*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666486-The-Visitor
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1666486
Emily's recovery is in question until she has a special visitor.
The rainy day was depressing Emily even more than usual. All she could think of was everything she could not do. Lying in bed at the nursing home, memories came flooding back of all that had happened to her in the last three months. A stubbed toe on a rise in the sidewalk changed her life in a matter of seconds.

Ironically, she was visiting a friend in the hospital when the accident happened. On her way to her car, she tripped and fell, hitting her head on the concrete. Several days later when she finally awoke, they told her she had surgery for bleeding in the brain. In addition to that, a stroke zapped all the strength in her left arm and leg. She spent a month in the hospital, some of it in intensive care in a coma. Then they sent her to rehab for a month, but her progress proved unsatisfactory. The nursing home was the last stop on the list.

Everyone said she was lucky to be alive. She did not feel lucky. Would they call it lucky if they had to be lifted in and out of a wheelchair just to go for a ride in the hallway? No, she didn't think so. Tears rolled out the sides of her eyes making tracks like the rain on the window. Without any family, her future did not look very bright.

“Well, good morning, Sweetie. And how’s Miss Emily today? Do I see tears in those eyes? I hope not because today is going to be very special. A very important visitor is coming today, and I know for sure he’s coming to see you especially.”

Frowning at first at the stupid baby talk nurses seemed to mistake for intelligent conversation with the elderly, Emily stifled a smart alecky reply after hearing the somewhat interesting news. Who would be coming to see her?

“I know you’re interested. I can see it in your eyes.” Reaching into her pocket, Linda pulled out a red ball. “Oh, here. I almost forgot. Physical therapy sent this for you. You’re to try squeezing it with your left hand as often as you can remember. Be a good girl now, and try to think who that visitor can be.” Linda winked and went on to her next patient.

Emily was beginning to detest these blubbering nurses talking to her as if she was six years old. It made her so mad she pictured her fingers around Linda’s neck as she tried to squeeze the ball. Wow, that worked pretty good. She’d have to mention that to physical therapy.

Soon Emily heard oohs, aahs, and other exclamations of delight coming from the hallway outside the door to her room. She tried to roll onto her right side to get a better view but she didn't have much luck. The red ball slipped from her hand, bounced a couple of times on the tiled floor and disappeared as it rolled out the doorway.

“Well, look at that,” said someone out in the hallway.

Emily craned her neck but couldn’t see anything. She pushed the button with her right hand and raised her bed to a sitting position. Listening intently, she thought she heard some clicking and some swishing noises, and then, some whining sounds. If only she could get up! What was going on?

Then, slowly easing his head around the edge of the doorframe, the red ball appeared in the mouth of a beautiful golden retriever. Emily’s eyes were wide with amazement and a huge smile spread over her face. He looked almost like her Angie. Emily's neighbor was keeping Angie for her while she was in the "home". Hopefully, the arrangement would not be permanent. She loved her Angie.

“Hi, Boy. Whatcha got there?” Emily said as she held out her right hand. Sandy trotted over to the edge of the bed and dropped the ball into Emily’s hand. Needing a hand to pet Sandy, Emily transferred the ball to her limp left hand and succeeded in holding onto it. Sandy loved the attention as Emily stroked his silky blond fur, and he wagged his tail and nuzzled her hand in appreciation.

“I told you to expect a special visitor.” Linda came into the room carrying some doggie treats, which she handed to Emily. All of Emily’s rancor for Linda and for life in general melted away as her joy grew to replace it.

Sandy’s master poked her head in the door and Sandy's tail went into double time.

"Hi Emily. I'm Cheryl. I'm with Sandy. It looks as though she's made a new friend. If you like, we'll come back to see you every Wednesday."

"I'd like that very much. Did you know I have a retriever?"

"Yes, Linda told me. Sandy's part of the Nursing Home's pet visitation program. When you're all well, perhaps you and your pet would be interested in joining. If your Angie is anything like Sandy, she has boundless love just waiting to give to someone."

"That sounds like something to shoot for...a reason to get well."

Emily bent her head down and hugged Sandy as best she could while Sandy licked the tears of happiness from her face.

© Copyright 2010 Happy May 2024! (biddle.connie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1666486-The-Visitor