*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671600-Stuck
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1671600
Suddenly it hits you: you're stuck and there's no way out.
The pressure mounts and you’re left alone once again. The sound of blood travelling to your head pulsates, arousing fear from deep inside. Fear, which not even you, knew was there. Time is of the essence and you knew that getting out alive is your only priority.

Scrambling up off the floor you look around, searching for an escape route. You find one, but it’s overhead. You can’t reach up high. You’re much too short. Your breathing hitches and you look towards the communication panel. It’s dead. No flashing lights or beeping sounds greet you with the familiarity that you welcome. It’s just silently staring back at you, almost menacingly.

Pacing; it’s the only thing you can manage to do. The cramped quarters of what you would describe as a cell, do not allow for much room, but it’s enough. Your sleeves are crinkled and rolled up to your elbows, your jacket lazily thrown to the side. You’re thinking.

Incessant tapping coming from the heels of your shoes is frustrating you so you slip them off and fling them to the side to join your jacket and they land with a quiet thud haphazardly on top of the soft silky lining. Sighing, you tuck and untuck your hair repeatedly from behind your ear in sheer hopelessness because you know that nothing is going to work.

Climbing out of the door above your head is the only possibility and even that will get you nowhere. You can’t possibly scale the walls of the long narrow shaft that holds you captive. It’s impossible.

Sweat drips from your forehead and the temperature inside the cave is soaring. The bangs cut in your hair stick in clumps, plastered to your forehead and you begin to frantically bite your nails. A multitude of endings to this unfortunate story consume your thoughts, not one of them ending happily.

The walls begin to close in and your heart rate picks up, your pacing gets faster and you suddenly feel sick to your very core.

It hits you all of a sudden: you’re stuck and there’s no way out.

© Copyright 2010 mishelly (mishelle12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1671600-Stuck