*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675952-choices
Rated: ASR · Essay · Opinion · #1675952
simple, it's all about deciding on a choice
living today’s world could be a trying ordeal. it is never too easy to remain optimistic when everything in this damn society seems so bleak and dreary. the economic slump, chaos, and political disparity among many other things, are just too much for any one person to handle; let alone handling things that a "teenager," or rather an adolescent goes through altogether. that’s why it is not surprising to find so many people, including teens, going wayward and ending up lost in desperation - some even taking extreme measures of cutting their lives short.

everyone is faced with different sets of challenges. yes, everyone feels pain and hardship. we only experience them at varying degrees and different severity. true to fact, they are all valid; but they are never reasons enough for us to fall, or to look for those silver threads that line our dark and heavy clouds. they are never reasons for us to give up the fight; to stop living.

easy for me to say, huh?? if you think that i have lived my 24 years in a bed of roses, then you thought wrong. i have had more than my fare share of midnights, sleepless as they may present themselves. and i, too, attempted to take that “desperate measure.” but, HEY, i still am living to write on topics that i want to write about. and for that alone, i am thankful.

apparently, not everyone gets to snap out of it. the feeling of helplessness could be as addicting as morphine, alcohol, or even nicotine - however else you want to compare it with. it creeps in and eats you up unknowingly, ever so slowly like a cancer virus. that is if you let it!

there is one strong thought that i just read this morning, which apparently keeps ringing in my head.. that thought is that “I HAVE A CHOICE.” haha!! and so do you!! you could choose to be helpless or you could choose to help yourself and eventually help others - oh and maybe let them help you too. you could choose to either be a victim or a survivor.

you could choose to live life and see its beauty despite the many events that obscures the scenic view. you could choose to respect pain and knowledge and then choose again to move on. or you could choose to let in depression - eat you up alive, rot, and be consumed by emotional and spiritual maggots.

you could choose to accept the things that happen; choose to let go and look ahead to a brighter tomorrow. or you could choose to droop your head and let your spirit plummet onto doom.

and if you are in despair, you could choose to snap out of it. you could make that choice right this very moment. if you think you are too weak to make that choice, then that is your choice; irregardless of your state of, what, sanity?? but you also have a choice to change your mind. it all begins with one thought. a single thought, a single ring in your head that might probably sound like "ting," a single choice, then a single move that could create a myriad of difference..

more often than not, the negativity that surrounds us, influences us to shun the amazing occurrences in our lives. there is no small or big part in the great big drama called “life.” we are all students in this big school we call universe; we are all learning, and should difficulty arise, dropping out is never the solution.

all that we need is all that we are. everything that we longed and searched for have always been a part of us, our truest selves.

perhaps, you’d say that this is rubbish and that you are too young, never too old - but too busy to understand - hell, to even hear. then at least, know that you are never too young, too old, too succumbed to your "happy place" to even appreciate this thought. rekindle the emotions of marvel and awe you had when you were a child, so innocent. the joy that you felt when you first experienced the beach’s sands beneath your feet; the sensation of your first scoop of ice cream, your spine tingling first kiss perhaps..?

hold these thoughts for a few moments more. then let me leave you these questions for you to ponder upon: aren’t they the best that life offers for free; if not, for a minimal fee? aren’t they enough reasons for you to keep your head up and face each challenge with the knowledge that you’d survive? are you not the fastest and ablest among these millions of other sperms which vied to fertilize the ovum? does taking your life really make you a winner? or the loser?

again, your answers are coupled with choices. and your life is too precious to waste. so choose wisely. i made my choice - to live.

so what’s yours???
© Copyright 2010 auburn oxymoron (auburnoxymoron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1675952-choices