*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687176-The-Invitation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1687176
Life will never be the same after Amy invites Miss Leanne home to tea.
The Invitation

Rodney Barrington sighed as he drove away. He hated leaving his children so early in the morning but there was nothing else he could do. He had to start work at seven. As a single father, leaving the children with strangers was the one thing he hated.

He missed Maree so much. Time had dulled the pain of her passing but it hadn’t eased the burden of raising two small children alone and he had had such trouble finding a suitable place for them to stay.

Amy and Joel had not settled into childcare at all. They had only ever known their mother’s loving care and still could not understand why she had left them so suddenly. Amy had been four at the time and Joel three. Now, two years later, they were still unsettled. There had been serious problems at first. Joel throwing tantrums and and Amy sullen and disagreeable. Mrs. Wainright had kindly asked him if he could make other arrangements because his children were disrupting the others. Somewhat embarrassed, he had looked for something else.

Gradually, the children accepted the new situation and settled down, but they were not happy. Amy looked so lonely and lost at times and rarely laughed and smiled any more. Then she started school and the day care centre did not cater for school age children. The quest began again.

It was a neighbour who told him about Leanne Withers and the “Katie Koala Kindy”. Leanne minded a number of children and lived just around the corner, right where the school bus pulled up each morning and afternoon. She was glad to take Amy and Joel into her care; had no problems with Rodney’s early morning start and for the first time since their mother’s death, the two children seemed relaxed and happy.

As he travelled to work, Rodney thought about Leanne. She was about thirty, he supposed. Her chestnut hair was already tinged with grey. She wasn’t overly attractive but there was something about her that he found rather unforgettable. He couldn’t quite define it, but when she smiled, it was like seeing the sunshine after the rain and she seemed to smile so much.

At first he had been nervous about leaving Amy and Joel in her care, especially as Amy had just started school, but his concerns were needless. From the very first day, they had run to greet him with smiles on their faces, both of them bubbling over with tales about their day. He had spoken briefly to Leanne who had nothing but good news for him, signed the day book and taken his tired but contented family home.

In the days that followed, his contact with Leanne was just as brief. A pattern was established. He dropped off the children each morning, entered their names, shared any necessary information with her and when his way. Sometimes she was there to meet him at the end of the day, other times he spoke to her assistant, but for the first time in a long time he too felt content.

Every morning, Amy and Joel were eager to be on their way; every evening, reluctant to leave. They loved Leanne and Rodney became aware of feelings he had never known before. He resented this woman who had suddenly become the centre of his children’s affections. Every evening, it was Leanne this, Leanne that, Leanne said this or Leanne said that. Leanne Withers, it seemed, had become the source of authority on everything and it bothered him. Meanwhile, Amy and Joel had never been happier.

For days he stewed over the situation. Eventually, he had to admit that he was just plain jealous. They had been a tight little unit, he and Amy and Joel, not necessarily happy, but together. Now it seemed they were being torn apart. He couldn’t disrupt their lives again by taking them away for the centre but it was a dilemma, nevertheless.

It was Amy who first began, unconsciously, to find an answer to Rodney’s predicament. They were seated around the tea table on evening when she innocently said, “Daddy, do you know that when all the boys and girls go home at night, Miss Leanne lives upstairs in that great big house on her own? She must be very lonely. Can we invite her to have tea with us?”

“Oh, I don’t know, Cherub. She probably has a husband who comes home after you have all gone.”

“No, Daddy, she doesn’t. She told me. She lives all alone in that big house. Couldn’t we ask her to come round here. She has to spend the weekends on her own too. Please, Daddy,” Amy begged.

“Pweese, Daddy,” Joel echoed.

“I don’t know. I’ll think about it,” he said reluctantly.

The following morning, Rodney did not feel quite at ease as he dropped off his children. Leanne was her usual cheerful self but for some reason, Rodney felt awkward talking to her. As quickly as possible, he made his escape and for the next few days he had as little contact as possible with her. He even asked a friend if she would collect his children a couple of evenings on the pretext that he was working late and all the while, Amy and Joel were badgering him to invite Leanne for tea.

He still had not made a decision on the matter when, one evening a few days later, the doorbell rang as he was about to prepare the meal. He glanced at the clock. It was just on six. He opened the door and Leanne was standing there.

She looked relieved to see him. “I was hoping I had the right place. I’m not too late, am I?”

Rodney gaped. “Too…late?”

“Yes, for tea. Amy said…you were… expecting…me?” her statement changing to a query.

“Amy said…Oh, yes, of course…how forgetful of me,” he said, recovering his composure and inwardly seething.

“Miss Leanne, you’ve come!” Amy cried, suddenly bursting into the room and running to her. “Oh, I’m so glad. Daddy ask her to come in.”

“Yes, please do,” he said politely, stepping aside. “I’m just about to prepare tea. Would you like a drink?” He glared at his daughter. Just wait till I get my hands on you, young lady, he thought.

Leanne followed him into the kitchen uncertainly. “It was very kind of you to invite me, Mr. Barrington. I wasn’t sure if I should come but Amy and Joel both insisted that you were cooking tea for me tonight.” She glanced at the bench where three plates were stacked and a large piece of steak with two smaller pieces alongside, waiting to be grilled.

“Oh!” she gasped, embarrassment written all over her face. “I don’t think I am expected. I’m sorry. I’d better go.”

Rodney glanced at the meat and flushed crimson. “But of course, you’re expected. I-I told Amy to make sure you came. I…just forgot that it was tonight we arranged it,” he lied, slightly vexed. “I’m so used to cooking for just the three of us. It won’t take a moment for another piece of steak to thaw.” He delved into the freezer and found a large steak, promptly placing it in the microwave.

“Well, if you’re sure. I wouldn’t like to intrude…”

Suddenly something in Rodney snapped. “So, you wouldn’t like to intrude, Miss Withers. Well, let me tell you, you’ve already intruded. Into my life, into the lives of my children. Do you know all Amy and Joel ever talk about these days is you. Miss Leanne this…Miss Leanne that. Nothing is the same anymore. Nothing!

The woman gaped at him as if he had slapped her. “I’m sorry, Mr. Barrington. I hadn’t realised. I had better go.” She picked up her bag and walked hurriedly to the door. “Perhaps you had better find another day care centre,” she added as she made her way down the stairs.

Amy ran after her. “Are you going, Miss Leanne?” she asked.

“I’m afraid so.”

“But you can’t go, Miss Leanne. You just can’t. Won’t you please stay?”

“I’m sorry, Amy. It was a very naughty thing you did, inviting me here without your father’s permission.”

“But…you’re all alone in that big house and we really wanted you to have tea with us.”

“Not tonight, pet. Perhaps another time.” She closed the gate behind her and headed towards the corner, her eyes filled with unshed tears.

Suddenly, she was not alone. Three pairs of footsteps were following her and one in particular was striding purposefully towards her. She felt a strong hand grasp her arm and turn her about.

“Wait, Miss Withers…Leanne. I’m sorry. I am so sorry. I’m such a fool. You have to be the best thing that has happened to this family in a very long time. Please, don’t go. I’d really like you to stay and I know the children would also.”

“Yes. Please don’t go, Miss Leanne,” they chorused, clinging to her.

Leanne could not speak. As the threatening tears rolled down her cheeks, they were gently wiped away and the hand that held her arm steered her back towards the house while Amy and Joel grinned happily and scampered ahead of them.

Needless to say, “Katie Koala’s Kindy” changed hands a few months later and Leanne moved out of the big lonely house. The children were all sorry to see her go, all except two of them, that is. Joel clung to her and Amy fiddled with the gold band she wore.

“Miss Leanne’s our very own mummy now,” Amy said proudly. She won’t be living here anymore because she’s come to live with us but you can all come and visit her at our place, if you like. I know my daddy won’t mind.”

© Copyright 2010 Jeannie (underwing at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687176-The-Invitation