*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683418-The-Creature-in-the-Woods
Rated: ASR · Other · Contest Entry · #1683418
There is a creature that lives in the woods. Once you enter will you come out?
"Sara, Mrs. Pinson is sick and I was hoping you would not mind taking this food down to her," I heard my mother say from the living room. I rolled my eyes at the thought. That was not my plan of a fun Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Pinson was an aging old bitty who smelled like a mixture between peppermint and mothballs. She possessed talents such as of pinching your cheeks to the point of bruising and serving rotten food to guests.

I groaned and began to protest, "Mom it's Saturday. I have had such a long week at school. I just want to relax." My mom entered the kitchen where I was sitting attempting to enjoy my fruitloops.

"Sara I was not asking. If you want to be able to go out tonight or tomorrow you will take this care package to Mrs. Pinson." I heaved a sigh of irritation. My mother simply stared at me with a disapproving look.

"Fine. I will go."

"Why don't you invite Aubrey to go with you?" Aubrey was my best friend who lived nearby. Well as nearby as anyone could possible live. I live out in the boondocks where it is at least a good quarter mile walk to the "next door" neighbor's house. Yet, the idea of having company while walking to Mrs. Pinson's house did sound very appealing. I quickly called Aubrey and asked her to meet me at my house. She agreed.

"So what exactly are we doing?" Aubrey asked as we walked down the dirt road heading towards Mrs. Pinson's.

"My mom wants me to take this care package to Mrs. Pinson because she is sick." Aubrey's facial expression suddenly changed.

"Wait...don't we have to go through the woods to get through her house?" Aubrey's tone was filled with fear.

"Yea Aubs, but it is no big deal," I grabbed her arm to propel her forward.

"Sara don't you know about Billy Thompson?"

"Billy who? What are you talking about Aubrey?"

"Billy Thompson is a boy that used to live in this neighborhood about 20 years ago. He ventured into those same woods and he was attacked by the creature that lives in there. He was never seen again, but people heard screams and snarling the night he disappeared." Aubrey was visibly shaking as I burst out laughing.

"Aubrey come on. You don't believe that!" Aubrey nodded solemnly, avoiding my gaze. "Aubs you are a very silly girl. Look we won't be that long and I promise I will protect you from the scary creature."

"Sara I don't want you to go alone so I am going to come with you, but seriously let's get out of her house before it gets dark."

"Aubs trust me that is the first thing on my mind is getting out of Mrs. Pinson's house."

The woods seemed very pleasant and I could smell the fresh pine needles. Aubrey and I followed the path that I knew all to well leading to Mrs. Pinson's house. I could see the sun peaking through the top of the trees. It really was a pleasant Saturday afternoon even though I was doing something that was far from what I wanted to do. I was lost in thought when I heard a rustling in the bushes.

Aubrey gasped and as I turned I could see a streak of black fur lunge out from behind a tree and pounce on Aubrey. The creature! Aubrey and I both screamed bloody murder. The creature knocked Aubrey off her feet and began mauling her I heard Aubrey shriek as I attempted to devise a plan. That is when I realized that Aubrey was laughing. As my mind came back to reality I realized what the creature was. Aubrey's German Shepard Duchess was on top of her mauling her with kisses. I joined Aubrey in laughing and pulled her back up to her feet.

"Duchess you are a naughty dog, but I am very happy to see you," Aubrey cooed.

"I am concurring with Aubrey on this one Duchess." We both knelt down to give Duchess some necessary pets and scratches before continuing our journey.

"Oh you sweet dearies!" Mrs. Pinson opened her door and the smell immediately hit my nose. Mmmmmm mothballs and peppermint. "Come in come in. You are so sweet bringing a sick old lady goodies. Bring your dog in too." Duchess even seemed apprehensive to venture in. "I have some good news for you," Mrs. Pinson said barely able to contain her excitement, "I have cookies!" God help us.

The next three hours were spent sitting in Mrs. Pinson's living room listening to her discuss her latest back injury. Aubrey and I both attempted to swallow the rancid cookies, as we smiled and nodded politely. Whenever Mrs. Pinson was not looking I would spit the cookies out into my napkin. Aubrey attempted to feed her cookies to Duchess, but Duchess was too smart a dog to touch those cookies. My mind began to wander as I contemplated the story of Billy Thompson and I watched the minutes ticking by. I could see the sky begin to darken outside the window. I could feel myself getting anxious. Why was I feeling anxious? I didn't believe that story about Billy Thompson or the creature in the woods. At least I was pretty sure I didn't. Whatever the case I did want to leave Mrs. Pinson's before it got dark.

"Thanks for coming dearies," Mrs. Pinson crooned.

"No problem Mrs. Pinson," I replied while masking my irritation.

"I hope you sweeties come to visit again real soon. How I love visitors, especially sweet young ladies like you two," said Mrs. Pinson. Aubrey and I both gave her a smile and a hug. I made sure I got a good deep breath in before going in for the hug. The less I had to breath in of her stench the better. We said our goodbyes and Mrs. Pinson closed the door. Aubrey and I waited until we were far enough away from Mrs. Pinson's house before beginning to talk.

"Sara you said we would be out of there before dark!"

"I know I did Aubrey. I am sorry. I just don't know how to cut that old lady off when she is going on and on with her stories."

"I just want to get home."

"I know me too."

When Aubrey and I got into the woods it was a much different feeling than I had ever felt. I had never been in there when it was dark. The shadows of trees created shapes that gave me the creeps. Aubrey and I clung to each other as we both scanned the woods for any lurking creatures. I was very relieved that Duchess was with us at that point in time. I heard an an owl hoot in the distance. Chills went up and down my spine. I felt way too uneasy being there. I was happy that Aubrey was with me, but I felt danger looming around us as we continued our journey. It seemed impossible things would get stranger, but they did. Suddenly, Aubrey and I heard a twig snap behind us. We looked at each other with wide eyes.

"RUN!" She shrieked. We both took off in a sprint. My heart was pounding. I could hear the sound of something following behind us. I knew it was not Duchess this time because she was in front of us. She knew we were in danger as well. My breathing became heavier and faster. Pain shot through my legs. My muscles ached as I pushed them to go faster. I did not want to die. I was too young. I had so many things left to accomplish in my life. Why did my mom make me go to Mrs. Pinson's? Why didn't I listen to Aubrey about Billy Thompson? Why did we stay so late at Mrs. Pinson's? As all these thoughts whirled through my head I saw my redemption. The end of the forest. The road leading out.

"Aubrey we are almost there," I shrieked, "We are about to be free. Keep pushing yourself." My muscles burned in objection to the overexertion I was putting on them. 20 more feet. Sweat poured down my forehead burning my eyes. 10 more feet. My lungs felt as if they were going to explode. 5 more feet. Please tell me the creature won't catch us. FREE! That is when Aubrey and I both jerked to a halt. We could not believe our eyes. I thought I was dreaming. Aubrey began to cry. Duchess whimpered. My mouth hung open in terror.

There in the middle of the road stood Mrs. Pinson holding a plate of cookies. "Oh you sweet dears. I was hoping I would catch you. I forgot that I meant to give you sweet girls some extra cookies for being so kind to an old lady." Aubrey and I looked at each other horrified and both had the exact same thought. Let's go back into the woods.

Words: 1515
© Copyright 2010 DarkJoy (darkjoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683418-The-Creature-in-the-Woods