*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679598-Depth-of-Love
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1679598
Sharon and Chris's wedding would go down in family lore.
The rain outside could be measured in buckets, as the groom’s parents rushed inside the church doors. Their freshly dry-cleaned clothing now drenched in the torrent. The sun buried so far behind a wall of dark clouds, lightning produced the only light the sky would bear.

Sharon, the bride, heard the powerful thunder from inside her dressing room. She cried. Her wedding was not supposed to be a waterlogged catastrophe. Her mother, Carolyn, offered her shoulder to her weeping offspring.

“Sharon, it’s time.”
…….

The flashes and booming continued as the organist played “Here Comes the Bride.” Sharon progressed down the aisle. While the storm continued unabated, the service went as planned. The pastor had to repeat a few lines, and the groom’s soft voice couldn’t be heard, but the only one that mattered – Sharon – could. A sweet smile spread across her face upon the final pronouncement.

Chris and Sharon took their first wedded kiss, when shouts of “Oh, my God.”coursed through the families. A rush of water pushed open the back doors and streamed into the sanctuary. The young girls screamed and the bride fainted. Chris caught his new bride as pew by pew the water streamed in. Carolyn fanned her daughter with some wedding napkins that she’d used as tissues.

The water rose furiously as inches became a foot in just a half-hour’s time. The whole crowd perched on the stage.

Chris’s father let out a hardy laugh and jumped from the stage and into the murky water. At last, the storm began to subside. Moments later in nearly two feet of water, he threw open the back doors and pulled in his bass boat.

After loading the bride and groom, the wedding party burst out in applause and laughter. No one would forget the love boat wedding.

300 Words
Flash Story Must be: Set at a wedding
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679598-Depth-of-Love