*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679649-Second-Sight-part-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1679649
John Vattic awakens from a coma to bad news. Based on the game by Codemasters
                                                    Second Sight

    Everything seemed hazy, like part of dream.  Actions that would normally be impossible to perform were happening before his very eyes.  Men were tossing office equipment at each other without lifting a finger.  The screams of children echoed and vibrated off the cold steel walls of the building, almost drowning out the sounds of the two men near him.  Nothing was making sense it was all out of order, it began snowing.  Four men and a woman were waving for him to follow them into the light.  With out warning the screams became the sounds of automatic fire, blood flowed from the steel walls.  The group that was moving towards the light began shouting for him to move, but no sound came from their lips.  He began running towards them, it was so bright that he could barely see.  The woman reached out a hand, he could almost grasp it. 

                                ---Present Day, Location Unknown---

    John Vattic screamed as he jolted out of his nightmare.  Alarms were sounding all around him, the room covered in a red emergency light.  Panicked, John began twisting and turning only to be met with nearly unbearable pain.  He grabbed at the source of the pain only to find blood soaked bandages cross-crossed his head.  Slowly, John began to lift his injured body from the table, carefully pulling out the IV and other instruments attached to his body.
    Vattic looked like he had just been on the losing end of an Ultimate Fighter match, his Chest and arms were bandaged and he had heavy bruising across his stomach.  He had a bandage over his left eye and the top of his head was still bleeding, but not at alarming rate.  The alarm was still blaring from the speaker in the right corner of the room.  He seemed to be in a small surgery room of a hospital, but John was not really sure.  With great pain, Vattic limped over to the door and found it to be unlocked. 
    Opening the door, John peaked out to see a long hallway bathed in the red of the emergency lighting.  Wincing, he stumbled down the hallway, using the walls to steady himself.  The hallway forked to the right ahead as John crept towards the opening.  Glancing down the hallway, he saw the bodies of black suited men and surgery doctors litter the floor. 
    "What the hell is this place?"
    Ignoring the pain that coursed through his nerves, John broken into a semi-jog towards the bodies. 
    "Why are these guys packing so much hardware for a hospital, something is defiantly wrong with this place, ahhh!" 
    John dropped down to one knee as he grabbed at his head.  It felt like his skull was caving into his brain, but something weird was happening.  The hallway around him seemed to be blurring and changing.  The bodies on the floor began picking themselves off the floor as if being in rewind.  The hallway gunfight that occurred earlier was replaying in slow-motion.  The doctors were diving trying to find cover as the men in suits began returning fire at the assailants.  John was having a hard time keeping himself lucid, he felt like he has just drank whole bottle whiskey.  The men seemed to be coming from the offices farther down the hallway, like they had been pushing the staff into this corner of the building.  The gunmen were just coming into view when John could keep his eyes open no longer.  Vattic fell to the floor as the world keep spinning around him, the pain subsided from his head. 
    When everything seemed alright again, John picked himself off the floor to find all the bodies back in there place. 
      "What's happening to me!"
His screaming echoed down the empty hallways, the alarm system quickly taking the place of the added noise.  Gathering himself, Vattic began moving towards the offices.  The floor showed steaks of blood as he neared of rows of offices, as if bodies had been dragged towards where he had come.
    When he came up on the offices, all of them seemed to be trashed. 
    "Seems like those guys were looking to erase something, was it about me?"  Following the hallway down, it lead to an elevator.  Without hesitation, John pressed the "UP" arrow and waited.  The doors opened instantly to find that the shaft was empty, the cables for the elevator cut. 
    "Looks like I'm taking the stairs."
   
                                              ---5 months ago---
   
    "You all were selected for this mission because you all are the best at what you do.  Before I give this briefing, I am to remind you that everything here is off the record and if anything is to go wrong, you all never existed." 
    Richard Matis scanned the room to see if anyone had any objections and without failure the hand of John Vattic rose. 
    "Look, I'm still not sure why you need a Clinical Psychologist here. I may only get my CIA knowledge from Vince Flynn novels but don't you keep the experts out of harms way?"
    "As I have stated before, where you are going there will be no way to stay in contact, we need you and Doctor Wilde on site." 
John leaned back in his chair in disgust at the name of the Wilde.  How she had gotten a Doctorate in psychic arts was still a mystery to him.  Every time he would submit an study that in anyway disproved the idea of any psychic power or ability, she was there with the full power of the American love of magic tricks. 
    "Now if there are no more questions, lets begin.  The target of this operation is to find and extract Dimitri Greckov, a Russian scientist who has pleaded with our government for asylum since the end of the Cold War.  We believe that the Russians have been trying to sell his research into the human mind to the highest bidder by selling him.  We need to grant his wish and extract him and his research before this happens." 
    "If this is such a huge issue why don't we just make a press statement saying that we are allowing him citizenship?" asked Vattic. 
Matis was surprised by the question, had Vattic not know of people in his own field of study? 
    "That's because the Russian staged his death 7 years ago, when he contacted us a few days ago we got the full story.  Needless to say, we can't have the public have knowledge of this program, from what Greckov has told us it would be disastrous. 
As if on queue, Jayne Wilde walked in the meeting room. 
    "Come on, now Doctor Vattic, it doesn't take a psychic to know that giving asylum to a dead man sounds rather crazy."
John snorted in disgusted over the whole thing. 
    "Yeah and I can tell you that we don't need the two of us to extract a single person." 
Matis was at the end of his rope, if these two were going to fight like 5 year olds the whole time this was going to be one long operation. 

                                            ---Present Day--- 
    "Operation WinterICE, looks like everyone is dead or missing from that mission except Wilde.  She was checked into a mental hospital in Vermont 3 months ago with violent delusions and claims she had been fighting terrorists in Siberia." 
    John had figured out where he was once he had gotten to the main floor of the building.  It was a CIA run laboratory which was doubling as a drug addiction center.  He had found the file in one of the rooms the men who had assaulted the building had forgotten to check. 
    "I remember being apart of this mission, but everything else is hazy, Damn it why can't I remember!" 
Suddenly the same feeling that he had in the hallway earlier was happening again.  The room began to shutter this time as his eyes glazed over.  John could see the Massachusetts State Police swarming the building and yelling for him to come out peacefully.  He collapsed to the floor yet again and began breathing heavily.
    "Those bastards framed me, that's why they moved the bodies and destroyed all the labs and computers!" 
    John quickly got to his feet and ran for the back entrance of the building.  He swung open the door and scanned the parking lot to find a lone black sedan parked in the lot.  He ran to car to find that it was unlocked and the lifeless CIA operative laying next to driver side door had the keys and his sidearm.  Vattic grabbed those and the mans wallet and sped out of the parking lot and into the night.  Twenty minutes later, the State Police arrived to find the massacre and the hunt for John Vattic was in full force.   
© Copyright 2010 RandomWriter (campbell59595 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1679649-Second-Sight-part-1