*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672094-PARADOX----Chapter-56
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1672094
Action/Adventure along the lines of National Treasure, Indiana Jones & The DaVinci Code.
Chapter 56

May 15, 2012 – New Berlin Base – Antarctica




Monday and his team were taken under guard to their quarters. They were not imprisoned, per se, nor were they allowed free access to other areas of the base. A four man guard watched over their every move.

Several Nazi scientists visited them on separate occasions. During one such visit the power of the Bell was explained. The Bell, which was a chamber that merely resembled a bell, was a device that could shift electromagnetism and it was also the main source of the propulsion of their air ships.

It is well known that electromagnetic fields can change polarity. Electromagnetic forces determine the location of a planet’s poles and the configurations of planetary systems. The planets, the moons, the rings of matter, the asteroid belt as well as comets and meteors; everything within the solar family owes its respective cosmic location to the force of electromagnetism.

An electromagnetic field forms according to the factors, which contribute to it, and if these factors change the electromagnetic field changes accordingly. This means that adding or discharging energy changes a planet's energy potential resulting in a different electromagnetic field. Such changes in energy can diminish or strengthen the electromagnetic field locally and, thus, produce a different configuration. This field determines the location of the poles.

So, when the electromagnetic field changes enough, the locations of the poles change, as well. The energy provided by the jewels was so powerful it had the ability to effect the electromagnetic field of the earth. By manipulating this power, Nazi scientists were given the capability to shift the Earth’s crust. By doing so slowly, over a period of six months, they would limit the amount of tectonic disruption preventing devastating volcanoes.

Antarctica would, after six months of electromagnetic manipulation, be located at the present day longitude and latitude of Europe.

Dom stated, “Einstein himself wrote: "In a polar region there is a continual deposition of ice, which is not symmetrically distributed about the pole. The earth's rotation acts on these asymmetrically deposited masses of ice, and produces centrifugal momentum that is transmitted to the rigid crust of the earth. The constantly increasing centrifugal momentum produced in this way will, when it has reached a certain point, produce a movement of the earth's crust over the rest of the earth's body, and this will displace the polar regions toward the equator."

“It’s hard to decide which threat is the greatest,” Monday stated. They were into their fifth day of captivity and the waiting was getting on their nerves. Monday had seen Daria only one brief time since the day of their capture and then it was while they were being escorted to a learning center. He had had no chance to talk with her.

“This time travel stuff sounds absurd.” Henri was devouring a brochen with a thick bratwurst, the juices creeping down his chin to drip onto a soiled napkin. “The past is past. How can we go back to something that no longer exists? For that matter, how can we go forward in time to something that has not even happened yet?”

“I don’t think it’s time travel at all,” Dom replied, reaching for a bratwurst. “I’m a firm believer in Occam's razor.”

Lofton looked at him with a puzzled expression. “Who’s this Occam guy and what’s so important about his razor?”

“Occam's razor is a meta-theoretical principle that "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" that the simplest solution is usually the correct one. Therefore, the simplest solution to time travel is parallel universes. This would also eliminate the Paradox theory.”

“Yeah, killing your grandpa. I’ve heard that one,” Scout added. “I don’t agree with time travel though. I’ve never read anything about it in the Bible and the good book is never wrong.”

Dom smiled at him and nodded his approval. “You must have missed that page. In Christian theology, God is assumed to exist unbound by space or time. Doctrinally, God is held to be omniscient and omnipresent. Statements in the Bible such as Jesus's claim “before Abraham was born, I am” (John 8:58) and Peter's claim "[Jesus] was chosen before the creation of the world" (1 Peter 1:20) indicate that Christians believe time travel is possible. If Jesus was around before creation, and around before Abraham, he would have to travel through time to be in place fifteen hundred years or so after Abraham.”

Scout looked at Dom as if he had grown a set of horns.

“It’s in the good book,” Dom replied with a smile. I swear, I’m not making it up.”

“So, what’s with this parallel world thing?” Bones asked. “Is it like moving from one dimension to another?”

“Parallel universes might provide a way out of paradoxes. One interpretation of quantum mechanics suggests that all possible quantum events can occur in mutually exclusive histories. These alternate, or parallel histories would form a branching tree symbolizing all possible outcomes of any interaction.”

“Albert Einstein and his collaborator, Nathan Rosen, submitted a paper to the Physical Review with the goal of unifying gravity and electromagnetism. By creating the first theoretical model of a wormhole, Einstein and Rosen made a very bold supposition: What if a traveler fell into the mouth of something that looked like a black hole, but rather than being crushed by a singularity at the center of a black hole, they instead emerged from another mouth, potentially many light years from where he or she started? This isn't as crazy as it sounds. Einstein's theory of general relativity — our current working model for how gravity and space work — has been confirmed with countless experiments. And, as ad hoc as it sounds, an Einstein-Rosen bridge is a perfectly valid solution to the equations of general relativity. Einstein said that wormholes may be a gateway to alternate universes the math is quite complicated but on paper it is quite possible”

“That would mean that should we go back in time, assassinate a famous person before they became famous, and return to out time, history may have multiple endings,” Monday stated.

“But to which future have you returned?” Dom smiled. “The parallel dimensions theory proposes that there are now two futures - the one you know, and the one you have created. What is the history of the world when you return to your own time? As mentioned, the majority of those who support the Parallel Dimensions theory believe that if you return to the future after traveling to the past, you will always arrive in the universe you created.”

“What is a parallel universe?” Scout asked. “Is it one running along side ours?”

Dom took a sip of wine before answering. “What is a parallel universe? Like an everyday universe it is a region of space and time containing matter, galaxies, stars, planets and living beings. In other words, it is similar and possibly even a duplicate of our own universe. Not only in a parallel universe must there be other human beings, but these may be human beings who are exact duplicates of ourselves and who are connected to ourselves through mechanisms only explainable using quantum physics concepts.”

“When scientist tried to pinpoint the exact location of atomic particles like electrons they found it was utterly impossible. The only explanation which anyone could come up with is that the particles don't just exist in our Universe. They flit into existence in other universes, too and there are an infinite number of these parallel universes, all of them slightly different. The other universes are parallel to ours and may be quite close to ours, but of which we'd never be aware. They may be completely different with completely different laws of nature operating. It may not all have life, but some fraction of them will have life and whatever that fraction is if there's an infinite number of these universes there'll be an infinite number of universes that have living civilizations. Some of these universes may look just like ours, except perhaps you're not there. The latest understanding of the multiverse is that there could be an infinite number of universes each with a different law of physics.”

Henri looked skeptically at Dom. “If I get this correctly, there’s a future where the person we killed never existed and another future where he did?”

“Or, an infinite number of choices,” Dom replied. “But the only one that would matter will be the one that applies to us since we are the ones instigating the action. If you went back and killed your grandpa, you and he would cease to exist in that universe, but, you and he still exist in your present universe.”

“Enough!” Weps finally spoke. “My head is still spinning from the BS about shifting the Earth’s crust and all that electro crap. I don’t understand half of this time travel stuff. Question is, are we gonna go back and stop or help Chester’s Team or what?”

Monday stood and walked over to a small bar and poured himself a beer. The Nazis provided them with everything they needed, except freedom. “One point is certain, we cannot trust the Nazi’s. Second point, we must somehow prevent their scientists from rotating the Earth’s crust. What choices do we have? Under constant guard in this secret location we have little opportunity to do anything. Unless we can get outside help, or inside help, which is even more unlikely, we can do nothing. If we agree to run interference against The Brotherhood’s assassination teams, an opportunity may arise where we can at least get a warning out.”

“I agree with Monday.” Henry raised his glass of beer. “The Nazis say they will help free the families of Chester’s Team, but I don’t trust them.”

“What other collateral will they want from us to ensure our cooperation?” Lofton inquired. “We have nothing else of value, except our lives.”

“Maybe that’s all it will take.” Monday shrugged.

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1672094-PARADOX----Chapter-56