*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680752-Void-Idk
by Drif
Rated: · Other · Other · #1680752
Kay this story is cool.
In the untold eras of time, there existed two worlds, entwined by fate, held together by gravity. One was savage, and thirsted for the other’s blood. The planets raged with war, attempting to stay alive and thrive upon another. As the savage planet laid siege upon the other, the people of the other planet could only pray and hope that their prayers would be heard by the gods, and they would grant them divine protection. The Commandment was formed, dedicated to having the gods hear them and grant them a breath of hope. After years of fighting, an army was formed, calling themselves the Divine Force. They collectively drove off the demons from the other world while the Commandment searched desperately for an answer. In the planet’s darkest hour, a squad of divine beings, later became to be known as the Sereithina as a whole, singly known as a Sereith. These creatures created a barrier by using a lake to serve as the barrier’s guardian. They gave the Commandment minerals, explaining that there can only be as many cities as there are gems. If these collective gems were taken to the lake by a demonic hand, the barrier would be shattered. The Sereithina stayed on the prospering world as guardians of the lake, until they simply disappeared from the world, disappearing as quickly as they had come.

Nearly forty two years have passed since then. Many cities have popped up since then, named after their respective minerals. The Commandment, after forty two years of harbouring their objectives, declared themselves the official ethical and political leaders, dedicated to keeping the prosperity. The Divine Force declared that they were the official army and official demon hunters. The planet was well on its way. However, unseen by the Commandment or the Divine Force, the forces of demons crept up from the most unlikely places...





Lapis; City of Trade & Lapis Lazuli; Base of Operations of the High Commandment; 14 hours 43 minutes Past:



Lapis, as Amos suspected, had the most defence against demons out of all the cities he had been to. The city had been prioritized, with the cathedral and the base of operations for the High Commandment in the direct center of the city, while the poor citizens were bundled on the outskirts, before the city slowly got richer and more vibrant towards the center of trade, a giant circle plaza with a fountain at its center. The fountain was adorned with a large angel statue that spurted water from its mouth that cascaded perfectly around it. Around that statue was possibly the biggest gathering of merchants that Amos had ever seen, all having traveled from every corner of Fulda, with the largest selection of goods and customers that could ever bless Fulda. Because of the trade plaza, it was only natural that the best of the best guards protect Lapis, and with it the cathedral and the Commandment’s Base of Operations, both important highlights of the city, and possibly of the world.

He could admit to himself that an attack on Lapis would be suicidal, its design was near flawless, having state of the century cannons that were disguised as lapis lazuli columns, lapis lazuli being one of the few gemstones with a charge blast that could obliterate a Greater Demon with a single strike, even in the small fragments that the guards carried. He knew that one lapis lazuli column could obliterate at least forty Greater Demons with a single charge, and with at least fifty or sixty columns surrounding the city, even an army of a thousand would fall quickly.

But of course, every great design had a flaw, most minor and some major, and as luck would have it for Amos, this one was quite major. He knew from a researcher while he was being debriefed as a High Clergy Guardian that lapis lazuli lost their charge in the cold. He knew that then that the small fragments took about thirty six hours after exposure to the cold to work again, and he imagined that the lapis lazuli columns took even longer, even with the steel reinforcements that were supposed to store heat and exert it during times of cold. The steel reinforcements only went so far, and Amos suspected that the lapis lazuli columns could be offline for as long as a week if it was cold enough.

Unfortunately, Lapis was cleverly located near Mt. Albion a volcano that was rarely active, occasionally sending spurts of lava and ash, along with heated springs and geysers that did much to change the mild to warm weather. Because of this frustrating factor, Lapis had avoided a demonic attack, or any kind of attack for that matter, since its first makings. All the other cities were not quite as fortunate, having neither the weather nor the proper weaponry to scare demons away. It was perhaps this fact that had allowed Lapis to become the top trading city in all of Fulda, and the safest.

But all of that was about to change. Amos smiled as he walked quietly through the cathedral halls, rising up majestically in all their glory. He knew all of this place’s secrets, and exploiting them couldn’t be simpler. It was well known that the Commandment was built outwardly like a fortress, but if one managed to sneak into it, they could see that the fortress was merely built of glass. The Commandment hadn’t had the time to become something magnificent, it had only been around for some forty five years. The Divine Force too, it wouldn’t last long. Not after what was about to come down.





Navix sat alone in his study, reading the papers spread around him. His personal guard, Bicol, had told him to go to bed and leave the reports for later, and maybe even allow the High Commandment counsel to decide. Although Navix had graciously accepted his offer, he couldn’t bear the thought of having all of these important decisions go to the counsel, where they would surely decide for themselves, and not for the people of Lapis. He fundamentally believed that as the highest peace ambassador of the Commandment that he solely would be charged with the responsibility of the safety of the people, something that he took very seriously, as much as his thirteen year old brain could handle. He worked hard, and tried hard to put himself in the position of the poor, visiting those people often, using their opinions as a valuable input on his decisions. Although he knew he was quite young to be a peace ambassador, the highest one of the Commandment even, he never let it get to his head and made sure that he took care of himself while out on excursions. He knew that the counsel thought poorly of him, and most likely underestimated him, but he was determined to earn the respect that he got from the people of Lapis. He had worked hard for this position, studying long hours and attempting to look as reserved and as respectful as possible. It wasn’t easy.

Navix yawned, and rubbed his temples. It was late; many members of the Commandment were already asleep, he could hear one of them snoring, even through the thick steely walls. He smiled to himself and decided that his report could wait, depriving himself of sleep would only come back to haunt him later, counsel deadline wasn’t until late afternoon tomorrow, and he had no meetings and no announcements that were urgent. He gathered the sheets of paper together and piled them neatly on his study, before sliding them into a drawer and locking it with a key. He knew that there was no chance that anybody would steal it, but he felt safer knowing that the reports and complaints of the people couldn’t be stolen by flesh or time. He yawned again, looking around his room with droopy eyes. The room was a pale yellow, with nothing more than an oak desk, a small painting of Lapis, and two ferns symmetrically placed by his desk. Navix wandered over to the painting and lifted it, revealing a small black button. He pressed it, revealing a hidden door between the two ferns. He supposed it was to give him privacy and security into his bedroom. Before he could amble in, a soft tap came at his door. Out of both courtesy and curiosity at who would want to see him at this hour, Navix said,

“Come in!”

The door opened and there stood the mailman. Navix knew that his service went twenty four seven and any mail that came was to be delivered immediately. He walked silently up to Navix and handed him a letter and then bid him farewell. Navix wondered if the man could even talk. With his curiosity brimming, Navix opened the letter and barely made out the return address, which read:

Pastor Kendrick and Reilly

Emerald City

Navix let out a small yelp of delight. He had been expecting Pastor Kendrick for some time now, but he hadn’t expected Reilly, who usually stayed in Emerald to keep their dilapidated home together. But they were both coming to Lapis to stay, as Kendrick had gotten a promotion into Lapis. Not only was Navix proud of Kendrick, but it had been years since he had seen Reilly, his first dear friend. Navix was almost tempted to write back, but they were on the road and would be here in two days. Navix would have to prepare for their arrival after the meeting tomorrow. He knew that there was no point or time for preparation now. He retired to his bedroom, and sleep came in an instant.



The night was cool. Countless stars dotted the night, and there was no moon, so it was perfect for stargazing. And thankfully, Pastor Kendrick had passed out the instant Reilly had rolled out his sleeping bag. He looked around, and leaned back into a log to stare back at the stars. When he was much younger, he could recall that he tried to count the stars, eventually falling asleep in his mother’s arms, a face that had faded from memory’s view. He recalled nothing before he was found near Sapphire’s Crag as a young child, except perhaps a beautiful magnificent lake that he dismissed as childish imagination. He could hardly believe that it had only been eight years. Time had rolled by so slowly that it had seemed like it had been double the time. Reilly often wondered why Kendrick had helped him way back when, he knew that Kendrick hadn’t been smitten by his current abilities, he was no doubt a prodigy follist, using follies at an effective and efficient rate, allowing him access to powerful spells.

Follies were seen as a natural wonder of the world. They gave humans access to elemental magic, since humans could only access telekinesis, telepathy or healing magic, but follies gave them that freedom. However, follies could only be absorbed by some humans, which meant that there were a limited number of follists, and even a smaller number of talented follists. And there are only certain areas with follies, which made it even harder for there to be follists, due to the need of a certain amount of follies in the body in order to control follies. Even with new technology and funded researching, follies remained a mystery to the scientific world.

But being a follist wasn’t the only thing that never ceased to amaze Kendrick. Reilly, from the time that Kendrick had found him, was an excellent pickpocket. He could retrieve a bag of goods from almost anywhere, doing something simple as flicking his dagger. Although Reilly knew that Kendrick hated it when Reilly stole, he saw no better way to keep their house, since Kendrick refused pay and didn’t accept charity. Reilly wondered where Kendrick would be without him, possibly living in the church, since he would have no other shelter.

But he supposed that it didn’t matter. What would have happened had no meaning to what had already happened. He realized that the fire had blown out; there were only a few crackling embers and dying ashes. Although Reilly knew that he should have gone to bed, something put him at unease. He felt that though someone, or perhaps something, would jump him while he slept, and although he knew it was unlikely, he palmed his dagger and gripped it tightly. He walked stealthily towards the tallest nearest tree, and planted himself firmly on top of its branches before looking out in a vain attempt to find something, anything.

But the landscape showed nothing. Other than a couple of sparse trees and shrubs, there was nothing to be seen in the empty field. Reilly would have relaxed if he had at least seen a fox or something, but the field seemed almost dead. Reilly checked his pocket, and once he was assured that his lapis lazuli fragment was still there and hadn’t been affected by the cool weather, he jumped down and rolled out his sleeping bag. He still had a long day of travels tomorrow.



“Guardian Amos, Master Navix does not wish to be disturbed. You will have to wait until a later time, unless your matter is of the most urgency, and must be addressed immediately.” Amos sighed as the guard told him this sternly, sticking out a large spear that blocked his way. He swallowed his words and said simply, “The counsel wishes to convey a message to him and requests his presence in the meeting hall immediately. I was merely sent by High Counsellor Rebus to escort him. Would you tell him?”

The guard considered. “Alright, you may enter, Guardian Amos. Please wait a moment.”

The guard turned and walked swiftly down a small hall, before opening a door and peering in. Amos sighed. It was horribly boring being the messenger boy, but he knew he was in a good position if he was running these errands for one of the highest members of the Commandment. He snapped back to reality when the guard shook his hand.

“Are you alright Guardian Amos?”

Amos dismissed it with a wave of his hand. “Yes, fine. Just hungry I suppose.”

The guard gave him a tight smile. “The High Counsellor sent you an early deadline, I suppose?”

Amos nodded. “He needed a report on the decline of mineral mining for after lunch. I got the message at about ten.”

The guard suppressed a laugh. “Some counsellors...” He stopped when he saw Navix at the door, smiling lightly. Navix said gently,

“I understand what you’re saying Bicol, but they work hard for the people of Fulda. Although it is terrible that Rebus would give you such a deadline Amos... I will speak to him about letting you off earlier for your trouble.”

Amos was nearly humbled by Navix’s generosity. Many high ranking members of the Commandment would never do that, or even think to do that, but here was Navix offering to speak to a superior to have it happen. Amos could certainly agree with what the counsel thought, Navix’s soft heartedness would lead the Commandment to a new era of loving people who truly did care for the Commandment. Although he knew of the counsel’s one fear, that the people would love Navix, and not the Commandment. But he knew that they were being paranoid. Navix couldn’t harm a fly if he tried. Amos nodded and said,

“Are you ready to meet the counsel, Navix?”

“Yes Amos, I am. Am I to be debriefed beforehand?”

“Unfortunately no. They gave me no explanation to why you were summoned.”

“Ah...” Navix looked troubled. “Either way, Amos, if you’re not too busy, could I ask you a favour?”

Amos was surprised. He knew that Navix usually insisted upon doing things himself, and to not trouble others. Amos could either guess that he would be terribly busy, or was merely being lazy. Either way,

“I’m not busy Navix, so of course you can. May I ask what?”

Navix seemed a little hesitant. “Could I ask you to oversee preparations for the orphanage play? I usually would do it myself, but the Festival of Light still needs work and this meeting has come up abruptly. I also have a good friend of mine coming in...But of course if you’re too busy, I won’t be offended if you decline.”

Amos looked over Navix. He had often overheard Rebus talking about Navix’s poor health, how Navix often put the people of Lapis first, working hard into the night and eating little. It showed. Navix had a pale complexion; his raven hair came down like a talon across his right eye, so only one bright brown eye showed. He was thin, and walked shakily and wore traditional High Commandment white robes that stopped at his knees. He wore fine black slippers and never wore socks, the reason had slipped Amos’s mind. He looked as if he walked by death’s door every moment of his life. Amos was surprised that the Commandment had not stepped in and told Navix to slow down. It was because of this that Amos said,

“Of course Navix, it isn’t a problem.”

Navix beamed. “Thank you Amos. I’ll have Bicol put the script in your study.” They passed a clergy member. Navix lightly tapped him on the shoulder and said, “Excuse me Priest Trihi. If you pass by Bicol by my office, could you ask him to put the orphanage script on High Clergy Guardian Amos’s study? He should know what I mean. But only if it’s not too much trouble.”

Trihi nodded. “Of course Master Navix. I will see to it right after I meet with Father Vatican.”

Navix nodded. “Thank you. I appreciate it.” He turned back to Amos. “We should probably continue. The council must be tired of waiting.”



Rebus tapped his fingers impatiently against the fine oak table. He knew that he should probably sit respectfully like the others, but Amos was taking far too long to fetch Navix to his liking. Although the matter was not urgent, the High Minister of the High Commandment urged that they discuss it as soon as possible. He looked around at the other Counsellors, all were old with faces that looked to be of the dead, with misty white hair that was finely stylized to wrap around the sides of their heads like a halo. Some had sideburns that covered their ears, but otherwise all Counsellor Members looked the same. He wondered how anyone distinguished between all of them.

Suddenly the old oak doors across the room opened, and both Navix and Amos walked in, Amos shuffling off to the side while Navix strode forward and took a seat across from Rebus. Then he said loudly and gently,

“I am here Counsellors. You called for me?”

Rebus stood and nodded. “Yes Ambassador Navix. We have called for you today to send you on an excursion.” Rebus paused to let the words sink in. “I am sure that you know of the unsettling tension between all the cities outside of Lapis. We have affirmed that the reason is because of demons, many people believe that new technology has emerged that allows one to control demons... And that they are being black-marketed across Fulda. From this rumour, tensions have arisen in all the major cities, and we believe that this may lead to war. We also know that there are rumours that taking the gemstone from its respective city will give you control over the city aren’t true, but some cities are blazing trails for territory. It is because of all this, that the High Commandment gave us orders to send an Ambassador. They want us to send an Ambassador of our choice to all the cities in order to explain what’s really happening. They believe that this will help ease out the tensions so that they may call a counsel with all the city leaders in order to work this out. Of course Navix, we have chosen you as our respective Ambassador. You are to travel to every city and town and explain what is really happening and dismiss that the rumours are not true.”

Navix took the job on humbly. “I understand and accept this duty, High Counsellor Rebus. Am I to go alone? Or may I have a party of my choosing?”

Another member of the counsel stood up, Counsellor Horst. He said,

“We will choose your party, Ambassador Navix. It will not be big, no more than four members of the Commandment, including yourself. Rebus has already selected one member.” He motioned to Rebus, who was still standing. He cleared his throat and said,

“I have selected High Clergy Guardian Amos to accompany you.” Rebus eyed Amos, who suddenly straightened up. He was young but highly efficient, having a hidden athletic body that also mysteriously hid his sword that was nearly as long and thick as his lower body. He had electric green eyes, a tanned body and short, spiked black hair with red tips. He didn’t wear traditional Clergy Guardian uniform; he only had thin metal shoulder pads, as well as knee pads that were hidden under baggy cargo pants and some chain mail that he hid under a dark green shirt that was embroidered with the Commandment logo. Rebus was not a complete fan of him, but he was the only High Clergy Guardian in the cathedral at the moment, all the others were retaking safety tests that Amos had completed a few weeks ago. Rebus snapped back to attention when he heard Amos say,

“If I may interject Counsellor Anis, perhaps we should have a member of the Divine Force accompany Navix?”

Rebus came into sudden agreement with Amos. “Yes Amos, it would be wise to have someone who truly knows the way of the battlefield accompany you. But alas, who?”

“May I suggest Alice, a first rank officer? I worked with her when I was an independent demon hunter.”

Rebus nodded. “Yes I have heard of her. I will ask for her presence during this excursion immediately. Amos, can I depend on you to get the message through for me?”

Amos nodded quickly. “Yes you can, Counsellor Rebus. I will depart immediately to fetch Alice. I should be back in a fortnight.” Amos turned on his heel and left, closing the door softly behind him. Rebus turned his attention back to Navix who said softly,

“I know this usually isn’t allowed, but I was wondering if I could call on a member outside the Commandment and the Divine Force.” Navix seemed hesitant.

Rebus nodded. “Go on.”

“He’s not a member of any organization, but he’s a very close friend of mine. I...I’d trust him with my life. Is it alright if I bring him along as the fourth member of the party? He should be here tomorrow beside Pastor Kendrick.”

Rebus considered. “If you trust him with your life, then I can’t see the problem. Of course he may accompany you. Be sure to tell him that you will be leaving in three day’s time.”

Navix beamed. “Thank you Counsellor Rebus. Is there any other matter that you would like to discuss?”

Rebus shook his head. “I do not have the papers needed for our meeting this afternoon, so you may go. Meeting dismissed.”



Amos arrived in the neighbouring city of Topaz by late afternoon. He knew that Alice and her troops were situated in Topaz for a training exercise and finding them would be easy. Alice didn’t care about the citizens of any city, so she made her training exercises wherever she damn well pleased. So Amos wasn’t surprised to find troops in center plaza, running laps and doing push-ups, with Alice sitting on the back of a troop, purring out orders like a kitten mewing for attention. When he approached, she stopped and turned to him.

“Amos! Why don’t you ever visit me?” There was an edge to her voice, like a child wailing for ice cream. “I’ve been ever so lonely with all these dumbbell guards here.” With that, she giggled and whipped on down and said sweetly, “Now that I have your attention, please do a hundred push-ups properly. And please be quick about it!” With a giggle, she whipped him until he did at least one right. Then she turned her attention back to Amos. “Now what brings you here?”

He snorts. “I thought I already told you. You’ve got ten minutes before I leave again.”

“I’ll do it in five.” She jumped off the troop and said innocently, “I’m leaving everyone! Report to General Vice for your new orders and placements. That’s all and don’t be disrespectful while I’m gone. Ta-ta!” With that, she turned on her heel and said to Amos, “Let’s go, we’ve got quite a bit of planning to do for this next journey, right Amos?” She gave him a quick wink and curtsy before she walked a little ahead of him, snapping her whip painfully across the back of their ride.



It was hard to believe that it was already the next day, the afternoon meeting had taken up most of the evening and Navix had fallen asleep the instant his head hit the pillow. Navix waited impatiently at the cathedral’s front steps. He had already assigned Bicol to the orphanage play, since Amos had gone to fetch Alice, the other member of his excursion.

He had only seen Alice in passing, once. When he was an assistant priest, he had once attended a meeting to ask if anyone wanted refreshments. She had been one of the few that had wanted a glass of water. He didn’t remember her otherwise. He knew that she carried a rapier, a thin metal rod attached to an adorned old fashioned sword hilt with red leather. He knew that it bent, which allowed her to effectively whip her enemies into submission, or death. He wasn’t a fan, but he wasn’t often involved with Divine Force work, so he knew better than to interfere.

He snapped back to attention when he saw two figures emerge from the staircase that led up to the cathedral. He tried to hide his disappointment as he saw it was Alice and Amos. Alice had not changed from when he had last seen her. Her face was pale with gold irises and her neck length hair that was cream coloured, and she had short bangs that curved across her forehead. She also wore a hot pink belt on her head with a lacy cream veil with two dangling ribbons that reached her shoulders and looked like long puppy dog ears. Navix knew that it wasn’t part of the uniform, but said nothing. She wore a traditional Divine Force investment officer jacket, except hers was a cream colour and embroidered with a deep pink. She had placed her Divine Force pin where a button was missing at the top and had strapped it down with a blood red belt above her bra, and she had closed the collar of the jacket with a laced necklace with a deep ruby pendant. She had puffed white shoulders and two pink belts on her left arm, and underneath the belt it puffed out again so that her sleeves were open. Her other arm was the same although instead of two belts there was a thick red bracelet. On her hands she wore gloves that were also embroidered with pink and the jacket was also adorned at the edges with pink circles that Navix assumed was where the buttons used to go. Underneath her Officer jacket she wore a frilly laced pink over-shirt that had a cream ribbon tied neatly at her bra line. Underneath that still, she wore a short jumpsuit that only seemed to be cream puffy shorts that were held down by two thin belts right above her knees. Her left foot was covered by a red boot that laced up with a frilly pink ribbon and her right foot was covered by a cream boot that was held together by a red belt. Navix could conclude that she looked somewhat like an ice cream sundae with whipped cream and a cherry on top. She waved and ran up to him with whip in hand and said,

“Ambassador Navix! I remember you when you were an assistant priest. It’s been such a long time. You brought a great glass of water.” Her voice was like honey, but he sensed a hidden danger behind it. He imagined he would discover its origins eventually. He nodded.

“It is nice to meet you again, Officer Alice. I hope our journey will be fruitful and not dangerous.”

“Even if it is, Navix, I wouldn’t worry about a thing. I can take of those monsters just fine.”

“As can I Alice, you forget that I’m a professional Guardian.” Amos had caught up with them quick enough to hear a snippet of their conversation. Navix nodded.

“Yes I hope I can be of assistance in battle. I am a practiced archer and have tried some telekinesis, as well as some holy magic.” Navix knew that holy magic could be done by any member of the Commandment, calling upon the holy mother to cast her purifying light upon demons and corrupt souls, but it made him feel better to know that he would hopefully not get in the way.

“Do you know the other member of the group or will it just be the three of us?” Amos interjected, interrupting his thoughts. Luckily the question didn’t catch Navix off guard.

“There will be another member, Amos. He is a dear friend of mine. We met at the orphanage when we were young.” Navix paused, letting the memories flow through him of the time.

“When will he be here?”

“Very soon. I expect him any moment now.” Navix looked out to the city and distantly saw two figures walking towards the cathedral. He recognized Kendrick’s thin robes immediately. “And there they are now.”

“They?” Alice seemed confused.

“He didn’t come alone. He came with his parental guardian from Emerald.”

Amos whistled. “That’s quite a walk. We only came from Topaz, but that was still a far walk even if it is the closest city to Lapis. I’m going to have to guess that they’ll want to rest a bit.”

“Yes I was meaning to ask you, Amos. Could you see to it that two guest rooms are prepared? Only if it’s not too much trouble...”

“It’s not a problem, Navix.” He snapped his fingers and a guard ran up to him and saluted him. “Go prepare two guest rooms near Ambassador Navix’s quarters. Fetch me when you’re done so that I can inspect it.” He let the guard go with a dismissive wave of his hand. Navix smiled tightly and then turned his attention back to the emerging figures and shouted,

“Pastor Kendrick! Reilly!”



Alice crossed her arms and examined her rapier, a weapon that she kept with her since she was thirteen, when she had first joined the Divine Force. They didn’t have any weapons to give her besides a sword, so she had angrily asked Amos to give her one. As if he had been waiting for the perfect moment, he merely pulled out the rapier from a locker and had given it to her, and it seemed to be made for her. She had never parted with it since. She looked up in alarm when Amos jabbed her with his elbow. She gave him a wink and then looked over the two characters, a tanned priest, she guessed that his rank was no higher than a lowly clergy member, one who helped the High Clergy conduct services and held out the wine. He had pastel white hair that was stringy and short, and an old face worn with crevices and simple gray cotton robes, and a walking stick that Alice guessed was the priest’s rod. She listened to the conversation between Navix and the old man.

“Navix! It’s been years, you’ve certainly grown since I last saw you amble off with Father Watson from the orphanage. How is he?”

“He’s been promoted to the Council. I believe Amos knows a little more than I do.”

Amos took that as his cue. “High Clergy Guardian Amos, Pastor Kendrick. It’s delightful to make your acquaintance. Counsellor Watson is doing just fine, although certainly slower.”

“Ah, thank you Guardian Amos. It’s been years since I last saw him. I do admit that I worry about him.”

Alice almost tuned out the conversation, but the old man said,

“Ah, and you are...?”

She curtsied and said,

“First Officer Alice, Head of Strategies Training of the Divine Force.”

“Ah, I couldn’t be sure. Your uniform is a little different from the rest. Aren’t they usually black or grey?”

“I train troops now, so my uniform is different to show that I can’t be called to the battlefield.” Alice explained patiently. She turned to Navix and said, “Navix, I was just wondering, is Pastor Kendrick the one that will be accompanying us?”

Navix shook his head. “No, Reilly will.” He motioned to the almost shadow that he was seemly talking to, who stepped out of the shadows for the rest of the group to examine. Alice looked him over. He was undeniably smart; something told Alice that, even though he had made no demonstration. He had electric blue eyes and a lightly tanned body. He had bushy and wavy auburn hair, but most of it was covered by a black hat with the shade cap off by his ear. He was wearing a cotton shirt that was light gray, and dark navy suede pants with multiple pockets. He was wearing Divine Force boots, similar to hers except dark green and black and without the small touches she had made. He also had dark brown gloves on that ended at the middle knuckle, and Alice could see a black sheath underneath his shirt, where the grin of a curved dagger shone back at her. She looked back at him and barely heard him as he said,

“And you are...?”

She was about to say Alice, but decided on her full introduction,

“First Officer Alice, Head of Strategies Training of the Divine Force. And you’re Reilly?”

He nodded, before Navix pulled him back into a conversation. “I should tell you, Reilly. We’re going on an ambassador trip in order to ease the tension in the cities. I’ve chosen you as the fourth member of the group.”

He beamed. “Really? When are we going?”

“Two days from now.”

Reilly nodded before turning to Amos. “I’m assuming that you and Alice are coming as well. What are your abilities?”

Alice could tell that the question caught Amos off guard. “What do you mean?”

“Well, on most routes to cities are chock full of monsters and demons. Unless you have another way of dealing them, then we’ll probably have to battle. So what are your battling skills?”

“I use a sword in battle. And if there are a lot of follies, I can sometimes cast...” Both he and Alice knew this was untrue, but raising suspicions wouldn’t be smart with this group. Reilly nodded, seemly accepting it, before turning to Alice and asking the same thing.

“I’m a follist and I can use healing magic. And what about you, Reilly? What can you do?”

Navix spoke for him. “Reilly’s an excellent follist.”

Amos didn’t seem convinced and Reilly blushed. “Well, not really...” Kendrick laughed and said rather brashly,

“Do not be humble Reilly. Your participation in the Folly Tournament proves so.”

Amos took sudden interest. “Oh? Which placement did you get?”

Again, Navix spoke for him. “First!” Navix shoved a hand into one of Reilly’s pockets and produced a gold medal. Alice gasped to herself, recalling her experience in the Folly Tournament. She had barely made it in, and only beat two people out of the respective fifty that she needed to advance in order to make it to the semi finals. And here was a thirteen year old boy, who had beaten the entire thing. It was astounding.

Reilly nodded miserably. Alice could suddenly tell that he didn’t enjoy the attention. Alice looked to Amos, who hadn’t said a word. Reilly seemed to notice.

“Is something wrong Amos? You look troubled.”

Amos froze, but was saved by the guard he had sent earlier for the guest rooms.

“Sir Guardian Amos, the rooms are ready for your inspection.”

Navix jumped in.

“Reilly, Kendrick, you two must be tired. Let’s eat dinner and then retire for the night. After you, Alice.”



Alice chatted nonstop with that eerily sweet voice of hers. She had talked to a number of the Council members, along with many high members of the Commandment. But she didn’t dare talk to Reilly or Navix, the two were chatting on their own in the corner of the table. Amos leaned back in his chair and eyed Reilly. There was something off about him. He seemed like he knew more than he was telling, that he was stronger than he looked and said he was. Amos knew that he couldn’t just walk up to the boy and ask him everything that he needed to confirm, it would be horribly unwise and possibly dangerous to the mission. Having distrust in the team would never work. Amos looked over to Kendrick on his right, who was talking to Counsellor Watson, the details Amos couldn’t hear. He didn’t know if Kendrick would be willing to talk about Reilly, they seemed distant with each other, although Kendrick seemed proud of Reilly. Either way, Amos decided to give it a shot. He tapped Kendrick’s shoulder lightly. The man turned to face him and said,

“Yes Amos?”

“I was wondering, Navix said that he and Reilly met at an orphanage...”

Kendrick smiled. “Yes they did. Navix was originally found at the orphanage’s doorsteps as a baby. Reilly however, didn’t come there until he was five, when I brought him there.”

“Oh? Why so?”

“Originally, when I was on a pilgrimage, I passed through all sorts of places. Sapphire’s Crag was one of them. I found Reilly as a five year old, shivering at its base. I took him to the orphanage when I passed Lapis. He and Navix met there, and I eventually started my journey to become a member of the Commandment by volunteering at the cathedral, where one of my main jobs was to help the needy. I usually came into the orphanage every week to help the frazzled staff. I saw Reilly and Navix every time, and they were inseparable. But that changed when Father Watson or Counsellor Watson now, a dear friend of mine came to the orphanage with me. He adopted Navix and they both live and work at the cathedral now. Eventually, the orphanage closed down and Reilly was thrown to the streets, only nine. I saw him nearly every day, before I was finally allowed on another pilgrimage. I made Reilly my grandson and we traveled until I was finally given the position of a priest in the town of Garnet. A small corrupt town, but I made my living and I suppose that was where Reilly learned the trades of thievery. We started traveling again, and eventually I was promoted to a member of the clergy in the Commandment, and here we are now.”

Amos nodded. “Sapphire’s Crag you say... Isn’t there a forest filled with monsters and bandits just beyond that?”

Kendrick nodded. “Yes. I believe that Reilly was with his parents when monsters and perhaps bandits struck. They must have been killed and Reilly was spared because of his age...And then he must have wandered from there to where I saw him. But that’s my theory. He never told me what happened beforehand.”

“Ah... Did he learn from you?”

“Hm? What about?”

“About being a follist. Entering and placing first in the Folly Tournament is quite a feat... And he’s quite young.”

Kendrick’s expression darkened. “I suppose he started practicing spells in Garnet. I didn’t teach him, I’m no follist. There was a Professor that lived in that town...Professor Lynn. She specialized in folly research. I suppose Reilly somehow learned something from her...But of course, Reilly never told me. This is just an old man speculating. Perhaps you’ll come across her during your travels. I’m certain that she still lives in Garnet.”

Amos nodded and was about to ask more, but Counsellor Rebus at the end of the table stood up and everyone immediately silenced. He said,

“We thank the Sereithina for saving our planet from the demons and blessing us with these cities and towns and beautiful fields. We thank the Heavenly Messenger that sent them, and we humbly accept the task of building the world of Fulda to assure many generations to come. With that, we graciously thank the cooks and chefs that prepared this meal for it will help us make a better tomorrow. And now we dismiss ourselves. Dismissed for after dinner activities. Good night everyone.” He quietly bowed before turning heel back into his quarters. Amos watched him go before turning to Alice. She nodded and he said,

“We need to make extra preparations. He,” He jerked his head towards Reilly, “Didn’t come up in the meeting that I was in.”



Reilly looked around Navix’s room; it was similar to his own, with a double bed and bare walls and a desk with some sparse papers and a bottle of ink. The walls were a rich magenta, adorned with strange painted gold vines that looked almost real as wallpaper could. Navix bounced on his bed and said,

“Well? What do you think?”

Reilly smiled and said,

“I like it. You’ve been living the high life Navix.”

Navix beamed and then saddened. “I feel bad... I left you there all alone with those horrible people. And then you lived in Garnet...” Navix shivered. “Garnet was on my list for a town that I had to visit so that it could improve its commitment to the Commandment... But they took it off after a Divine Force officer died in a gang war...”

Reilly nodded. “It was a pretty sketchy town. But I managed and I did learn some pretty impressive thieving tricks.”

Navix frowned. “I don’t understand how you’re okay with stealing. I’d die of guilt if I tried to steal.”

Reilly considered. “Yeah, but stealing was the only way that I managed to eat, drink and sleep. That’s how I survived after the orphanage closed down. Even when I was with Kendrick, the only way I managed to keep the house was by stealing.” He shrugged. “It’s second nature to me. I even remember when I was younger that I was taught to steal. Obviously not by Kendrick, but still.”

Navix looked surprised. “You remember your parents?”

Reilly shook his head. “I used to remember, but not anymore. Somebody taught me. You have to remember, I wandered around on my own for a good week before Kendrick found me.”

Navix nodded. “That’s true. But I’m glad I met you. I’m glad that Kendrick found you and brought you to the orphanage. And you have a lot of world experience... I think that will be good on our journey to the other cities.”

Reilly’s expression darkened. “I don’t trust the other two.”

Navix was surprised. “Alice and Amos? I don’t see what’s wrong with them...”

Reilly shrugged. “They give off a bad vibe. Like how Alice is hiding something about herself... It’s weird. And Amos is too quiet for my liking.”

Navix sighed. “Well you’ll have to get used to them. They were selected by High Counsellor Rebus, and his decision was final.”

“I don’t like it how we know almost next to nothing about them. Or at least I don’t.” Reilly crossed his arms and leaned against the wall and watched Navix, who sighed.

“All I know is that Amos served as an independent demon hunter before joining the Divine Force and then branching off into the Commandment to serve as a High Clergy Guardian, and that Alice was born and raised in Pentalantis, the fallen city that was seized by demons before she was born. When she was thirteen, she joined the Divine Force, and now she’s a First Officer nine years later...” Navix mused mainly to himself; Reilly took all this information into account and thought hard. He still didn’t really know much about them. Knowing that Alice was raised in Pentalantis was interesting, but he didn’t know much about Pentalantis to begin with. And Amos was frustratingly mysterious. If he would reveal his origins, then it would be a different story, but Reilly got a sinking feeling that he most likely wouldn’t. Unless Reilly specifically questioned him about it, something he wasn’t completely prepared to do. He turned to Navix who had trailed off. Sighing, Navix did what many couldn’t do for Reilly; he knew exactly what he wanted.

“The library is open twenty four seven and history on Pentalantis should be located by section ND34. Ask Ms. Cana, the librarian if you need any more help. And the library is down the hallway through the metal door and the third door on your right.”

Reilly grinned. “Thanks Navix. I owe you one.”

© Copyright 2010 Drif (drifbilim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680752-Void-Idk