*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735071-Diagnosis
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Psychology · #1735071
Josh stared at the two way mirror as his doctors attempted his diagnosis.
Dr. Phillips studied Josh through the two way mirror, who sat in a chair staring straight ahead, presumably at his own reflection. Dr. Mongs glanced at Phillips.

“So, does he even know?”

“I can’t say. He’s been… well … unresponsive.”

“Does he have any memory of it?”

“I doubt it. I mean to him, waking up with blood all over your clothes and finding your wife dead was very traumatic. He’ll need time to recall what actually happened. Perhaps we’ll never know. I’m sure it’s buried beneath his subconscious.”

“I’m not so sure. I think something else might be going on. I believe he does recall killing her and that this is all a ruse. You saw the tape of how he reacted to us showing the knife.”

“True, but ever since then, he’s had no reaction at all. How do you explain that?”

“Come now. He doesn’t want us to realize he’s the killer. Isn’t that obvious?”

“Well, we have to tell the judge something. The thirty days is nearly up and we still can’t come to an agreement as to his diagnosis. He seems to not recall anything.”

Dr. Mongs sighed. “I know. I’m not even certain that he killed her. He could have picked up the knife afterward. He said he held her, picked up the knife, and went looking for the killer – wanting to kill him with the same knife.”

Phillips laughed. “Do you buy that? Come on. That’s ridiculous. His prints were all over the knife. Her blood all over him. Who else could it be? She had no enemies. You heard McCray’s testimony."

Suddenly, Josh’s expression changed and a wry smile flashed on his face. His voice changed, his eyes became wild. He gazed at his reflection. “I never should have listened to you.”


300 Words
Flash Story Must contain the line: "I never should have listened to you."
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1735071-Diagnosis