*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681753-The-Road-to-Forever
by Kackie
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1681753
His wife was missing and a dead body was in his house.
My unfinished story...



The Road to Forever

It was late one night, when I strolled down a deserted road that seemed to go on forever. It was a narrow road and looked like it hadn’t been traveled much. As I walked, millions of thoughts ran through my head; of what had happened last night to change my life so drastically.

                                *************************************************************************************

I had been working over time, when the boss came to me and said I was wanted on the phone. I had talked to Beth earlier in the day, and everything was fine then, so I wondered why is she calling me now? I always called her every day, on my lunch hour, knowing full well that she would never attempt calling me. She had told me once,  she would never call me at work, and have the risk of me losing my job, so I did the calling when I had free time.

Seeing my concerned look on my face, the boss said he would leave me alone with my phone call, which I gladly thanked him. One thing I hate is people knowing my business, and he being my boss, made him no acceptation. I was a little apprehensive in picking up the phone, still wondering what could be bothering Beth, for her to call, when I would be coming home shortly. “ Hi honey, how’s it going?” I asked, feeling guilty for the concern in my voice.

“Mr. Marshall?” The voice asked, on the other end of the phone, one that I didn’t recognize. “This is Sgt. Jenkins, of the County Sheriffs department.”  “Yes, sir, what can I do for you?” I replied questioningly, wondering what the hell this could be about. “We need you to come down to the County Morgue to view and ID a dead body“. “Can you come as soon as possible, Mr. Marshall?” “What is this all about Sgt.”? I asked, starting to shake a little. I had never seen a dead body before, and a sudden chill came over me. “Has something happened to my wife, Sgt.”, I asked feeling the rush of blood pumping in my temples. “What happened, how”?

“Now hold on Mr. Marshall, you just come on down here to the morgue, and we can get everything sorted out when you get here. ”Sgt Jenkins replied, then told me how to get to the County morgue, then rather bluntly hung up.
I just stood there shaking; my heart was thumping hard in my chest. Could something have happened to Beth, I needed to call the house. Please answer the phone Beth, I need you to be there, oh God; I slumped down in the chair, when I realized the phone had rung 5, 6, 7 times. I finally hung up and went to find my boss to tell him I had to leave.

The morgue looked exactly the way it should; dismal, and a place no one would ever want to visit. I was met by a tall, rather heavy set man who held out his hand and asked, Mr. Marshall?” “I am Sgt. Jenkins, I spoke with you on the phone.” “Would you come this way, with me please”? I did not want to be here and if Beth was, I didn’t want her here either.


word count:547
© Copyright 2010 Kackie (kackie3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1681753-The-Road-to-Forever