*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676631-Unexpected-weather-changes-455-words
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1676631
Changing weather
It was early in the morning in Jaco, Costa Rica during the rainy season when my young wife screamed at me to get up. When I heard the water gushing like the river rapids, my first breath was "Who left the toilet running? As I jump out of the bed naked into 3 feet of water, I realized this was not a dream. Our house was flooded and the water was flowing mightily as the many rivers of the jungle here in Costa Rica do during the rainy season.
I noticed the refrigerator floating with the newly bought $200.00 worth of food and our only T.V., still plugged in banging on the door and was extremely sacred to death as my thoughts shifted to my young family's safety. I hurriedly sought my 3 year old son and his 2 year old sister as I frantically yelled to my wife to hold the baby tight. I was horrified at the thought that we were all about to die because there was not any light at all and the sound of the river spewing its force upon our humble house just 30 meters from the beach and in front of the river that flowed from the mountains to the beach was under siege by this sudden change in the weather.
Thankfully we able to exit the house but as we tried to get through the main gate the incredible force of the water held the gate shut tight. Again my fears increased as I tried to assist with the three young children and their mother to get out of this watery death. I finally forced open the gate only enough to squeezed us through and onto the dirt road that led to the beach.
As we neared the beach the water was not as high and a moment of relief pass in my mind. I wanted to check our predicament so I told my wife not to move from our high ground and I waded back down towards the house and the tiny bridge which was under 2 feet of water yet it seemed to me that the river didn't crest here but had actually broke the the bank somewhere up river from the back of our little house and flooded us.
I returned to the family at the top of the high tide mark and then we waded to the nearest telephone 1/4 mile away and I called for help. The entire town of Jaco was flooded from this sudden change in the weather that was a result of a stalled hurricane off the coast in the Caribbean. It only took around 8 hours yet it was the most terrifying 15 minutes I have ever experience.
© Copyright 2010 MarcoMann (marcomann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1676631-Unexpected-weather-changes-455-words