data she needed, she could probably finish it within forty minutes. She smiled, took a piece of paper and pen then she began asking the information for her today’s report. She’s eager to finish her today’s report. She continuously phoned each department until she finished it.

Suddenly, someone came;

“Good morning”, Mr. Tony said.

“Good morning, Sir”, Jazlle replied.

Jazlle sat up straight and turned around. Mr. Tony was the new department head.

“How’s the report? Are you done revising it?” asked Mr. Tony.

She looked at Izhai, her colleague then slowly turned to her PC browsing the report from top to bottom.

“I’ve finished the ninety percent of it, Sir.” she replied.

“Is just that? Could you finish it today, about 10 am?”
As she heard that she tried to explain that she worked for more than twenty four hours and she had to leave to go with her son.

“Can I finish it later, Sir? My son is waiting for me, as soon as the party’s over I’ll come back here.”

“Excuse me, Mr. Tony, Jazlle had asked today’s off since last week. If you don’t mind I can continue her report after I’m done with my work.” Izhai said.

She looked at Izhai and smiled. She was relieved at last.

“That’s good because I have to present that report this afternoon.”

She knew that Mr. Tony was a bit disappointed for he was known as a workaholic person.

“Well, see me in my office and bring all the for signature’s documents.”

“Ok, Mr. Tony I will.”

She started putting the papers away. Then she showed to Izhai the report.

Jazzy and Jiluene were having breakfast. He was too excited to eat, still thinking about the party.

“Jazzy, is it okay if I come also?” asked Jiluene.

His mind was occupied by the activities they’re going to have.

“Jazzy, Jazzy”, she shouted.

“Yeah, sure”, he said. “You can come with us.”

Jazlle, his mama came to the school with Jiluene whenever he has school’s activities. She makes sure not to miss every activities Jazzy had even how busy her schedule was.

“It could be happier if dad is here also”, he said.

“Don’t worry, Jazzy mama and I will cheer you up”, Jiluene said and wink

“Thanks.”

“For sure dad will give you a call later.”

Jiluene was drinking her milk now while Jazzy was finishing his pancake.
Jazlle was rushing putting her things away. It’s almost eight she must leave the office she must leave the office now.

“Thanks for your help, Izhai.”

“Don’t mention it. Good luck and have fun.”

She waved her hand and strode out of the office. She walked quickly luckily there was a cab. She got in right away.

“By the way, what time mama will come?” Jiluene asked.

“She’s supposed to be here now.”

Jazzy looked at the clock on the wall. It’s quarter past eight; he wondered where his mama was now.

Jazlle keep stomping her foot on the cab’s floor. The car in front was not moving for five minutes. She kept looking at her watch and taking a deep breath. Finally, the cars moved and now she’s near to their place.

“Granny, the school program will start at 9am”, said Jazzy. “Mama and I will sing some of my classmates and their parents will dance. But Mama is not yet here”, Jazzy groaned.

“Just wait, maybe any minute she’ll be here”, said Granny.

Jazzy sighed and looked away towards their gate. There was no sign of his Mama. She wasn’t going to make it. She wouldn’t go with him and do their part in their program.

He threw himself on the couch. His throat felt tight and his eyes were prickling. A tear ran down his cheek. Suddenly the gate swung and mama ran straight to the door.

“I’m sorry, son…” Jazlle started to say.

He wiped his eyes.

“You’re here now, Mama”, he said and smiled.



© Copyright 2010 jazlle hugo (jazlle811 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1662534-Wheres-Mama