*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687728-Logan
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1687728
The story of a forever orphan finding love in an unexpected place
Dear Diary: It was colder than usual today. I had another interview for a foster family and another rejection, shocker I know. They said they were looking for someone “younger”, I don’t even see why I need a stupid foster family, they’d just dump me in a year when I turn 18, so who cares. I think it’s just because the orphanage is sick of me. I don’t blame them I would be too after 17 years, heck after seventeen years of having no one to talk to but this stupid diary I am getting a little sick of myself.



Trinity sighed as she let her old composition notebook fall shut in her lap. She looked to the left and the right of her grossly undersized children’s bed. To her left were four beds full of girls none older than nine, and to her right were seven beds with nine girls eight of which were under nine. The ninth girl was fourteen, her name was River, and she was Trinity’s best friend.

“T…T…Talkin’ t...to your…yourself again?” River asked Trinity smirking as she rolled over to face her. Trinity just smiled back and raised one of her eyebrows at River. River was born with a stutter and she was legally blind; it was due to some progressive mental disease that Trinity had never heard of before. That was why, in Trinity’s opinion, she hadn’t been adopted yet. She couldn’t find any other reason why someone wouldn’t want her. River was beautiful, smart, funny, and very kind.

“Yes, if by talking to myself you mean writing in my diary, then yes, I’m talking to myself.” Trinity said scrunching up her whole body so she could fit under her covers. She looked at River’s foggy blue eyes as they gazed straight over her head searching aimlessly for Trinity’s face. Trinity’s eyes filled with tears as she looked into River’s sightless eyes, she was so over come with emotions that she had to turn away from her. River turned her head in such a way that her ear was facing Trinity rather than her eyes; due to River’s blindness her other senses had heightened, especially her hearing.

“St…Stop that! If.f…anyone’s g…g.gonna feel so…sorry for m..m..me it’s m..me.” River managed to say as she reached out her hand searching for Trinity. Trinity reached out for River’s hand and took it by the wrist, then placed it on her face. River moved her thumb gently back and forth stroking away Trinity’s tears, carefully attempting to avoid her eyes. “I’m s…sorry ab…about your f…f..foster…” River began.

“Interview?” Trinity asked attempting to finish River’s sentence; she nodded. “It’s ok; I wasn’t really expecting to be adopted anyways.” River looked at her quizzically. Trinity and River were so close that Trinity could read River’s facial expressions like a book. “I’m too old, and not pretty enough.” Trinity explained her bottom lip quivering slightly.

“T…T…True you a…are an o..o…old l..la..ady, b..but…” River tried to finish her sentence but couldn’t.

“Shhhhh…it’s ok, do you think you could maybe write it down, you do need the practice.” Trinity joked, and River nodded. Trinity ripped out a piece of paper from her diary and handed River her pen as she placed her hand on the paper.

Trinity began reading as the words were scrawled slightly crookedly across the paper. “True you are and old lady but the Trinity I know is beautiful.” Trinity was still bitter about the interview and now this she didn’t know how to feel. She didn’t think she just reacted.

“How would you know? You can’t even see.” Trinity said as she started to cry.

“I may not be able to see your face but I can see better with my heart than most people can with their eyes” River wrote slowly and practically illegibly, but she didn’t react the way Trinity had thought she would. Once River was finished writing Trinity didn’t know what to say so she just rolled over and left River sitting there with a pen and a piece of paper in her hand staring off into eternal darkness.
© Copyright 2010 Acendence (acendence at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687728-Logan