*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686451-Only-Four-one
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1686451
100 years after the prologue Aria is in control, meet Becca, Kenrid and Will, the heroes.
Chapter one.



I woke with the normal worry floating round in my head. I couldn’t help thinking that way, even when  the rest of the village scoffed and ridiculed me. Even when my old friends tried to calm my fears. It just never worked.



My mood plummeted even further when I looked out of my window. There was once again a steady stream of weary travellers, all battered and bruised. I knew where they had come from, everyone knew. I was the only one who actually spoke out loud. The others would just keep quiet and pretend everything was fine. Ignorant fools.



I quickly dressed and rushed outside. Heading for a small child who seemed to be on their own.



“Hello. I’m Rebecca. But you can call me Becca if you like.” He kept walking, only glancing at me once.



“I know, miss. The old man back there told us that we weren’t welcome in the village and should just go into the woods. He told us about the crazy girl who would help us.” Damn, Bracken had been shoving his nose in where it was far from wanted.



“Well you see, I’m that crazy girl. How about I carry you to the shelter that me and my friends set up?” He looked at me with wide eyes. He smiled sadly.



“Thank you, but my momma told me that real gentlemen were supposed to carry young ladies around. She and papa have gone now.” A tiny tear began to trickle down his cheek but he quickly wiped it away.



“Well ok then. But is it ok if I walk with you?” I asked. I was a little more than worried about the slight limp he was walking with. His pale and drawn face didn’t help either.



“Ok.” We walked in silence until we reached the entrance of the makeshift camp.



I had started the camp when the first refugees arrived about six months before. The few able bodied men and women who had made it out of the North helped and soon a small ever changing community  had been established.



“Becca! Thank the Gods you’re here!” Called Kenrid. An old war legend who was waiting for a party to travel east with.



“Hey Kenrid, have you opened the last of the rice stores?” I asked.



“No. I just wanted to ask you before we did.” I nodded.



“OK, open the last of the rice but only cook half of it. Do we have any fresh meat left?”  He shook his head.



“No, the last was finished off when fifty or so new arrivals came late last night.” I nodded slowly.



“I’ll go hunting now then. Come on, let’s get you some food.” I led the small boy to the food tent and handed him into Analie’s care.



“We can’t keep this up. Soon there’ll be no more game in the forest without going so far in it isn’t worth it.”



“Don’t you think I know that?!” I hissed, I didn’t mean to come off so harsh. “Sorry. It’s all just getting to me, you know? I feel as if I’m not doing enough. I want to be out there, actually helping the cause instead of trying to keep these people alive. No that came out wrong. I feel like I’m trying to stop a rushing river with a grain of sand.” Kenrid gave me a knowing look.



“You have hero’s blood in those veins of yours.” I  blushed at the compliment.



“No. I’m sure everyone is thinking the same as me.”



“No, they’re thinking things like, when will I eat next? I miss my family. When will someone stand up for us?” I shrugged.



“It doesn’t even matter. If I’m not here then my village will just move the refugees on and then they may die. I’m needed here. I’ll just suck it up and get on with it.” I picked up my bow and a quiver of arrows. “Are you coming?”



“Of course I am. You never know what’s lurking in these forests.”



“Rebecca! Becca! Come quick!!” Yelled a panicked Rosie.



“Rosie calm down tell me what happened.” I grabbed her shoulders and forced her to stop panicking.



“A boy, he just came from the north, he’s been injured really badly. He’s passed out but me said something before he did.” She took a deep breath. “He said, “They’re here.”” I Immediately knew what this strange boy was talking about. Me and Kenrid looked at each other before running off to go and talk to the boy.



The boy wasn’t hard to find. His pallet was surrounded by on lookers. I barged my way through the crowds. “Let me through!” They all parted and I was looking at a boy around my age with messy brown hair. Scars covered his body, some old and some new. I couldn’t help the gasp that came from me.



“How long has he been out?” I asked.



“About ten minutes.” Someone supplied. I nodded and checked for a pulse and listened to his breathing. They sounded good considering the situation. I slapped his face gently.



“Come on, wake up. Did he say his name?” I asked, everyone shook their heads.



“Ugh. Oh whoa. What happened?” The boy sat up, shielding his eyes from the very dim light.



“You showed up here beat up and then you said ‘They’re here’. Care to fill us in?” He nodded.



“Can someone get him some water?” I shouted, about ten people started flapping around looking to get him some water, all trying to look helpful and heroic. I was eventually passed a water skin and I pressed it to his lips.



“Thank you.” He murmured after he had finished off the water. “I’m Will. Maybe you should move everyone along.” He whispered. I nodded.



“Ok, everyone needs to get back to what they were doing. Give Will here some space.”  Everyone slowly started to walk away, muttering under their breaths. Kenrid stayed without even being asked to, he knew me fairly well by then.



“OK, you need to get everyone away from here. Evacuate the village. Aria knows about this camp and she’s sending a small fighting force to come and wipe you out.”



“What? That’s absurd! This isn’t exactly a rebel camp. We’re just trying to help them.”



“Well she sees the potential for this to become more than a refugee camp. Did you know you are the only camp that is even remotely trying to rebel against her?” I didn’t.



“No. But if she’s coming then we need to get everyone out of here. Kenrid. Go get me some young boys who can run fast. Will, how long until they get here?”



“About three days, give or take. I had a run in with them about two days ago, as you can tell. They’re merciless. They won’t bargain with you either.” I nodded.



“I wasn’t planning on it.” Kenrid returned with ten young boys all full of excitement at being asked to help.



“Ok, can one of you go find out how many sick people we have?” One of the boys nodded and sprinted off to find out. “I need two of you to gather all the men and women who can fight. Kenrid, how many weapons do we have?” Kenrid shook his head sadly.



“A few spears, maybe four swords. A few hunting bows.”



“Ok, you and me need a sword. Pick the best shots and throwers from the group the boys collect, and give them a weapon. Tell them they will be split into two groups. One will accompany the others to the South and the other will stay here until everyone else has gone, then we’ll follow.” He nodded and went about his task.



I ordered the rest of the evacuation and informed the village head. He had sworn at me and tried to hit me but after I yelled a few choice words at him he left to organise his own evacuation. By the time night had begun to fall all the sick and the children with two of the fighters had begun to make their way South through the forest.



“Rebecca!” A voice called out from behind me. I spin and saw Will running towards me.



“Will! You need to lay back down, you need to heal!” I gasped. He just grinned back at me.



“I heal quickly, I’ve decided that it would be best if I stayed till the last of the refugees have been evacuated. I can fight if it comes to it and besides, I want to stay with you and Kenrid. If anyone is going to start a rebellion it will be the two of you. You have the makings of a leader and I want to help. I can’t sit back and watch as my land slowly bows down to that witch.” I nodded.



“Ok, you can stick with me and Kenrid, if Kenrid is staying with me.”



“Of course I am. I can tell you have the fight in you. Together we can take down the bitch.” Kenrid slapped me on the back and I grinned at him.



“Well it’s settled then. After we make sure the others are safe, we start on our rebellion.” The others nodded at me.

I went to go say goodbye to my grandparents, they had decided to travel to the great ports to the west. Our farewell was tearful and heartfelt. I knew they were proud of me though and it nearly made leaving them worth it. They gave me a small bag of gold. Enough to keep me alive for a year or two. Presuming I manage to survive the whole attack thing.

I got back to the camp well after midnight. The food stores were being divided up and it seemed like no one could sleep as everyone was wandering around seemingly aimlessly. I knew the feeling. I checked on everyone, saying goodbye for in case I didn’t get to see them off tomorrow. 



“Good morning Becca.” Greeted Will just as dawn was beginning to brake. “Should we start evacuating again now we have sunlight?” He asked. I nodded, too tired to even speak.



Soon enough there was only me, Will and Kenrid left in the camp. I had just ran back to the village to make sure that everyone had gone. They had and now we were the only ones left.



“Well let’s get going, I don’t want to have another fight with those soldiers.” Commented Will as he swung his pack onto his back.



“You’re right, let’s go.” The three of us began walking in the direction the others had gone a few hours before.

The muddy path started to split as different groups went different ways, we stayed on the main trail before cutting up the steep valley edge, we reached a break in the trees at the top and I looked back at the village and camp, now in the distance. I sighed and turned back round. A loud angry roar rang out through the forest.



“That’s them.” Said Will. “The race is on.” Determination flooded through his voice, giving me hope that we would somehow get out of this, then start our rebellion. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, came to mind.   





© Copyright 2010 clueless (surfing_emo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686451-Only-Four-one