*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671041-Bedelia-Chapter-6--Tier-Three
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1671041
Bedelia and Pluto complete Tier Three
Bedelia Chapter 6 (Friday)


The night before, Bedelia left a note on Martha’s door to meet her for breakfast. When she got downstairs, her friend was waiting. They looked at each other, smiled, went through the serving line, and sat down together.

“Well, what did you think of him, Martha?”

“I don’t know what to think. I can’t seem to get him off my mind. In one sense he’s arrogant and in another compelling.”

“I noticed yesterday, you two had a connection going. Held hands a long time… Looked like neither one of you wanted to let go.”

“That’s what I’m talking about… When he touched me, it was like…. Wow! What’s happening here? One voice inside me said, “Let Go! Another Hmmmm.”

“Sounds like you’re conflicted. “

“I’m very conflicted…right out of my frackin mind. What am I going to do?”

“I’m afraid that’s something you’ll have to work out on your own. The reason I left the note was to tell you that he wants to see the Spectacle today. I told him you might have tickets…”

“You didn’t!”

“Please bring him, Martha. I want him to be there. As a favor to me. Please!”

“Well I suppose I could. Where do I find him?

Bedelia pressed a note with the details into her hand. “Room 302 of the MOD. I know this is hard for you…but I think he really likes you.”

“You do?”

He kept bringing your name up after you left.”

“You’re kidding…”

“And if you could have seen the look he gave you, walking off.”

What?

Your every step, every move, had him mesmerized.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When Pluto came down for breakfast, his mother was pensive. This was unusual and enough to make her son inquire.

“Something on your mind? “

She smiled,”Oh, just something that’s on my mind.”

“Does it involve me?”

“Only indirectly.”

“Who does it involve directly?”

“Your Father.”

“Good luck.”

He served himself some gravy, toast and bacon. It was prepared just the way he liked. The bacon was cooked perfectly to where it had flex without being droopy or crisp. He drank a couple of glasses of juice, some tea and goat's milk.

“Such an thirst,” Climatus commented.

“Big Day” Pluto answered.

“There will be a large turnout, you can expect that.”

“Will Dad be there?”

“He didn’t say.”

“How about you?”

“I can’t. We have the bazaar and the ladies depend on me so. But I promise you this; it’ll be the last one I ever miss.”

“I’m relieved actually. There’s enough pressure already. I’ll fill you in on the details later.”

“I went to see Bedelia last night.”

“Awww Mom! Why’d you go and do that?”

“Because I wanted to meet her and I wasn’t going to wait around until you finally got around to introductions.”

“So, what did you think?”

“She’s a lovely girl. You’re lucky to have her for a friend. I invited her for dinner on Saturday. You‘re to pick her up at seven.”

“Does dad know?”

“I plan to tell him tonight.”

“This isn’t going to turn out well.”

“This is going to turn out just fine, leave that to me.”

“Whatever you say. Did you really like her?”

“I really did, I thought she was delightful.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------


When Pluto got to the gym, Bedelia was waiting at the entrance. She was holding Molly.

“Hi Pluto,” she said, smiling.

“Heard you had a visitor last night,“ he replied.

“Yes, your mother showed up. Was I ever surprised. You have a nice Mom. We talked and separated strands for over two hours; which reminds me. I have a surprise for you. “

“What is it?”

“I have a braided loop for you to wear. Now bend down so I can put it around your neck."

As he did, Bedelia noticed he was already wearing a tightly woven necklace consisting of thick silver threads.

"Wow!" she uttered, touching it. "What is this made of?"

"Mithril," he replied wincing.

"You have to be kidding," she gasped in utter astonishment. "What’s on the other end?"

"A family heirloom," he answered quietly, then changing the subject. "Show me your surprise."

"Well it isn't much," she replied but it took me a long time to unravel and braid it... incline your head."

Leaning over he saw it was a necklace with several fine strands of gold braided together.

"There," she said, "It’s only a start but I'll add to it as we go along."

"Thank you, Belinda," he replied, not knowing what else to say. "You did this for me?"

"Sure did,” she answered beaming, "Do you like it?"

“Wasn’t it expensive?” he asked.

“It’s a gift from Olivia.”

“What’s the occasion?”

“Today’s the occasion. Perhaps, It’ll bring us luck.”

“We’re going to need it. Are you ready for the big one?”

“Yes, I can’t wait to get started.”

“Then get dressed and meet me on the field. We can warm up together.”

In a few minutes, they met back on the field and began going through their warm-up exercises.

“I can’t help but notice,” Bedelia said, “that you spend a lot of time lifting the stones.”

“Meister Demetrio got me started two years ago,” he replied. “I failed so often he must have realized I was frustrated. He taught me how to lift and told me take out my hostility on “The Rocks,” as he calls them. It works.”

“Will you teach me how to lift?”

“Why?”

“Because I have to get stronger, if I want to use a heavier bow.”

“That’s a good idea. To stop an Orc, you'll need a bigger one.”

“I’m worried.”

“Just relax. All we can do is fail and I've no doubt we’ll eventually get through this; If not this time, then next.”

“Not about today, silly; About Saturday.”

“Mom told me you were invited for dinner. I’m looking forward to it.”

“Why are you lying to me?" she said, looking him in the eyes.

“Sorry, I forgot," he replied. “I‘m not looking forward to it. My Dad and I don’t get along very well and we try and give each other as much space as possible.”

“You don’t think he’ll like me. Do you?”

“He’s not a very likable person. You might as well prepare for the worst.”

“Is it because I’m a Simian?”

“If not one thing he’ll find another. He’s good at finding things wrong. He does with me and probobly will with you. After awhile you quit really giving a damn what he thinks. I really wish we didn’t have to have this conversation.”

"I’m glad we’re having it. I hate surprises. Better to have your eyes open than be taken unawares. That’s what Captain Standaloft always says. The worst your Dad can say is that he hates me because I’m half monkey. After being hunted by Republican Guardsmen, I’ve ceased being scared by what people think or say about me. Actually, I’m looking forward to the whole evening. I’ll be with you. Will you show me how to drive the livery?”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At noon, they walked out onto the field. The stands were packed and many stood around the fringes of the track. At the sight of Pluto and Bedelia, there was a ripple of applause.

“So my Lord,” said Ubocastor. “A big day for you and your son.“

“I never expected to see this happen,” Kulrick answered. “My son has never been the warrior type.”

“Well today you get to see him go for the “Hatter.” Did you ever manage one?

“No, I came close, but never three in a row.”

“His partner is the Simian Elf. They say she is skilled with the bow.”

“So I’ve heard.”

“We have a sizable wager riding on the outcome.”

“How much?”

“Ten thousand Kopecks.”

“You didn’t.”

“I did.”

--------------------------------------


Guiles had just completed his mission planning when he was handed a dispatch. Cory Maguasi, a Simian Elf, from Cisteria had been assassinated as he left his barracks. In the last month, the Cistercians had lost both their Simians. Petra, with Cracious, the king’s son, and now Cory. If anyone knew their value it was the Empire, however this was the first evidence that the Simians were being specifically targeted. Of the original six from Myrocenia, only two remained. Bedelia and Susan of the Naboians. He was glad the Council had approved Bedelia’s security detail even though it had more to do with her knowledge of Marigold than her amazing ability to communicate. Neither Cracious or Petra’s body had been recovered. If either had been taken alive, they would have named Cory… as well as Bedelia and Susan.

Martha found Guiles at his desk in the Ministry of Defense (MOD). He actually had an office. She had expected to find him at a small cubical but instead found him sitting in a spacious room, at a window overlooking the river. It made her wonder what he did as a Captain to merit such a perk. When she appeared at the door, he stood and walked over to greet her.

“What brings you to The MOD?” he asked.

She was wearing an attractive dress and held up two tickets.

“Thank-you! Thank-you!” He said, coming around his desk, rubbing his hands in anticipation. A most welcomed surprise! I despaired getting to see Bedelia today…. how much time do we have?”

“If you don’t tarry, we still have plenty.”

He rolled up the maps and papers on his conference table and walked into a room with bars like a jail cell. In the center was a large iron vault. He put everything inside and affixed a huge lock. Going to the door he yelled out, “I need security in here.” A soldier came down the hall and entered the room. Guiles held the cage door open and the guard went inside and took a seat in front of the safe. Closing the door the Captain locked it.

“Have a quite afternoon,” he told the man at arms.

“And a good day to you as well,” the soldier answered.

Guiles gestured, “ Are you ready? I can’t wait to see the spectacle. Won’t it be something if they do the Hat Trick?”

“You have time to get changed,” she told him.

“Yes, changed, of course,” he said slapping his head. “Meet me in the lobby in zero-five…”

When he met her, a few minutes later, it was evident he had dressed in haste and his civilian attire was not well coordinated. For that matter it was a hodge-podge of miss matched fabrics and colors.

“Who dresses you?” she inquired, taken back by his appearance.

“Why is something amiss?”

“Do you have a room here?”

“I have a closet in the common area, where I keep my things.”

“Show me,” she directed.

She followed him to his closet. It was little more than a locker with a wooden door. Inside was a nice assortment of civilian clothes. She began examining the hangers until she found a shirt and slacks that matched. On the floor were some shoes more appropriate than the athletic sneakers he was wearing. She handed them to him.

“Put these on and meet me in the lobby.”

When he reappeared a few minutes later, he looked much improved.

“I don’t get to wear my civvies very often,” he said, “Thanks for the advice.“ They left the MOD and stepped onto the Avenue. It was a nice day and they enjoyed the walk down the boulevard towards HDU.

“I’ve been thinking,” he said at length, "that you should come up to Finsterwald and give us a demonstration of the Elfin Blade. Our beginning and intermediate students would really benefit. I think we wait too long to expose them to the importance of knife fighting…after all, it’s a handy skill.”

What about your advanced students… Martha replied with an edge of annoyance, “Don’t you think I have anything to offer them?”

Her tone was lost on him. “I personally instruct our advanced students in the short blade and while I don’t want to brag… by the time I finish, there is little left for them to learn.”

His comment was irritating and she was about to express her feelings, when he took her hand. The same reaction she had experienced at breakfast, the day before, raced up her fingertips and sent a tingle through her body.

“You know Guiles,” she said, her angst softening, “We really do have to spar. If you’re as good as you say, I’m sure you could give me some pointers. Liar, she thought to herself.

“You know Martha,” he answered in kind, “I would never say so myself, but I’ve yet to be bested with a knife and when it comes to daggers and stilettos, I believe myself without peer.”

What a piece of work… she thought.

He gave her hand a squeeze, and the pleasure of it went to her very core and a warm glow began spreading over her…“You don’t mind if I hold your hand do you? Its not something I‘ve ever done, but I see many young couples going about it and they appear to find it enjoyable. I always wondered what the attraction was and hoped to try it some day. Am I being presumptuous?”

“A bit,” she answered. “It has to do with timing and while the current state of our relationship makes it premature, we can overlook that if you wish. How does it feel?”

“Very relaxing. Not that I’m the nervous type. Warm and delightful is perhaps a better description, with a twist of shiver on top. A nice sensation if I do say so, unlike anything I can remember. Mind if I continue?”

You know what people will say?”

“No, what?”

“That we’re lovers, that’s what.”

“Oh my,” said Guiles turning loose, “I’ve no wish to embarrass you.”

“I don’t embarrass easily. How about you?”

“Who me? No, of course not. Actually it does my reputation a world of good. I’ve never had a girl friend.” He reached down and took her hand once more.

If I could just get him to shut his mouth, she thought, Guiles, would be perfect for me.

At length they arrived at the bleachers and presented their tickets. The stubs were numbered and they climbed up and found their seats.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


As the applause came upon them ,Pluto looked about. Miester Demetrio placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Your father is in the stands and seems to have brought the Council and half the city. Pay it no heed; just go out and do your best; that’s all a man can do.”

Bedelia was holding Molly and spoke comforting. “Your Grandfather is here today. He’s the First Chair and a very important person. Nobody’s going to hurt you, not with him around.“ With that she tucked the doll into her service pack and cinched it down securely. Pluto took her hand and they walked together into the Battle Alley.

The first iteration began. Down the street came a Troll, a Goblin and Gnome. The Gnome was wearing a full Helmet.

As soon as Pluto noticed he chuckled. “Fancy that.”

They began dancing to the right and as they did their three adversaries aligned one before the other with the Gnome in front. They swept past the line and Pluto flat sworded, collapsing the guard of the Gnome and knocking off his helmet. Then he spun and Bedelia, coming around, fired an arrow. It zipped through the Gnome's forehead and he collapsed forward onto his face. They circled back until they had the Goblin standing in front of the troll. Pluto feinted down and swung sideways. The Goblin moved his shield a fraction too late and the blade lodged in his head. Pluto pulled the edge free and rushed forward, throwing the Troll backward and drove his blade home. The crowd applauded.

The second Iteration followed. Once more the Troll and Goblin appeared but this time the Bat Wraith speeded zigzagging, looking for an opening. Seeing an opportunity he darted for the throat. It was an instant too late. Before he arrived, Pluto pirouetted and Bedelia loosed a second arrow. Point blank, the bat tried to evade but the arrow clipped through his breast and the Wraith fluttered to the ground. Again they maneuvered the Goblin and Troll into alignment and again Pluto dispatched each in turn with ruthless efficiency. The crowd applauded louder.

The last iteration unfolded. This time there was a Troll, two Goblins and two Bat Wraiths. As they rounded the corner, Pluto began giving ground, retreating back down the street. As they did their adversaries spread out. The Bat Wraiths were the first to close and Pluto and Bedelia began twirling as they moved this time to the left. Each time Bedelia came around, she fired and each time a Wraith fell. Behind them came the Goblins and again they aligned themselves. Pluto killed one and then moved on to the other. Finally, almost as an anti-climax, the Troll showed up. He killed it with his signature move.

The crowd exploded onto the field, and their fellow students raced towards them, shouting and waiving two bowler hats. They placed them upon the victor's heads and carried them off the field.

“They made it look so easy,” said Ubocastor and left the stands to collect their winnings.

Lord Kulrick remained seated as his fellow Councilors congratulated him. In his mind he replayed the sequences over and over, reliving the contest in utter disbelief.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martha and Guiles became increasingly excited as the contest progressed. He was holding her hand beneath a shawl spread between them. His eyes followed every move and she could feel every nerve and muscle respond as if he himself were on the field. It was infectious and she felt herself responding as if they were on the field instead. Then she began to feel the rapport between Bedelia and Pluto. It was similar to what she experienced in the training sessions with Bedelia as they moved, counter moved, acted and reacted. There was a synergism between the two that subtly reached out like dancers in the Royal Ballet. Martha had never considered herself telepathic but as she watched she felt connected both through Guiles and through the contestants on the field. She felt the Captain feinting and lunging inwardly and his enthusiasm ignited her own, and the warrior spirit more and more took hold of them. When the end came they both leapt to their feet cheering wildly for the victors. They jumped up and down in excitement much to the bewilderment of everyone seated around them. He threw his arms around her, lifting her off her feet as he squeezed and hopped in place.

They were in a section filled with female cadets from Bellmont. Everyone looked in dismay. Seated on the other side was Naomi, Martha’s friend. She had never seen the “Ice Woman,” so animated and emotionally hyped-up. Neither had the students.

“PDOF,” Naomi teased, pointing at them, “PDOF.”

Guiles turned loose of Martha, coming to his senses. The acronym stood for Public Display of Affection, and physical contact between the sexes was discouraged in public places.

"Sorry," said Guiles, very upset with himself and blushing profusely.

Martha too was flushed and took a deep breath. Their embrace had her head spinning and took hand holding to a whole new level. She was as much to blame as he was and glad he was the one to blame for the hugging. The alternative would have been too embarrassing to contemplate.

The young cadets saw the whole incident as uproariously funny and began laughing and clapping in delight. "Who is he Ms. Tropolov?" one called out. "Is he ever hot!" added another. The two stood uncomfortably, not wanting to look at each other, trying to salvage some dignity and composure in the tightly packed bleachers. "PDOF," said Naomi, shaking her head, refusing to let it die, "and between two senior faculty, and right out in front of everyone. What' is this world coming to?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


After the contest, Pluto walked Bedelia home and stopped to get some dinner. They spent a happy time together enjoying their triumph and the pleasure of each other’s company. The mood began to grow more sober as Bedelia told him about the upcoming mission.

“We’ll be leaving early next week, but I don‘t expect to be gone long, a week, maybe ten days.”

He took her hand and squeezed. “I’ll miss you,” he said. They stood paid the bill and walked outside into the cool evening air.

The security detail arose from the corner and followed them. Pluto reached self-consciously for Bedelia’s hand.

“Pretend they‘re not even there,” she whispered, leaning her cheek on his arm.

“I wish I were going with you,” he said, “No! what I really wish is that I were going instead.”

“I’ll be back before you know it, and then we can celebrate. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

Suddenly Pluto was caught up in emotion. Maybe it was the delayed reaction of the day’s triumph, or maybe it was something that had been coming for a long time. He stopped on the avenue and took her in his arms, lifting her off her feet. He held her thus suspended, rocking back and forth, then slowly began spinning around and around. Her long golden hair flowed out from behind her shoulders and her feet flew out like a carnival ride.

She felt the crush of his chest against hers and from deep inside came a deep sob of despair. “Calm down Big Guy,” she said soothing… “everything will be just fine. I’ll be back before you know it.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


At home, Lord Kulrick and his wife sat down together for dinner.

“Tell me about the competition,” Clematis asked her husband.

“You should have seen our son. You would have been very proud.”

“And his battle partner?”

“The Ape Girl is quite good with the bow.”

Clematis stood up trembling. “What did you call her?" she replied, full of hostility.”

“The Simian Girl." he said realizing his tacky comment. "The one with the extraordinary gift for telepathy. Who did you think I was referring to?”

Clematis threw down her napkin and started for the door.

“What did I say this time?” inquired her husband, catching her by the arm.

She pushed him back, violently.

“You ever call her that again,” she spat; " I swear to the gods, I’ll leave this house and never set foot inside again."

“I’m sorry, I meant no offense…I agree the comment was tactless but there was no one present to hear it, but the two of us.”

“It was a disgusting and vile thing to say.”

“I apologize. I won’t say it again. Now what brought all this on?”

Clematis recovered her composer, returned to her place, and sat down.

“I’ve invited Bedelia to dine with us on Friday night. Your son is delighted. It’ll be an opportunity for you to meet her.”

“Are you sure we want to do that?”

"And why not?"

"She's very attractive and our son is at a vulnerable age. What if they become enamored?"

"I think you’re a little late to be considering that…"

"What? Pluto and that….. Simian girl?"

"Yes my dear, Pluto and that Simian girl."

"Dear me, I didn’t realize the extent of it… not that I’m all that against it. She’s a very brave young lady and has certainly gotten that son of mine off his duff and acting like a man. Indeed, she has. I’ll be on my best behavior.”

“Do you really think it matters what your behavior will be? The young woman is telepathic….telepathic with a sensitivity and range that is most extraordinary. Do you think you can deceive her with false talk? Do you think it’s as easy as saying, “Oh, Bedelia, how nice to meet you when your mind is thinking…Ape Girl?”

“Calm down, that won’t be an issue. She will never know the extent of my prejudice, if indeed I even have one where she’s concerned.”

"You have an opinion on everything. Your mind is a toilet and it’s going to ruin everything. Your son and I will be embarrassed in front of one of the loveliest young women I’ve ever met.”

“I already told you not to worry about that. I’ll have Ubocastor put a cloaking spell over any unconscious prejudice I might have buried somewhere…. so deep, I don’t even know about it. We do it all the time when diplomats and ambassadors come to visit.”

“Now pay attention, Kulrick. This is an opportunity for you to do some fence mending with your son. Don’t let the opportunity pass you by.”

“You remind me of my earlier resolve," he said thoughtfully. "That’s something I already decided this afternoon.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671041-Bedelia-Chapter-6--Tier-Three