*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676598-The-God-Factory
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1676598
"Who keeps track of these things?"
After passing though the production floor, he mounted the stairs to his office door.
Collective Unconsciousness, Inc.

Deity Division

X. Antilles, Manager


it read. Finding his key, he let himself in, flicked on the lights and headed to his desk to put down his briefcase.

He liked getting in before the rest of the staff. He got so much more work done while all alone.

He started a pot of coffee and then walked back to his desk. On his way he powered on the copier and grabbed the overnight faxes.

Just as his computer was booting up, his direct line rang.

"This is Xavier, talk to me."

"Fred! How are you?" He paused while the caller responded.

"Glad to hear it, and how was your weekend?"

"Good for you," Xavier said.

Fred asked a question, "Me? Didn't do anything but watch TV this weekend. Saw Clash of the Titans for the hundredth time. Gets funnier every time I see it.

"So, Fred, what do you need from me?"

"The Hindu Pantheon inventory upgrade? Sure, give me a sec. I have to log in."

Xavier liked talking to Fred. He was the only member of the Board of Directors that knew what he and his crew did. The rest of them couldn't tell the difference between Odin and Zeus.

Fred always got the best consultants when they became available; like Carl and Mr. Campbell.

"Here they are," Xavier announced, "Do you want this year's or last year's?"

He listened for Fred's preference. "Both? Sure can. Just so you know, this year's isn't done yet, but we are on schedule.

"OK, then, I'll attach them to an e-mail.

"You got that right," Xavier responded to a comment, "If it weren't for the Hindu gods, this factory wouldn't have opened in the first place. There seem to be more gods every year."

Fred spoke. "Oh yes, we are keeping busy down here.

"You know those fantasy writers keep the doors open, both here and in Heroes & Villains. Although sometimes I wish they would consider trying monotheism for a while, so I could easier schedule vacations," Xavier finished with a laugh.

"What's that?" Fred repeated the question. "Don from H & V? Yeah, saw him yesterday at the manager's meeting.

"Oh, they are swamped. What with vampires, boy wizards and so on, they can hardly keep up.

"Don stole two of my crew last month to make them supervisors. He also hired some temps to deal with the back log.

"He was saying after the meeting that he wanted to propose to the board that they divide his division."

Fred said something. "I'm not positive how the split would go. I'm definitely in his corner about it."

Fred added something. "Really? Great, I'll let Don know you are willing to back him on it, that will help."

Just then Helen walked in, "Hey, Mr. X."

Xavier waved to her, then went back to the call. "Well, my assistant manager just came in. Gotta look like I'm working.

"Those files should be in your e-mail, I'll talk with you later."
© Copyright 2010 Lee: Namaste! (lee0047 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676598-The-God-Factory