*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671176-BEAUTIFUL-THINGS
by cheche
Rated: E · Short Story · Biographical · #1671176
The good things in life
My name is pema dolma and I am a mother of two children currently working as a registered nurse here in one of the biggest hospital in Bhutan. I have a passion for reading books but haven’t done any writing until now. During my school days I used to write for the school and wall magazines but competing online was way beyond my idea till yesterday when the writing bug crept inside me. I sat in front of my desktop surfing websites and not knowing how to start and from where. Everything started probably because I was bored at home waiting for my 10 year old son who hasn’t come back from school yet and he comes late these days because he has a football competition going on. Yesterday he came home tired from school and on top of that carrying a very bad cough, he didn’t eat his dinner, and when I was nearly retiring for bed, he innocently tells me to make him a hot beef bones soup. I thought “how the hell does he know about the health teachings that I give to all those mothers who complain that their children do not eat when they are sick”? I thought he wouldn’t be able to make it to school the next day but he insisted because he wanted to wear the new Chelsea dress that his dad bought for him.. I must say even if David Beckham and Ronaldo are seven seas far from us these guys’ magic does work here like, for instance my son finishing his lunch because he is tired and hungry after football and he is now asking me to pack him some extra also. He does not care about his cough or fever and I am beginning to love Beckham and Ronaldo because they do what doctors and magicians can’t do. This is why I love kids, when it comes to playing they don’t care whether an earthquake shook them or there is a tsunami or a fire going on, they just play and that’s it. Had it been we adults, just because of a simple headache, we land up getting hypertension because of too much of thinking and worrying if? Why can’t we just let it go like children?
I don’t know much about football and my son said he was playing a midfielder which was a very important post. He said he had to make the ball ready in position so that the striker can hit it. It’s a very important job and I believed him. At least I know those two words in football now; I remembered a joke that my chemistry teacher used to tell us. A father wrote a letter to his son asking him about his studies and sports and the son replied him saying that he was central forward in football and back in studies. I am really wondering if the son said was true, same thing was happening with my son but I am not stopping him from doing what he loves doing because I believe we should go ahead and do things which make us happy.
When things don’t work out in an adult’s perspective we have to try doing from the children’s point of view. Like the one incident where my son insisted on eating radish for dinner and he wanted fresh ones. Now how was I supposed to get fresh radish at night when the town was kilometer away? I looked at my greedy neighbor’s garden and there were fresh radishes of all shapes and sizes. I didn’t have any time to think that time because I was trying to be a kid and kids don’t think twice, so without any hesitation I went into their garden, plucked few radishes or should I say I stole it? I didn’t feel guilty or scared by doing it but my adult conscience justified it by saying that if they don’t share it, why let it rot when someone can eat it? Both of us were happy and satisfied that night. Every time my life sucks; I remember it and I feel happy that I did it
My son is home and the moment I open the door he tells me that he has been chosen to play U12 and both of us hold hands, jump and make a loud noise and had someone saw me that day, probably they would recommend me a psychiatrist right away. I immediately became conscious of what I was doing and acted like an adult again. That few seconds of jumping was really a heavenly bliss. It’s a wonderful feeling to jump be a kid once again. My son told me that he was very happy and I told him that I am was also very happy because he was happy and that is what mattered to me the most. While having dinner that night, we watched the planets in history channel and he told me that he wanted to be a scientist and go to NASA and I told him that nothing was impossible in life and even if it was not possible, there is no harm in having beautiful dreams which gives us the hope to go forward in life and beautiful dreams make beautiful life. Like my life which I got back after fighting with an auto immune condition, having went through chemotherapy, losing all my hair and looked like a WWF wrestler and still hanging on to medications for life time, never knowing when my clock would stop ticking, these are the little things in life which makes my life worth living and yes I too dream that I wear the miss beautiful crown one day.



© Copyright 2010 cheche (pema76 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671176-BEAUTIFUL-THINGS