*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684478-The-kingdom
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1684478
a story about how a queen saved her husband
The guard entered the throne room, stood in front of the King and Queen and bowed his head, “your Majesty, Seth is planning a war against your Kingdom.”

The King was surprised by  the news brought by his guard.

Before he could speak his wife Arbela interrupted, “Prepare the army secretly.” She gazed at the King, turned back to the guard, “dismissed.” The guard left, the King gestured to close the doors of the throne room.

“Are you planning for war?” said the King.

“No, we will deal with this without bloodshed, Artemis.”

Artemis interrupted, “How?”

“Just trust me.” Her eyes were filled with hope as she gazed at Artemis.

“He is my brother, yet I was forced to banish him due to his treason. I’ve had enough,” said the King

“Treason, he tried to kill you in the coronation party and our wedding. If he wasn’t your blood I wouldn’t have rested till his execution.” 

“The King looked towards the ground, “I know, can you think of any other way than war?” sorrow filled the King’s voice.

“No,” the Queen gazed at the sad King, “unless of course you want to go to him and offer peace.” A smile was drawn all over her face and her sarcastic tone filled the King’s heart with agony.

“I will go pray to the gods to deal with this.” The King left the throne room and directed himself to the temple of the Sun God.

Better know what he is doing or else he will ruin the Kingdom with his foolishness. Thought the Queen.

The Queen joined the King in his prayers. The King stood up and said. “I know what I have to do now.” Bowed to his god and left the room.

The Queen gazed at her god, “Father I hope you gave him a good advice this time.” She left and followed her husband, “what did father tell you?”

With a grin the king said, “What, don’t you trust him?”

“I trust him to take care of his wife’s son.” Concern filled the Queen’s voice.

“The people and priests of this country chose us to rule believing that we are the son and daughter of the gods of the city. You should trust my judgment.” 

The Queen interrupted “it’s not about trust.” She looked around, “What did he tell you?”

“If that’s going to make you relax then fine… he ordered me to go and visit my brother in the exile.”

“What?” cried the Queen. “He will kill you, didn’t you hear he is preparing a war filled with outlaws as his army to kill you.”

The King ignored the Queen’s words and prepared his journey to visit his brother. Artemis didn’t take anyone with him; he sneaked at night to visit his brotherwithout guards, protection, only his love to his brother and the trust he put in his god moved him towards the exile.

The King reached there after two days on foot, reached there at midnight, he kept wandering for his brother until he found him in front of a tent talking to one of the outlaws, “Did you bring what I asked you?”

“Yeah” the man showed him a huge sword.

Why would he need a sword these days? A gun would be just fine to kill me. Thought the King

Seth grabbed the sword and touched its blade. “yup, sharp just what I want. Good job Oranous.” He tapped on his shoulder.

“That won’t help against an army filled with tanks, guns and all kind of technologies.”

Seth gazed at him, “I am not planning to use it in the war.” Seth gave him some money and went to his tent.

Artemis entered the tent right behind Seth. “Hello brother.”

“Ha, you are so predictable my lord.” Seth turned to face Artemis and raised his sword to kill him. He stabbed him in the heart. Artemis died immediately. Seth chopped the body into pieces and spread it all over the Kingdom, sending the head to the Queen in a casket.

In the early morning when the Queen woke up, she went to the prayer room to ask her god to protect her husband. One of the maids entered, “I’m sorry your Majesty but there is a casket in front of the palace.”

The Queen left immediately and ran towards the doors of the palace, she pointed to the guards “Open the doors and bring the casket inside.” The guards did as ordered. “Open it” ordered the Queen.  The guards hesitated especially after they saw the King’s seal on it.

“Open it.” Repeated the Queen. The guards opened the casket and closed their eyes.

Seth appeared in front of the open doors of the palace, “ It is said that who ever gets to kill the King, takes his place as a King and a husband to his wife.”

“In your dreams, I will never be your wife.” said the Queen angrily. Seth showed the King’s symbol that he took after killing Artemis, and the guards bowed to him.

“I rather die before I see you on the thrown.” Said the Queen with disgust.

“That can be arranged.” Seth made a gesture ordering the guards to capture the Queen.

The guards hesitated, “we can’t do such a shameful sin, she is the daughter of the Sun God.”

The Queen took her chance and ran outside of the palace. None of the guards ran after her, she won’t live long out there. Thought Seth.

Arbela wandered in the Kingdom surprised by the change that happened in it. The land that used to be filled with grass and green areas, lives all around, it’s all a desert now only one tree in the middle with no leaves. The Queen knelt on her knees and started crying, the clouds started to fill in the sky and anger filled the air. Arbela raised her voice to the Sun God “Remove the curse off this land and bring its King back.” Whining “you can’t accept having your daughter as a widow.” She kept crying “he died a shameful death.” She gazed at the ground and hit it.

“Arise, collect his body parts, reassemble them and bring him here in front of the tree.” Ordered a voice coming from the sky 

Arbela sneaked into the palace and stole her husband’s head, she looked for his body all over the Kingdom until she found all of his body parts. She brought him in front of the tree and assembled him in front of the tree.

“Put your hands on him, and kiss him daughter.” Ordered the voice and she did as ordered

Artemis’s body became attached again,” I give you the power of words. Do as you please.” Said the voice

Arbela looked at her dead husband and said “revive.”

Suddenly Artemis became alive again and hugged Arbela.

The two bowed to their Sun God “Thank you for your gifts lord” said Arbela.

The two went to the palace and ordered the doors to be opened using the new powers of Arbela, stealing the King’s symbol back from Seth. Her words killed him and took back their place as a King and Queen under the protection of the Sun God.





Word count:1207
© Copyright 2010 Nada Philippe (a.k.a: R.H.N) (rhmn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684478-The-kingdom