*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680754-Void-Part-2
by Drif
Rated: · Other · Action/Adventure · #1680754
This is bad, kay.
“I don’t really get what you mean by that.” Alice looked nervously at Amos, batting her rapier against her hand, unsure. She was sitting on her own bed, with Amos sitting at the chair desk, twirling a pen and sometimes writing down notes. At her comment, Amos rolled his eyes.

“I mean, there’s something that he’s hiding. Quite major. And he may not even know it. Like, I don’t know... Having a disability that you don’t know you have. Mentally, I suppose.”

Alice seemed to suddenly understand. “Oh... But I don’t see the problem in that.”

“It could awaken on the journey and then we’re screwed.” Amos said simply. He was tiring of Alice’s temporary simple-mindedness. He knew that she was usually intelligent; she had grown up beside demons by pretending to be a shape-shifter. He could either commend her or pummel the demons for accepting such an obvious lie. Either way, it hardly mattered. She was a powerful ally. Alice’s expression darkened.

“How in the world would we deal with that?”

“We could kill him.” Amos knew that it was highly unlikely that they could, but he wanted to see her reaction.

“With my monsters, it would be easy. But then we’d still have Navix.”

“I don’t see the problem. He’s a snivelling, sickly, and possibly terrible archer boy. With that in mind, I doubt he could make it back to the Commandment on his own to warn them. Especially...” His stomach growled nosily.

Alice was surprised. “You didn’t eat?”

Amos rolled his eyes again. “You know I don’t eat that shit.”

Her eyes narrowed and became misty. “You said you wouldn’t eat them anymore.”

“My life, my diet.” He stood up abruptly. “Now if you’d excuse me, I’m going to get something to eat. I suggest you go to sleep, Alice.” He turned on his heel and was walking out the door when he heard Alice cry out,

“Only one!”

He snorted and turned his head back to her, meeting her with electric green eyes. “I thought you vowed that you never care for them anymore, Alice. Have times changed since then?” Alice’s lip trembled mercilessly. He knew that he had said the right thing. With a suppressed laugh, he closed the door softly behind him.



“Reilly, how late were you up last night?” Navix asked with concern. Reilly saw Alice looked up from her meal in interest. Reilly merely shrugged, and looked at her from the corner of his eye and said,

“Not late. I got a few hours sleep.”He knew that they knew that he was lying. He hardly got any. Reilly would have been lucky if he got an hour before morning bell rang. Ms. Cana shooed him out at around one at night so that she could sleep and then Reilly had wandered aimlessly through the streets of Lapis, looking for any information on Pentalantis, none at that hour of the night. Even from the books that he had read, the information on Pentalantis was basic. He shook his head and rubbed his temples and said to Navix, “So what do we do today? Anything? Rest perhaps?”

Alice answered in that honey voice of hers.

“What any soldier would do. We’ll have to gear up and plot our course, of course.”

Reilly nodded. “Do we need a map? I know my way around Fulda, but if we need to take detours, I won’t be able to help...”

Alice cocked her head. “How? Have you traveled a lot?”

“Yes. Pastor Kendrick and I often went on pilgrimages. And I suppose I was naturally good with maps and such.”

Navix rolled his eyes. “I swear he used to be a map and a compass in his past life. He never gets lost.”

Reilly gave him a slow smile. “You’re just directionally challenged and jealous. I’m not that good...”

Navix raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. He respected Reilly’s wishes that he say nothing more about him. But Reilly knew that it troubled Navix greatly to know that there would probably be an uncanny amount of suspicion in the group, one that Reilly hoped would be necessary, especially concerning Alice and Amos. He knew that they were trying to figure him out too, something that he would allow them to skim through, but he would have to pull them out if they got to deep. He didn’t know what would happen, but he knew it wouldn’t be good. He was certainly glad that Pastor Kendrick was gullible to his makeshift stories of his distant past, or simply didn’t pry. It was true that he didn’t remember much, only forestry and giant winged lizards, along with golden crags, but he knew that they were nothing more than dreams and images of childish imagination.

Reilly ate quickly and suddenly. His stomach growled ravenously, and he knew that he would need all of his strength for the trip. Although the beef soup that the Commandment served daily was disgusting, with moults of concentrated salt that tasted strangely bitter when he sucked on them. He also wasn’t a fan of carrots, a vegetable that popped up frequently in the broth. But he was suddenly so hungry that he didn’t even care if he accidentally shovelled in the carrots. He stopped when he saw Counsellor Rebus stand up, clear his throat and say,

“We live in a blessed prosperous world. We are allowed to eat whenever we wish, think if we need to, and solve problems easily and without violence. We are humble, we realize the dangers of this beautiful world and we protect ourselves and the people. Thank the Sereithina that we live the way we do. Hymen.”

“Hymen.” Everyone else muttered, before scooting out of their seats and kneeling on the floor to do a quick prayer, “Mother, daughter, soul and blessing.” While crossing their right hand across the left shoulder. Everyone stood and then Rebus finished breakfast with, “Dismissed for morning duties. The excursion group please meet with me immediately in my chambers.”

Reilly wasn’t surprised. He had barely met the old man and he knew that the man was nervous because of Reilly’s small composition. He looked to Navix, who said quietly,

“I don’t think he’s worried because of you. He’s worried because of the...” He jerked his head towards an adorned quartz crystal that sat placidly on the back of the altar, gleaming in the pale sunlight.

“I’ll meet with him about that after.” Reilly said, smiling. He knew that was he had suggested to Navix was risky, but when Navix had mentioned the afternoon meeting and its contents, Reilly had only thought of the advantages, and knew that Navix couldn’t deny them, which he didn’t. They both nodded and Reilly caught a glimpse of Amos watching them, but Reilly gave him no indication to what they were talking about. He and Navix walked briskly to Counsellor Rebus’s chambers, right in step behind Counsellor Rebus himself, who either didn’t notice their presence or didn’t care. They entered with him and took the two chairs that were available in front of Counsellor Rebus’s chambers and waited patiently for Amos and Alice to join them. Counsellor Rebus ignored them, he merely worked on a report of a subject that neither Reilly nor Navix knew, until Amos and Alice walked in, having finished a quieted conservation before walking in. All Reilly saw was Alice slapping Amos harshly with her rapier, before jerking her head towards Reilly and Navix. Amos merely nodded, before joining Alice on either side of Navix’s chair and clearing his throat. Counsellor Rebus looked up, clearly startled, but he composed himself quickly, clearing his own throat, and said,

“Thank you for coming. I trust that today you will be shopping for your supplies?”

Alice took command and said in a highly professional voice, “Yes, Counsellor Rebus. Amos and I were up late last night preparing a list of suggested supplies for Master Navix and Sir Reilly.”

Amos half-snorted and half-laughed at her sudden command before saying, “Alice and I intend to shop for canned goods while leaving Reilly and Navix to traveling essentials. Can I trust that you won’t prepare horses for tomorrow?”

Counsellor Rebus shook his head. “I apologize deeply, Master Navix, Sir Reilly, Officer Alice and Guardian Amos. The horses are prepared for first Officers of the Divine Force to send them to Cobalt to cross into the Crystalline Mine...”

Navix nodded. “That is alright. Let the guards have it. Their trip is much more perilous than ours...” Reilly nodded, the Crystalline Mine was treacherous, filled with dangerous monsters and never-ending tunnels and passageways that were blacker than coal. Reilly suspected that the Divine Force thought that there was a demonic portal down there, which would explain the vast amount of monsters and recent demon outbreaks. Reilly almost wondered why Alice hadn’t been called to the battlefield, but then he remembered that Alice trained troops and couldn’t be called to the battlefield. He snapped back to attention when he heard,

“Thank you for your understanding, Ambassador Navix. I hope your travels will be safe and blessed by the Sereithina. Dismissed.”

Reilly waited until Alice and Amos left. He looked to Navix, who nodded and said to Counsellor Rebus quietly,

“Counsellor Rebus, concerning the issue that we discussed last afternoon, Reilly and I have a suggestion that will keep the gemstones safe.”

Counsellor Rebus looked up suddenly, his gray eyes bore into Reilly’s electric blue ones as he said, “Go on.”



Navix breathed deeply and straightened the papers on his desk before he prepared to leave with Reilly to shop for supplies. He was surprised that High Counsellor Rebus had actually gone for the idea, and everything had gone as Reilly predicted. He even gave them a waver that would allow them access to such areas, and he knew with certainty that Amos and Alice had to be kept in the dark. Reilly had insisted and now Rebus forbad that they tell them. Navix didn’t mind, less explaining, but he wondered how they would keep them from finding out, especially when they would always be around, although Navix knew that he would find an excuse before they reached Topaz and he knew that Reilly would find a place to hide them.

Navix wiped the beads of cold sweat on his sleeve, his breathing was suddenly ragged, and his chest tightened. His head spun and flushed. His pulse raced. Dark purple spots blotted out his vision. He held the desk for support and closed his eyes, waiting for the dizzy spell to pass. When it finally did, he thought about Counsellor Rebus’s parting words, “If you push yourself too hard Navix, the people will suffer alongside you.”

He knew that the Counsellor worried about his deteriorating health, the frequent dizzy spells, and the near death experience with the influenza that had struck more than half the population of Lapis with its fury. No one had died, and no one had come as close to death as Navix had. He could still recall the battle that had left him weak for ages, the twisting and moaning at the most awful hours of the night, being as hot as an oven and being as cold as if hell had frozen over. Many members of the Commandment didn’t think he would make it, the healers had tried with all their might, but he simply continued to worsen. And then as suddenly as he had become to death, he was pulled out of it. He became better in days, before he was allowed to walk the streets again. The Commandment was baffled, and then later ruled interference by a Sereith. Navix couldn’t say that he completely agreed with it, but he let the Commandment have their fun.

Navix turned to the sound of Bicol opening his door. He said politely,

“Yes Bicol?”

“Sir Reilly, Lady Alice and Guardian Amos await your arrival at the front of the cathedral, Master Navix.”

Navix nodded. “Thank you Bicol. Please tell them that I will be down there momentarily.” Navix turned his attention back to his desk, fetching his wallet and walking shoes before sliding his papers back into his desk and locking it with a key. He then turned on his heel and walked out of his chambers. He bid Bicol farewell and walked steadily down the strangely empty royal red hall down to a set of stairs where mumbled chatter was constant. Navix did his best to ignore it as he walked down the stairs, and he shuffled through the main hall quickly, trying to not interrupt the service that Pastor Kendrick and Father Vatican were conducting. He did a quick prayer and then quietly slipped out the cathedral doors, closing them softly behind him

As he turned around, he sucked in the air around him deeply and looked out at the vibrant city. He heard the cries of selling merchants, the chatter of the noble, and the loud clacking of Divine Force guards and local guards conversing. He spotted Reilly and the others relatively quickly; they were sitting on the rims of the angel statue located right outside of the cathedral, staring out at the people around them. Navix smiled and walked confidentially towards them. Amos and Reilly looked up as he approached and Amos said carefully,

“We’ve decided that you and Alice should get the food, while Reilly and I, being more experienced with travel, should get the traveling essentials. Is that alright?” Navix looked to Reilly, who almost seemed to be begging him with his eyes to say no. But Navix knew that Amos would ask why, and Navix didn’t have an answer prepared. Navix nodded and said,

“Yes. That is fine with me. Alice, shall we?”

Alice curtsied and said in that honey voice of hers,

“Of course, Master Navix.”



Reilly watched as Navix walked off with Alice into the food sector of the trade plaza, before feeling an unfamiliar hand rest on his shoulder. Reilly knew it was Amos, but his hand rested suddenly on his dagger, and it took much of his willpower before he could safely turn around without dagger in hand. He met Amos with a stare, something that Amos returned uncomfortably with a smile. Reilly nodded and said,

“Is Alice good at traveling?”

Amos considered. “Not usually. She usually travels via horse,” Reilly saw a smidgeon of a smile appear, “But since we don’t have a horse, I don’t think she will be.”

“Then we should pack like amateurs?” Reilly asked smugly. Amos looked at him dangerously.

“Pack carefully. Two pans and a pot for food, two big packs for Lady Alice and Ambassador Navix, and two small ones for us, three sleeping packs, six matchboxes, flint, and thirteen canteens of water. That should do well.”

Reilly crossed his arms. “Thirteen canteens of water?”

Amos shrugged. “The canteens also carry our bathing and cooking water. And Ambassador Navix may have a dizzy spell.”

Reilly was tempted to roll his eyes. “Fine. I’ll get the matchboxes, flint, sleeping packs and you get the rest.”

Amos raised an eyebrow. “Choosing the items to pickpocket are you?” When Reilly’s expression didn’t change, he chuckled. “It doesn’t matter. I won’t report you. Just don’t get caught.” With that, he turned on his heel and walked into the travel sector of the trade plaza and Reilly scowled. He wasn’t sure how Amos knew that he was a pickpocket, but he let it rest. Bringing up a topic like that in the busiest trade plaza wouldn’t be smart. He set out to the trade plaza without a second thought.

It wasn’t until an hour later that Reilly finally saw Amos lugging everything with him. He helped him tug everything into the cathedral, as he had done with his own things, putting them in a neat pile by the altar. After they had finished and were sitting on the altar, Amos said quietly,

“Has Lady Alice and Ambassador Navix come back yet?”

Reilly looked at him suddenly and said,

“Why do you call Alice, Lady Alice? Is she of nobility? Wouldn’t Officer Alice be more appropriate?”

Amos seemed hesitant, but said,

“She was raised in Pentalantis, which was a city of nobility. I can merely guess that she prefers it over Officer.”

“You could just call her Alice.”

“I am a High Clergy Guardian; people expect some degree of respect from me. I call people by their titles, just as I would call you Sir Reilly.”

Reilly flinched. “Don’t call me that.” He could tell that Amos was about to ask why, but Alice called out for their help with the food bags. They had no choice but to go to her aid. Navix was heaving a slightly bigger bag, having insisted that Alice take the smaller one. Reilly frowned in disapproval, but said nothing. Once they had helped Alice and Navix bring everything to the altar, Alice insisted that Navix and Amos pack the bags, while she and Reilly charted the course. Reilly almost groaned but he knew better. He suspected that Alice would whip him without hesitation if he weren’t in front of Navix, the reason he would never know. He turned to Alice and said quietly,

“Should we go to your quarters? Or mine?”

She shook her head. “Let’s go to the Map room near Counsellor Horst’s chambers. That way, we have unlimited access to whatever map we want, and we can even take one if we want.” Alice looked at him carefully, waiting for a response. She got none. They walked in silence; Reilly could hear her batting her rapier against her palm, clearly in thought. He took a shot and said,

“What’s wrong?”

She looked at him carefully and said,

“Oh nothing. I was just trying to brainstorm a good route for our trip, but it might be hard because of the Mihas range...”She grabbed a map from a counter and then spread it out on a nearby table, and pointed her rapier at where the Mihas range was.

Reilly nodded. The Mihas range was a large range of mountains, although they were fully explored, no one traveling would go near them, they had taken the lives of many explorers, and avalanches were frequent. He knew that they would be challenging to Navix, who was in poor health. However, traveling through them was the only way one could access Diamond and a few other cities, like Turquoise. After pondering this over for a few moments, he said,

“We may be forced to. There’s no other way into Diamond, since it’s completely surrounded by the Mihas.”

Alice considered. “But we don’t know if Navix will be well enough to go into Mihas. He is quite sickly, as I’m sure you know.”

“But we also have no choice. Diamond is the capital city of Hors, and they would be furious if the Commandment left them out for whatever reason.”

Alice nodded, pushed herself up onto the table across from the map and said,

“Then Navix will need to bring winter clothes. Because he’ll catch a cold in a nanosecond.”

Reilly slumped into his chair at dinner, rubbing his eyes wearily. Mapping their route with Alice was more tiresome than he imagined. He’d suggest one route and then she would find a reason to disregard it. She had a ton of excuses, battlefield training, a demonic portal and safety hazards. And then frustratingly, when he asked her for a route, she didn’t know one without a hazard of some sort. Reilly looked pensively at the dinner served, ground demon meat with moulted gravy and carrots. Reilly wrinkled his nose and dug in reluctantly. Navix looked at him and said,

“If it helps, the moults in the gravy don’t taste bad.” Navix shovelled in a piece of meat covered in gravy to prove his point. Reilly scowled and decided that he had no choice. He needed his strength for later, since he could tell that Navix and Alice hadn’t brought a lot of food. He assumed that they were either short on money or knew that they won’t have enough room to pack it. He was halfway through his meat when Counsellor Rebus stood up to make his nightly wishes and announcements.

“We live in a blessed prosperous world. We are allowed to eat whenever we wish, think if we need to, and solve problems easily and without violence. We are humble, we realize the dangers of this beautiful world and we protect ourselves and the people. Thank the Sereithina that we live the way we do. Hymen.”

Everyone muttered Hymen too, before doing a light prayer, “Mother, daughter, soul and blessing.” Reilly was slowly getting sick of that prayer, but he paid it no mind. Unless they came across a pilgrimage, it was unlikely that he would ever hear it again, even if he did come back to Lapis since he would probably get his meals elsewhere and would only visit the cathedral on the rare occasion that he visited Navix. He glanced back to Counsellor Rebus, who to his surprise, was still talking,

“Tomorrow we bid farewell to a few members of the Commandment, Ambassador Navix and his group will be traveling a perilous journey around Fulda in order to halt the rumours. Tonight we start the Festival of Light, the holy week of remembrance. We fast tomorrow and feast the next. Dismissed to the service hall.”

Everyone stood up and started to move towards the service hall, and as they did, Reilly whispered to Navix,

“The Festival of Light?”

Navix almost looked surprised. “The Festival of Light is a holiday that was made by the Commandment to remember the fallen souls that fought against the demons during the dark times of Fulda. I guess you haven’t heard of it because of how often you move around...But I’m surprised Pastor Kendrick never celebrated it.”

Reilly shook his head. “He probably did on his own, in Garnet. He knew how I didn’t really get it and found it boring.”

Navix nodded. “I didn’t really get the Festival of Light when Counsellor Watson first adopted me either. But it’s been seven years since then, and I suppose times have changed.”

Reilly nodded and sat down quietly in the pew, and faced Counsellor Rebus, who was standing on the altar, muttering and kneeling to the pale quartz crystal that sat placidly. Reilly listened hard to hear his mutterings, but he only barely made out,

“Holy mother, place your blessing upon this act...Grant us the light to guide Fulda...Bring its brilliance to the crystal...” As soon as Counsellor Rebus stood up, bowed and turned to face the service, the quartz seemingly exploded with light, and lit up the service hall, and made Counsellor Rebus look like nothing more than a fading shadow against the harsh light. Reilly shielded his eyes from the blinding light, and he could distantly hear Counsellor Rebus talking,

“We honour the holy mother. She is the one who brought the Sereithina during our darkest hour. We bow to the Sereithina who saved Fulda from a horrible death and fate, and we humbly accept the duty charged to us to build Fulda into the masterpiece world that it is destined to be. We pray that Mlima Lake will never be found, both by demon and human eye alike. Let it protect us in peace. Hymen.”

“Hymen.” Everyone else muttered, finally looking up as the light from the quartz died. Soon, the light from the torches hanging from above and from columns was the only light source in the service hall. Counsellor Rebus continued,

“The light that transcends through sky, earth and flame; we are gracious for your help. Many lives were taken to keep Fulda from falling. Your kindness led the Sereithina here, and although they have seemingly disappeared from Fulda, they saved us, and we are in their debt. Holy mother bless the Sereithina. Hymen.”

“Hymen.” Everyone else repeated before Counsellor Rebus called upon the children for the play, something that dragged on into the night. The founder of the Commandment, Royale Counsellor Magdur begged that a divine force save Fulda, sky could take his soul in exchange. The Holy mother came to his aid, appearing as a golden maiden with a sceptre filled with all the gemstones. She raised her sceptre in the air and a shaft of light shot into the air, calling the Sereithina with a distress signal. They came and created the barrier with the holy mother and banished the demons, although the spell went south and demons were able to come through portals that formed with every demon sacrifice or disaster. The Sereithina worked with the Divine Force to purge Fulda of demons, before the holy mother transformed herself into a lake and created a guardian, and had the Sereithina create a holy land with protectors. Then, the Sereithina disappeared, never to be seen again. The lake and the holy land were never found. Reilly had memorized the story from Pastor Kendrick, who often repeated it in the slow hours of the night, mumbling it in his sleep.

He yawned under the cover of his hand, and clapped numbly when the play was finally over. Finally Counsellor Rebus dismissed them, reminding them of the fasting. Reilly was glad to know that he and Navix would not have to participate in it. Afterwards, he and Navix talked about the trip into the long hours of the night, before Reilly could stand no more and went to bed. The entire evening was blurred. He decided to visit Pastor Kendrick before he went to bed, he knew that Kendrick would be conducting services in the morning and would not be able to bid him farewell. He slipped quietly into Kendrick’s room, where the man was quietly writing up a report. Reilly moved so stealthily that he had to tap Kendrick on the shoulder for him to notice him. The old man turned around in alarm, but relaxed when he saw it was Reilly.

“Reilly, it is a pleasure to see you. Ambassador Navix told you of my services?”

“Yeah, he said you wouldn’t be free in the morning, so I thought I’d say goodbye now.” Reilly studied Kendrick. He was frail and old, somewhat gullible and annoying at times, but Reilly could admit to himself that Kendrick had certainly saved him from a worse life. They had been through some rough times where Kendrick had hardly noticed Reilly, who had resented him at the time. But the man was so pitiful that Reilly could never hold it. There was an uncomfortable silence as they both collected their thoughts. Finally, Kendrick cleared his throat.

“Reilly...I know that we’ve been through some tough times, where I’ve ignored you and I can tell that you probably hated me…And I don’t want you to leave Lapis thinking that I don’t care about you.” He placed a tender hand on Reilly’s shoulder and said softly, “The holy mother may not have blessed me in the ways of the cathedral, but she certainly blessed me with you. Sky only knows, but I feel that even after Navix has traveled to all the cities, that you will not travel back to Lapis immediately. I even feel that I will only see you rarely. Reilly, when I saw you under Sapphire’s Crag, I knew you were special. Although you may not always show it, you are kind. You are brave, and capable of many things. Never forget that.” His hand fell from Reilly’s shoulder and he continued, “You took care of me, even though a parent should take care of the child. You did not ask for anything when you knew I was in pain. I will always be grateful for that.” His hand slipped into a robe pocket and he fished out a small black pouch and said, “I know that this will never repay you for all you have done, but I hope they will be of assistance.” He handed the pouch to Reilly and said, “These are smoke pills. If you throw them at something with body heat, then they will explode and release a plume of smoke. They’re useful when you’re trying to escape from something, but I do hope you won’t use them to escape the guards when you thieving. There are only ten. I’m sorry I couldn’t find anymore.”

Reilly found the strength to numbly nod. He knew smoke pills were rare; merchants only sold them on the road. You could never find any in Lapis or Emerald. He clutched them tightly and said,

“Thank you. You may not be my parents, but I can call you my guardian, or grandfather.”

Kendrick’s eyes started to water, and he put a firm hand on Reilly’s shoulder again. “Thank you, Reilly. Please do be safe.”



Amos and Reilly sat placidly on the stairs to the cathedral. It was barely dawn; they had to get up early in order to eat, since everyone else in the cathedral was fasting for the Festival of Light. Reilly was an early riser in his own right, so he had planned to take the time in the morning to think through the entire journey, but Amos had surprised him by sitting contently at the cathedral’s steps, staring out at Mt. Albion on the horizon, which was smoking like a chimney. Reilly sensed that Lapis would likely get hit by warm rain, he hoped that the lapis lazuli columns were stocked full of heat. Amos muttered,

“Albion is angry...I wonder what I did...”

“Excuse me?” Reilly said stiffly. There was something the way that Amos said it that made

Reilly uneasy. Amos turned to him in alarm and barely managed to keep his voice even. “Reilly! ...Sorry. Just muttering to myself. I’m barely awake.”

Reilly plopped down beside him. “I didn’t know that Mt. Albion got angry at anyone.”

Amos shook his head. “Volcanoes have been around for longer than the oldest creatures. Because of that, some of them develop sentience if their land is disturbed...Albion becomes angry easily. It’s usually when someone does something wrong to preserve the environment or when its insulted or someone uses it to curse someone else...”

“You do know that Albion in Ancient texts is Demon?” Reilly said coldly.

There was a pause before Amos let out a small gale of cold laughter. Reilly shivered inwardly. He looked at Reilly with harsh green eyes and said somewhat loudly, “I should squash those suspicions of yours before they even start. I’m not a demon. As a High Clergy Guardian, I had to drink the holy water. That would burn any demon like lapis lazuli, would it not?”

Reilly was pensive. He knew that Amos was saying was true, so he decided to save himself and said,

“I wasn’t saying that you were a demon. Just wondering why Mt. Albion would care what a human did.”

“Ah...But Mt. Albion is a banisher of demons and a protector of humans. It’s called Mt. Albion because independent demon hunters would toss the carcasses of dead demons into its mouth, including myself.”

“It must have been a drag to drag them up to its mouth.” Reilly said dryly.

“Indeed. But many travelers fret when they see demon carcasses lying around. And there was no other way to dispose of them, since they don’t rot and no animal would dare eat them.”

“Cursed?”

“Possessed. The demon meat we eat is bathed in holy water, which eradicates the demon spirit, sending it back to the demonic dimension.” Amos said this somewhat spitefully.

Reilly was about to ask what he meant, but Alice and Navix finally walked out of the cathedral and they were on their way to Topaz before he could think anymore.

It was raining like Reilly thought it would. The path was soggy and pulled at their shoes, making the already hard walk harder. They had to go slow because Alice and Navix weren’t big travelers and had large packs on and Reilly and Amos would have to stop every so often and pull either Navix or Alice out of the sagging mud. Reilly had no idea what had possessed Alice to decide that this route was faster than the well worn one through a semi-large grove. Even Amos commented on it.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I would have thought that the route through that grove would have been a bit more suitable for travel.” Reilly could only agree, he cursed his impatience. He supposed that if he had been more patient, they would have gone through an easier route. Either way, he hoped that they would make it to Topaz by nightfall; he knew that Topaz was located on top of an elevated plateau for a reason; monsters were particularly vicious at night. He knew that even though they were armed, they wouldn’t stand a chance. Luckily for them, it was barely midday, but Reilly had no idea where they were. Topaz was located in mid-desert and so far it had been nothing but somewhat rocky plains as they scurried away from Mt. Albion. The landscape around them was somewhat barren around them, the trees that populated the rich soil was now replaced with yellow dust, slowly turning into the edge of the Dorian Desert. Reilly sensed that the rain would soon turn into billowing sandstorms by morning. He hoped that they could get extra supplies to prepare for that when they got to Topaz.

They reached Topaz just a little after nightfall, joining the line up of people who had carelessly waited a bit too long before returning to Topaz. Reilly looked up at the city, suddenly feeling helplessly small under the sheer size of the cliff, where the plateau was located on top. Topaz was located just on the plateau right by the edge of the cliff, with an elevator that had been drilled into the face of the cliff so that Topaz was given extra protection against invaders. Reilly supposed that Topaz was the kind of city that got attacked often, due to its importance to the Divine Force. But he imagined that any kind of attack usually didn’t go over well for the demons. He could see the edge of the city; it was surrounded by a pointy black fence, where if Reilly looked hard enough, he could see the glimmer of polished cannons, probably loaded to the gills with opal gemstones, which were generally effective against demons. Topaz had enough reinforcements in their city that it seemed like the city was expecting an attack at any moment. He was about to ask why, but they had reached the entrance. He knew that they had to announce their titles. He just said Reilly, but that seemed to suffice for the guard. Then Navix went,

“Ambassador Navix, from the Commandment of Lapis.”

The guard visibly flinched and said somewhat awkwardly, “These three are the last for tonight.” He motioned to Reilly, Amos and Alice. Navix looked suddenly stunned. Alice said politely,

“Excuse me, but he’s with us. We’re staying at the church in your city, so he must come. You understand, don’t you?” Reilly sensed an edge to her voice.

The guard sighed. “Officer Alice, with all due respect—Sir Navix isn’t allowed in this city. It’s not safe—for him.”

“We’ll take our chances. Let him in or the Divine Force will pull its troops out of Topaz.”

This seemed to straighten him out. “Yes madam. Right away.” He motioned for Navix to get on the elevator and then closed the door behind him. The trip up in the elevator was silent. Nobody said a word, not until they were safe on the streets. It was then that Navix said quietly and sadly,

“I apologize. I had forgotten that Topaz does not trust the Commandment or its ideals... We may not get warm welcomes or services if I am around. It is at least fortunate that they have a small church for us to stay...”

Reilly put a careful hand on Navix’s shoulder. “It’s okay. Don’t worry about it. At least they didn’t make you camp out of the city...”

Navix nodded sullenly before facing Alice, nodding and said in the best solemn voice he could muster, “Thank you. If it hadn’t been for you, I would not be here now.”

Alice winked. “Think nothing of it, Ambassador Navix. Tomorrow when you meet with the militia leaders of Topaz, and that’s when you can thank me.”

The church was empty when they first came in, but they found their rooms quick enough, having a quick bowl of ramen before practically dropping into their beds in spare rooms. Reilly and Navix had planned to discuss the current day before going to bed, but Reilly was too exhausted to do even that. He barely bid the other goodnight before dropping into his bed and falling asleep instantly. He had a strange dream, he could see dark crags surrounding him, and the sky above him was dark red, the colour of blood. He could hear a deep crackling sound, and faint yells. He felt like the world was collapsing down on him. He woke up startled, his hands were clammy and his body was trembling. He deemed that the nightmare had come from the rooms, which were damp and disgusting, and the beds felt like wool and were horribly itchy. But they knew that they had no choice. No other hotel in Topaz would take them.

© Copyright 2010 Drif (drifbilim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1680754-Void-Part-2