*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1670678-November-Rain
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1670678
A short story based on Mariah Carey's song "The Roof". Some phrases borrowed from lyrics.
        It was one of those November nights, the wind blowing through the trees and the storm clouds hovering in the sky. Lila sat by her living room window, her fingertips on the glass, reaching out for something lost in that cold. She was alone, warm and safe in her apartment, but her heart felt heavy and weak. She had this illogical urge to go outside and feel the cold night surround her. Slowly, Lila stood up and made her way to the door. Leaving her jacket behind, she quietly fastened the lock.

         Lila knew exactly where she was headed -- to the rooftop of her apartment building. It was like a ritual, her heels tapping softly as she climbed and climbed floor after floor, her breath echoing and her heart beat racing. And there she was again, on the rooftop, feeling the cold sink into her pores. Lila hugged herself to embrace the cold. Alone, she walked around the rooftop, smiling to herself with her chin tilted down, falling into a bliss.

         She closed her eyes and she could see everyone. They were dancing. The music was loud, bass booming. They had decorated the rooftop -- hung strings of colorful lights from the wire poles, set up a corner for the deejay, and spray-painted the walls. Lila sat with her friend Cheryl; they were commenting to each other on all the dancers. But all the while, Lila would stare at the rooftop door, waiting. Lila waited such a long time. It was getting late, but then he came through the door, and time stopped. It seemed like all the sadness had been building up inside of her, and now it was itching its way out. The music went on mute, Cheryl and the others were in another world. She went to him.  He took her hand and whispered something into her ear. They left the others behind, but she could not continue; she could not remember what happened next.

         Opening her eyes, Lila saw the sky suddenly open wide, showering, engulfing the whole city. Lila ran to a covered area and  Lilaned against the wall. She could see him now -- in front of her! He held her there while everyone kept dancing in the rain. One moment, her arms were like a necklace, clasped around his neck. The next moment, her hands glided over his cheeks and jawbone, pulling him closer. She didn’t want to let go of that moment, but she could hear the music fading…she was alone again.

         The shower had receded into a drizzle, and everything was quiet except for the cars zooming by on the freeway. Lila walked out from under the covered area, peering over the edge of the roof. She stood there, staring out at the city lights for some time. Everything was still the same, but her dress was drenched, and raindrops clung to the ends of her hair. Lila knew that it was no use; all of that was in the past, and nobody could live in the past forever. Still, every time the November rain fell, she could not help but relapse into this trance.

© Copyright 2010 michelle (h.michelley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1670678-November-Rain