*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676270-Dimensional-Embrace-part-3
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Other · #1676270
Dimensional Embrace part 3
She gestures to the couch, “have a seat, I’ll go start some coffee.”  On her way to the kitchen, she stopped to turn on a small television that sat on a flat wooden chest.

         Slowly the dark screen changed to that of Pat

Sajak as the “Wheel of Fortune” was ending.  The girl standing next to him grinned as all of her winnings crossed her mind.  Her family surrounded her, praising her about how great she was.  I often laughed to the fakeness of the whole show.  The family cheered, expecting the winnings to be shared with them.  I always wondered if the winners were given the answers ahead of time.  It was always the good-looking girl who won.

         But, I guess it is entertainment.  This is what millions of people did every night.  They would sit and watch television, wasting their lives away.  It’s funny I thought of that.  Was I helping people from wasting their lives away by ending it sooner than they expected?

         A day isn’t even held sacred.  Should we accomplish something by a day’s end?  What is our purpose in life?  Why waste what little time we have here?  I think those people just get in the way of others.  They should get out, so we have room to make something of ourselves.

         But do I have the authority of judge others?  I think Steel and others like him pass that kind of judgement.

         They choose whether someone should live or die, for whatever reason; they have that power.  I’m just an unfeeling tool they have to carry out the sentence.  Does someone give us these powers, or do we give it to ourselves?

         A person would have to be unfeeling to so what I so for a living.  I don’t think I have emotions anymore.  I believe I turned them all into anger, hate, and death.  I see the news, and it doesn’t stir me at all.  I don’t think losing emotion was from killing.

         No, it happened way before I ever held a gun.  Being let down by others and trusting in loved ones was my mistake.  I tried so hard to associate with others, but for one reason or another, nothing worked out.  I was even in love with a woman once.  We had plans to get married and everything.  When we broke up, it hurt real bad.  So much that I haven’t even dated since then.

         It’s been strange being with Louise these past hours.  I hardly know her, but I feel like we’ve known each other forever.  I’ve been a person I haven’t been for a long time.  I’m just afraid to let this new relationship go on any further.  I’ve been hurt by friends for so long.  Something inside tells me that she won’t hurt me.  A gut feeling inside soothes my worries.  Somehow, she is the key to figuring all of this out.

         A sheepish grin crosses my face as she enters the living room.  “Milk or sugar?”

         “Plenty of each.” I respond wondering if she can read my thoughts.  Yea, you’re an O.K. person, Louise.  I hope you get what you deserve from life.



         The table set before us is beautiful, the candles glow brilliantly, causing a sparkle to reflect off her soft blue eyes.  Her long flowing hair is set in its blonde waves, accenting her cheekbones.  Her pink lips form a smile, beckoning me closer.  I slowly start to lean forward, longing to embrace her passionately.

         Suddenly, her face changes.  It doesn’t change expression, but the person before me actually changes to the girl I once knew and gave my whole heart to.

         His voice returns to my dreams.  “You don’t really think Louise will be any different, do you?  She’s evil; stay away from her.  I’m the only one who’s looking out for you, I’ll get you through this ordeal.”

         I struggle to speak.  In this dream I have a body; this time I might be able to be in control.  Laughter fills the air, then total silence.  Across the table, Kristin stares at me with eyes of hate.

         The voice returns, “Why fight me Rick?  I’m on your side.  It’s people like her and Steel that are your enemies.  They only come around when they need something.  Destroy them Rick, before they destroy you.”

         Like a puppet I stand and reach for her.  This time not in a loving embrace, but out of anger.  With both hands around her neck I squeeze, watching as her life slowly dissipates before me.  No one will ever hurt me again.  I feel a release as tears stream down my face.  No one will ever hurt me again.  The phrase repeats itself over and over in my mind as the dream fazed away.



         Waking, I notice how my pillow is moist; the tears I know were real.  The cushions of the couch are all out of place showing that again I tossed and turned in my sleep.

         “I was just about to wake you, but I see you’ve already gotten up.  Hurry up and get cleaned up, breakfast is almost ready.  I hope you like eggs and toast.”  Hurry back to the kitchen, she seems content on her work.

         I lazily get up feeling like I didn’t even sleep at all.  My muscles ached from sleeping on a couch and my hands hurt for some reason also.  Glancing at them small marks could be seen in my palms.  They were four small lines making a line across each hand.  I must have made fists and squeezed so hard that my nails dug into my skin.

         These dreams I’ve been having are a bit too much.  A thought crossed my mind as I try to remember the details from last night’s nightmare adventure.  “No one will ever hurt me again.”

         Upon reaching the bathroom, I splash cool water on my face trying to wake myself.  Bringing my head up to the mirror in front of me, a different picture is seen than the one only a day before.  Droplets of water can be seen catching on the stubble that has grown on my face.  Bags now weigh heavily under my eyes, making them look more sunken than I hope they actually are.  My skin pulls tight making the bones in my face more pronounced.  I appear to be a skull with matted hair.  I take a mental picture remembering what I looked like.  I hope today’s endeavors at the mall will change the man before me.

         No one from this point on is to know who I am.  I gave to become a new person so Steel can’t find me.  Then I have to figure out what happened that night.  If he set me up, he’ll pay.  I’ll make sure he can’t hurt me ever again.

         Trying to give my mind a rest, I start looking for a razor to shave with.  The small room doesn’t leave many places to store one’s personal bathroom belongings.  Curling irons, hair dryers, and other such female tools lay about on every available space.  A door under the sink brings me to my destination.  I don’t know if women use shaving crème, so I lather with a bar of soap.

         The soft skin I remembered women to have on their legs seems to be an illusion now as my face takes the worst beating it has ever had.  In many spots blood start to appear.  It seems I’m taking off more skin than hair.  I wonder if I should have left it the way it was.

         As I clean up my mess, a knock comes to the door.  I grab a long strand of toilet paper, then reach for the door.

         “Well, we know one of the first things we need to buy today.”  She laughs.  “Come on, your food’s getting cold.”

         Trying to stop the bleeding, I follow her to the kitchen.



         “Calleri Mall” isn’t much different than any other city mall, except for maybe the unusual name given to it.  It has its two floors full of stores; a dining area for competitive restaurants to lure hungry, tired shoppers to spend a little more money than they expected.

         The girl at the desk looks at me with concern as I tell her I want my hair cut very short.  She understands how a person can get attached to their hair, and knows the sacrifice I’m making.  I force a smile as I reassure her I’m in the mood for a change.  We decided the hair should be frosted, so the rest of my change could be made to go with it.  A little bleach and a lot of cutting, and I’d be ready to catch the waves in California.

         An hour later, we head for the eye specialist.  I went through the process of ordering blue contact lenses and non-prescription glasses to change my facial features.  By flashing a little extra cash, they were easily influenced to rush my order.  While waiting for them to work out whatever they actually do during the waiting process; we moved on.

         Walking past the men’s formal store, we entered a different clothing store.  Upon walking through the entranceway, I knew I was in trouble.  Rock music played, while a kid with his head shaved on one side, bobbed his head to the beat.

         He made his way between all the racks, until he came face to face with me.  “Can I help you with something, Dude?”

         I started to turn to leave when Louise stopped me.  “He wants a bunch of new outfits.”  I was never one to dress crazy, but the next few hours I proved myself wrong.  I never knew that there was so many different kinds of jeans before.  I chose a few along with other casual pants for a change of scenery.  The shirts were easier, there was an odd assortment of button up shirts, sweaters, and T-shirts.  I even bought a “khaki” colored shirt; which to me looked like the weird colored stuff babies left in their diapers.

         Keeping on a baggy, navy blue, silk shirt and a pair of overly tight jeans, I decided that I had spent enough money for one day.

         Our last stop was back at the eye-care place.  The girl working there showed me how to care for my contacts, and how to take them in and out of my eyes.  This wasn’t all that easy to do.  For one thing my eyes kept blinking every time my fingers came close to them.

         The gold rimmed glasses were the final touch, making the change complete.  Looking into one of the mirrors in the place, I could hardly believe I was looking at the same person I looked at this morning

         Even the lines under my eyes were covered by the rims of the glasses.  The short blonde hair would have to take a bit of getting used to, but it really didn’t look all that bad.

         Walking down the hall, to make our way back to the car, couples could be seen walking hand in hand, sitting together on benches, buying each other trinkets, and pointing toward wanted objects in windows.

         I pondered the thought of others assuming Louise and I were a couple.  What did we look like side by side, our arms full of bags.  Glancing over to her, she smiles back, seeming like she’s having as much fun as I am.

         Everything inside me tells me to stay away from her.  Alarms seem to ring in my head, warning that danger is near.  And yet, I long to spend every minute with her.  Where do I go from here?  I want to take her with me, but I’m afraid.  No one has made me feel this way before.  I fight to keep myself from dropping the bags I carry, and reach for her hand.  I want so much to be like the couples around us.  But that fear of the unknown stops me. No knowing what the future holds; it pushes me away, and at the same time, that is what has pulled us together.

         She turns her attention from me to an elderly man sitting alone on a bench.  I have to give a double take to see if he is still alive.  Slouched over, he looks as though he’ll fall to the floor with the slightest nudge.  His clothes are dirty and torn, his hair a wandering mess.

         I watch silently as Louise stops, and sets her bags down.  She scrambles searchingly through her purse, until a couple of waded bills are found.  Without a second thought, she hands them to him.  Weakly he raises his head, a broad smile on his face.

         Death stalks his every movement waiting for the kill, and yet she gives what little she has to him.  Why waste her money, when he probably won’t live long enough to spend it.  How can a person be so giving in this world?  Surely, when he was younger and stronger, he wouldn’t have done the same thing.

         Then to totally amaze me, she stretches out her arms and hugs the man.  His unclean scent catches me off guard and I choke back the bile in my throat; she must be holding her breath.

         With a smile totally affixed, tears streamed down his face stopping at his upper lip, where his front tooth is missing.  There they drip to her shoulder, which supports the weight of his head.

         Slowly she pulls away helping him back to rest gently on the bench.  Before standing again, she reaches for her bags.  Shaking, his hand catches her wrist, bringing her attention back to him.  Reaching into his raggedy, weather beaten, jacket pocket; he pulls out with utmost care, a little daisy he had recently picked.

         Stretching an open hand out to her, he nods an offer to take the flower which gently rests there.  I know that there is more wealth in that flower, than all the bags we carry.  With the same understanding, Louise takes the flower.



         I zip up my jacket, keeping the October wind from chilling me.  The sudden extra movement sends an aroma of fresh leather, bringing my mind back to the mall.  Today’s endeavors were a lot of fun despite the seriousness of our “mission”.  I decided to spend a little time to myself tonight, enjoying a walk out in the fresh air.

         This city has its smog monsters, but I only smell the fragrance of nature in my nostrils.  It is peaceful on this quiet street tonight.  Only familiar city sounds can be heard from the distant busy sections of town.  Walking along the cracked sidewalk, already fallen leaves can be seen, flattened and dried.  Their magnificent color giving way to decay, causing their beauty to become unwanted litter.

         A dog barks nearby to break the silence around me.  I ponder what it could be barking at; a small animal, the moon, maybe even an intruder whose scent it hasn’t smelled before.

         I continue on until I reach a desolate cemetery.  It’s black, iron fence surrounds it to give it protection from the world around it.  Stepping through the front gate, it gives me a different feeling.  The fence keeps it in its own separate world.  An eerie feeling crawls through me, making me decide that the fence protects the world from this place.

         I can feel a definite change in temperature just in the few steps I’ve taken into this new domain.  A chill brushes my bones, that even my new jacket has no protection against.

         Even the trees block from the outside world.  Patches of dying grass surround the base of each tree showing that during the day, the sun is kept out of here too.

         Lights from the street seem afraid to enter.  A few streets dare to shine in, and are gradually consumed by the dark within.  Long shadows seem to stretch over anything in their path, grasping and exterminating any hope of comfort.

         For such a place of death, I feel as though this place is alive.  It feels as if it pulls at me, trying to take what life I have hoping to add another to its large count of victims.

         In a way, I feel like I have a lot in common with this place.  We both thrive on claiming another as our own.  Death flows through as both, controlling our every move.

         There are so many here, this being their final resting place.  I wonder how many I brought here myself.  How many were rushed to their death by my hands?  I see myself as part of a terrifying cycle.  Steel orders their death, I bring it into reality, then this place receives them with open arms.  Their final resting place is being consumed slowly by this place.  Gradually over time they decompose like leaves, and every other living thing until nothing remains.  Even the casket many spend so much money on can’t protect them from this place’s grasp.  Eventually their final little home is broken into.  Their last bit of privacy is invaded until everything they ever had is taken from them, right down to their very bodies.  All that we fight for, kill for, struggle for in life is gone; nothing remains.

         But, what happens to the person inside of each body.  Do they decompose also?  Or is there really such thing as another life?

         Eventually, even I, myself, will be bought to a place like this.  And just like the rest, I too, will have nothing left.  I fight so hard to be in control of everything, but then, I’ve proved time and again, is that you can’t control when you will die.

         So again I ask myself; who has the power or authority of life and death?  And when do we finally die.  Is it when someone pulls the trigger, or is it long before then?  Like that old man for example, he seemed dead already.  Or was I only looking at the outside.  Looking at his heart or emotions, I saw someone who was more alive than I’ve ever seen.  I think we all gave two lives; one on the outside and one on the inside.  They both can die at different times.

         Can either be reborn?  Can I feel and live again?  Or has emotion died in me forever?  Two lives… I’ve heard that before.  I rack my brain trying to remember, but nothing clicks.

         Louise seems to have all the answers to her life’s questions.  She just gives everything to God.  Is that just a cop out so that she doesn’t have to deal with her problems, or can it really be that simple?  Well, looking at her personality, she definitely has something figured out.

         I wonder if I can talk to this God?  Maybe if I let him take control, I might be able to get some answers.  I hesitate, wondering if praying in a cemetery would be wrong.

         I look around to see if anyone is around, when I catch sight of a gravestone farther ahead of me.  It seems vastly larger than the rest; so much so, that it attracts my total attention.  Walking up to it, the image of a cross becomes more defined.  I read the inscription underneath.

         “REVERAND WILLIAM KRAUSE KILLED BY RICHARD MARTIN”

         My mouth is open wide, as I stumble backward from the horrible sight before me.  A sudden wind blows keeping me off balance; lightning flashes, as a storm fast approaches.  Thunder crashes around me as if seeing this grave brought on the end of the world.

         Falling to one knee I throw my glasses off hoping to manipulate the world before me.  Still, it remains the same.

         The noise around me grows, the wind howling a deafening chant.  I cover my ears to stop the pain then instantly silence.  The wind and lightning cease; the only remaining evidence of their existence is a few leaves falling gently to the ground.

         Before I can stand again, the earth begins to tremble.  Slowly and unsteadily, I rise to my feel.  I keep them placed far apart trying to keep from being thrown to the ground.  I try to make my way forward, each step unsure; hoping to make it to his grave for support.

         I stop halfway there when a crack forms at the bottom of the gravestone.  Slowly it rises toward the top of the large mass of marble.  At the same time a crack heads toward me, separating the ground where he is buried.  Slowly the earth gives way widening to a small hole in the earth.

         When the crevice is about two feet wide, again silence claims the cemetery.  I don’t move, my every thought is on the opening before me.

         Like a scene from a horror movie, two grotesque hands reach for the surface.  Grabbing a hold of the edge, they start to lift an attached body to the surface.  I don’t want to stick around to see what happens next, but I’m transfixed to where I stand.

         Slowly it rises from the grave, it’s torn chest heaves gathering the night air.  Bugs, worms, and other small insects crawl in and out of the hole where his heart once was.

         Decay has set in too rapidly for me to believe he’s been dead for only two days.  It’s parched skin seems to barely hold to his face.  It looks as if his skull will protrude out any second.  Clumps of mud cling to his hair and clothes, reminding me from where he came.

         The suit he wears is probably the only thing he has left of this world.  Many tears expose his grayish skin, the deterioration of his outfit seeming as rapid as his own decomposition.

         He comes with inches of me, then stops.  His bones crack from motion as he raises his hand to his face.  He seems to be pondering his next action, his fingers resting on his chin.  He licks his cracked lips before he speaks.  “What’s it feel like to live?”  He has to force the words, his lungs not used to the air.

         He tilts his head to the side, watching me intently.  He rasps, “You took so much, for so little.  There were many things I planned to do, and didn’t have the time to do them.  It’s funny how we rush through life, trying to accomplish so much.  And for what?

         Before I can respond, he grabs me by the shirt collar.  Drawing me close, he frowns.  “I should pay you back; right here, right now.  But you’re not to blame, are you?  No, you are just a tool.  Steel is to blame for ruining both of our lives.”

         Throwing me back, I fall to the ground.  Landing roughly, something digs into my back.  Reaching behind me, I feel the all too familiar handle of my gun tucked into my waist of my jeans.  I close my fingers around it, ready to defend myself.

         “Go ahead, do it Rick!”  This voice snaps my attention to the gravestone.  He sits there; the man of my dreams watching on.

         He sits on the gravestone, intently viewing our confrontation.  “Don’t let him push you around.  You have the power.”

         I rise to my feet, bringing my aim to the creature before me.  Can I stop everything right here?  Is this thing the cause of my problem?

         “That’s it Rick old pal.”  He smirks.  “He’s your trouble.  He’s playing with your head.”

         The soft voice brings me back to the thing, but it has changed.  Now standing like the day I first saw him, a handsome man stretches out to me.  “Whatever the reason, I still love you.”  The familiar phrase slaps me in the face.  I see in his eyes the love I’ve seen many times in Louise’s.

         The harsh voice snaps me back to reality.  “Don’t let him manipulate you Rick.  He’s toying with your emotions.  It’s that horrible creature in disguise.  When you killed him remember the rush you got?  That was from killing evil.”

         I trade glances with both of them, debating what to do next.  “What do you want from me?”  I shout, confusion overwhelming my voice.

         The former minister says nothing; he just drops his arms to his sides.

         “I don’t want anything.”  My mystery counselor responds.  “I’m just looking out for you kid.”  I start to walk towards him, he halts me with a caution from his hand.

         Hopping to the ground, he steps towards me.  Stopping a little behind the silent preacher.  “In all your troubles, all your misfortunes, I’ve been there to help you.  Every time a little luck came your way, I gave you a hand.  When you were all alone, no one came to you.  But, I was there, giving that little whisper of encouragement.”

         Pointing to the minister he adds  “It was people like him who were there to poison you.  They used you, tearing you apart.  It’d get so bad, that I’ve been forced to show myself to you.  I’m here now to save you from torment.  We’re part of each other; you and I.  Do away with the rest.”

         What I do next, I do with necessity.  Again I bring about the end of Rev. Krause’s life.  Like a giant glass picture, the scene before me shatters.  Fragments of what I’m seeing fall to the ground as the bullet destroys my vision.

         The scene is replaced by the entrance of the cemetery.  As each shaed hits the ground, it disappears.  I now look on the cemetery, knowing that real or not, the last encounter has changed my life.

         The gun in my hand shines like the day I first got it; only not it truly feels alive.  A living weapon, ready to again vent its anger on a weaker foe.  I don’t wonder where it came from this time.  I know a friend has given me the tool to end my problems.  I must destroy Arden Steel.  To bring him down, is to end my nightmare.

         I return .45 magnum back to where I discovered it, draping my jacket over the handle.  It feels comfortable resting against me.  I feel as if I’ve been reunited with an old friend.

         Louise turns her attention to me, the television still droans on unheeded.  She relaxes in the easy chair; the couch is already made for me to sleep in.  It was a kind gesture of her; but, I won’t be sleeping here tonight.  Tonight this will all end; I must meet Steel.

         The meeting place is an appropriate one, the problem is gating him alone.  I know he won’t trust me to come unguarded; with good reasons.  Only one of us will see the morning.

         Quietly, she gets up and turns off the television.  She knows something is wrong without me even saying a word.  I speak anyway, giving confirmation of her worries.  “I have to end this chaos on my life.  I can’t take this anymore.”

         Reading my thoughts, she steps closer, her eyes reflecting the room’s only lamp.  She looks scared.  “Going after Steel isn’t going to solve your problems, can’t you see?  He’s not to blame.  You make your decisions in life.  God has his hand on you.”

         At this remark I cringe.  “What, is a bolt of lightening going to strike me dead?”

         “He’s given you a choice, life or death.  That doesn’t mean someone else’s, but your own.  By choosing to live for God we’ll have eternal life in heaven.

         “The power you’ve been looking for in life, is not in guns or money.  It is in the one who created those lives you think you can so easily destroy.  His power is more awesome than any power than you can give yourself.  The joys of life draw from Him.  He’ll give you love and peace, all you have to do is ask for it.”

         I have been looking for this kind of a life, but it can’t be that real.  “O.K. so if I buy what you are telling me, how do I do this?”

         A smile crosses her face.  “It’s easy, all you have to do is ask Jesus to forgive your sins and to come into your heart.”

         “That’s it?”  I question.

         “Yep, that’s all.”  She replies with much assurance.

         I can’t believe that all I would have to do is talk to God, and that I could be just like Louise.  I mean, He couldn’t make a person like me into such a loving person.  There has to be more.  “That can’t be possible.  There’s no way I can be forgiven.  All the people that died at my hands!  Their families would never forgive me, why would some God that doesn’t know me?”

         I turn my back to her, the symbol of finality to this conversation.  I feel the stab of rejection in her voice.  “You’re confused right now.  But, can’t you understand?”  Once again she won’t sit for my demands, she has to get in the last word.  A real trooper to the end.  “Killing another isn’t going to make things better.”

         I’ve already thought about that one.  “Think of all the others who he’ll have killed.  By doing bad, I’ll actually be doing good.”

         “You’ve got all the excuses, you know that?  There’s got to be a better way to solve this than by what you’re planning.”  She offers.

         I turn back to her.  Tears roll down her cheeks, her bottom lip quivers slowly.  I swallow hard, trying to keep myself together.  I want to reach out and pull her tightly to me.  Oh, how I long for a normal life; to be able to take her away.  I know that cannot happen.

         My vision blurs; my eyes fill with emotion.  “Please forgive me, Louise. I wish it could be as you say.”  I edge closer to her, tears escaping their prisons that they’ve been held in for so long.  I lose track of her beautiful face, water makes it hard to see straight.  As the distance between us closes, she gracefully comes back into focus.

         I know now how I truly feel about her.  This is the woman I have always dreamed would enter my life, but why at such a bad time?  My lips start to form those words I’ve sworn never to say.  I want to tell her I love her, but still I hold back.

         Her light smelling perfume drifts to my nostrils.  It pulls me inches closer, until her breath tickles my mouth.  I gently dry her cheek with the edge of my fingers.  She closes her eyes, enjoying my touch.  Her breathing responds with short gasps.  As she slowly tilts her head back, her lip barely brushes with mine.

         I hesitate, wondering what I am truly doing.  Can I allow this to happen?  My heart tugs for the next move, as she waits for the embrace.  The next second seems like an eternity, my decision is the only thing able to recessitate time.

         This time I’m in total physical control; this time the destruction is my own doing.  Slowly, I step away, breaking the embrace before it begins.  I can’t bring her into this.  Love isn’t part of my life.

         Turning away, I dry my face.  The door closes gently behind me.  I know for the last time in my life, Louise will bring happiness to my life.  She’s a part of me I long to have in my life, but happiness comes to those who deserve it; I don’t.

         I use the last twenty dollars I have on me to take a cab to the rendezvous.  The driver enjoys the generous tip I leave him.  I’m sure Louise will find the briefcase; I’ll no longer need it.

         I figure the most appropriate place to end all of this is right where it all began.  Now the house seems evil, its windows seem like eyes, watching my every movement.  They stare at me as I go around to the side door.

         The yellow police tape appears like a barrier to keep out any trespassers.  The only hindrance though, is its sticking to my hands as I pull it off.  Like a giant spider’s web, it tries to cling to me.

         The locked door takes seconds to get through, taunting me to re-enter this strange and mysterious building.  Some secret is held to this place.  Something waits for me ahead.  A terror sits, resting upstairs.  My subconscious warns me to stay away; to not find out what happened the other night.  The phrase “curiosity killed the cat” keeps flashing through my mind.

         As I climb the stairs, each step echoes through the hallway.  I feel as if I should be carrying a torch, entering some ancient tomb.  Already cobwebs clutter the once open path.  Now, I brush them from my face, hoping to avoid any creatures that live among these silky tendrils.

         Entering the kitchen, an inch of dust can be seen covering all inside.  It’s as if no one has been here in years.  Reaching for the phone hanging on the wall, I bring the receiver to my ear.  Only silence thunders from it.

         I start to put it back on it’s cradle, punishing myself for thinking it still worked, when the sound of it’s ringing calls to me.  I quickly bring it back to my ear, waiting for someone to answer my undialed call.  With little surprise, Steel’s voice returns to my ears.

         “Yes?” He responds, apparently annoyed at the intrusion.  Street sounds can be heard in the background, signaling that he’s in his limo.  That’s good; all the faster I’ll get to see him.

         With a steady voice, “It’s me, Steel.  At the preacher’s house in ten minutes, alone.”  I knew it was pointless to add the alone part, but I had said it anyway.  Without waiting for a response, I hung up on him; which I’m sure he didn’t appreciate at all.

         I know without a doubt that he will come.  I also know he won’t be alone.  He doesn’t trust me, with good reason.  I anticipate his actions, with little worry.  All of his power rests in his command, not in himself.  I, on the other hand, am overloading with power.  This will be all too easy.  By morning, my life should be my own again.

         The biggest problem I’ll have, is whatever is at the end of the hall.  That room; it holds the answer to the other night.  Peering down the hall, the closed door keeps me from my solution.  It barricades my humorously, taunting me with each step I take towards it.  The hall seems endless now; every inch seeming a mile.

         The feeling of death answers me worse now than at the cemetery; I can’t believe this used to house a holy man.  Each closing movement to my destination seems more confined; like the walls shrunk closer together.

         Stretching my hand out to the doorknob, I feel like it’s opening would swallow me into it’s domain.  Upon grasping it, a chill runs through me.  The doorknob is as cold as ice, even though I feel like I’m in an oven.

         A red glow penetrates from under the door, casting a band of light across the hall’s floor.  A glowing carpet covers the floor, the only break; where my feel cast shadows.

         If I didn’t know better, I’d say the door was swelling in and out, as if the room were alive and breathing.

         Perspiration clings my shirt to my back, but still I start to twist the handle.  I know that no matter what, I must enter the room; I must have the answers to my nightmarish questions.

         Slowly, I edge the door open.  The reddish glow from inside brightens to white as the room becomes lighted from the lamp on his desk.  The light itself, including the desk, are blocked by a familiar figure.  He stands with his back to me, but I know who it is.

         His voice breaks the silence, and my surprise.  “Stop.”  He states, simply.  Apparently he doesn’t know I’m here, because he said it to the other person in the room.

         I see the outstretched hands behind him as the other person partially comes into view.  With that soft loving voice, I hear that phrase again.  Too many times it has been spoken to me.  Mimicking me each time.  “Whatever your reason, I still love you.”

         With great horror I realize I’m watching the scene unfold in front of me.  Like a play, I watch the characters recite the lines.

         I don’t want to see the end of this scene again.  I stare at myself, watching as my body trembles from the preacher’s statement.  I know what happens next all too well.

         Without thinking, I dive towards the other me.  “No, don’t do it!”  I scream, lunging to tackle the assailant.

         Like an optical illusion, I start to drift through my other image.  The explosion of the gun twists with the combining of my two selves.  My body spasms with pain, throwing me into convulsions.

         Simultaneously the pastor and myself get thrown to the floor by an invisible force.  The light bulb on the desk lamp explodes like a grenade throwing hundreds of particles about the room.  Light gives way to darkness; the shadows now take over.

         The pain quickly subsides, allowing me to stand to my feet.  Quickly by instinct, I drew my gun again.

         His voice turns me around.  “You won’t be needing that.”  The man in my dreams speaks to me.  But, the creature now before me doesn’t resemble him at all.

         All of these encounters, and I never caught on.  No one ever believed that there was a God, because they never saw him.  Likewise, no one had ever seen the devil before, until now.  I never dreamed I could have been fooled to think he was on the good side helping me to destroy evil.

         To look at him; or it, I’m not sure which, was to lose one’s breath.  The serpent told of Adam and Eve always gave me the idea of a snake.  This was no little snake.  To call him more of a dragon would be a much closer description.  The most hideous creature ever imagined had become a reality.

         His black scales that covered his body seemed course enough that to even have him pass by you would tear the flesh off a mortal man.  He took up an expanse of the entire width, and height, of the room.  Although it seems the room has expanded some thirty feet high to accommodate such a guest.

         His sleek looking wings were the only hint of beauty he possessed.  They sloped gracefully down his back, only allowing the sharp horns that lined the crest of his back to show.  The razored end of the wind I could fully see, tore into the wall like a knife through butter.  Nothing could be built to contain such a beast.

         His eyes; those eyes… I can’t tell you the pain I see to look into them.  I won’t look into them.  At a quick glance I could taste a bit of the terror they have caused in the past.  The countless number of others that have fallen into the same fate I have.

         I could imagine that he could breathe fire in an instant; the fire of the pits of hell from which he came.  Terrified I did not move.  He was right, my gun would no longer be of any use.

         “And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, come hither; I will show unto thee the judgement of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters.  Revelation 17.”  His voice became that of such majesty that I couldn’t help but fall to my knees at the sound of it.

         “I quote to you from the bible.  Unlike you I am not foreign to it.  I tell you that this moment has been foreseen.”

© Copyright 2010 phonline (scott.gillard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676270-Dimensional-Embrace-part-3