*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682351-Sinking-Thought
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #1682351
What makes you happy?
I can't seem to get the fact that HAPPINESS can actually be defined. See, i'm your total pessimistic; a typical end-of-the-world negative thinker.



remember the phrase often told by elders; that TRUE HAPPINESS can be found in the SIMPLEST OF THINGS? Well I’ve met people that, despite all the negativity being thrown at them by this cruel world, in probably their entire lifetime; they still give an effort to try finding their own sense of happiness.



of course, much like love, beauty, and all other words; HAPPINESS IS RELATIVE. Relative to either experience or to the standards of the person. Don’t get me wrong for this next statement; but I used to believe that material things may actually serve as one of the standards of happiness. But at least I know for sure that some kids still find this statement true and applicable, by their standards.



But I asked my mom before the intolerable and seemingly unanswerable question you can hear from a kid: WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?? She could have pulled my leg and easily fool a child by answering a specific material thing she wanted that time. But instead she chose to answer me HONESTLY; that our family eating dinner together, having small conversations (and I’m almost certain that she meant political talks), and share a few laughs would make her HAPPY. And looking back, her answer may have left me with more than a million question marks imprinted on my face. For a kid, it probably would; but right now her answer may be described as REAL, SIMPLE and ATTAINABLE. Attainable, that is, if you can get me and my siblings to stay at home by dinner time and give her the actuality of this description of happiness.



Now, only because I started writing about it, I ask myself the same intolerable and seemingly unanswerable question; WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY?? And I now realize that those two describing words fit this question perfectly.



Now I know I can easily answer a material thing; like a DSLR for my birthday or the cranium board game for Christmas. Another option might be that I get to watch the FIFA games with my brother in 2010 or a simple hang-out session with my sister. Or simply, that I get the scholarship I’ve been eying on for the longest time, or a night out with my closest friends without the high of alcohol and nicotine intake. And a lot more other things swirling through my ever-wanting mind. But in all these, one thing stands out; if I answer these things, I’d simply be fooling myself.



Hah! I can honestly hear you asking WHY? Why would you be fooling yourself?? Simple. Because though these things may be wanted by me, I can seriously count in a few more things on my list and I still wouldn't end up being HAPPY. But these things may suffice my oddly curious mind for now, that I can assure you.



Now; until that day comes when I can answer that question, I can keep on dosing myself off thinking on WHAT MAKES ME HAPPY.

© Copyright 2010 auburn oxymoron (auburnoxymoron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1682351-Sinking-Thought