*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687730-Just-a-Piece-of-Sky-pt1
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #1687730
How will Skylar handle the death of her best friend when love appears
The darkness came closing in swift and piercing. She couldn’t stop it, she ran as fast as her feet would carry her, but you can’t out run what’s in you, what is you. Claws reached forth from the darkness trying to pull her in, scratching her, mauling her. She was so afraid, she screamed but ran on. They ripped her clothes and penetrated her flesh but she couldn’t stop or they would pull her under. She could see a light; she ran faster the hope of safety fueled her on. Figures began to emerge from the darkness. She tried to scream for them to leave her alone but her voice seemed to evaporate in her throat. They grabbed her and she lurched against them. She kicked them but she seemed to go right through them like ghost. Despite this fact their touch on her skin burned her pale skin and her now pale blue eyes brimmed with tears. Her strength was dwindling she had done everything she could, but now the end was near. They covered her mouth, yet again burning her with their touch, so they wouldn’t hear her pathetic cries for mercy. The darkness was engulfing her, she couldn’t breathe, and she was dying.

At that moment Skylar sat straight up in her bed panting, drenched in sweat from the drama of her nightmare. Her delicate fingers massaged her beating temples as she tried for the millionth time to write down what she had seen in her repeating nightmare. She nervously chewed on the end of her blue pen. It was on the verge of her memory she just couldn’t remember. Skylar became so frustrated that she threw her journal and her pen at the opposite wall. She threw back her baby blue comforter and got up from bed. She looked over at her clock to see that it was six o’ seven in the morning. Skylar figured she had enough time for a shower and she had enough time to do her hair. This was a miracle in and of it’s self, Skylar was not a morning person and usually slept until the very last minute, even then it was hard to get her out of bed. But recently she had been plagued with nightmares that forced her to wake up at the very beginning of the morning. By then she was too afraid to go back to sleep.

As she let the water from the shower in her connected bathroom heat up she flipped through the pages of her journal. She had been awakened by this terrifying dream every night since her best friend, Iris, had died six months ago. Iris had died in a car accident. She was giving a friend from school a ride home from a party where the girl, Alexis, had gotten completely drunk. Iris was on one of the many mountain passes that surrounded the little town of Wellsboro, and all of a sudden Alexis woke up. She realized that it was her car that Iris was driving; she tried to grab the wheel from Iris and sent the car tumbling down a cliff. When they finally reached the bottom the car landed top down. It took two hours for the rescue crews to get down the treacherous cliff. When they finally did reach the tiny crushed car at the bottom of the cliff they had to hurry and pull them from the scene because the radiator and gas tank were leaking. At this point Iris had begun unbuckling Alexis as fast as she could upside down. The rescue crews burst through one of the windows and reached for Iris’s hand. She pushed Alexis out in front of her because Iris was just that kind of a person, that’s why everyone loved her. As the crew of rescuers pulled Alexis relatively safely from the wreckage, the car burst into flames. They ran to save Iris, but they were all too late. She died in that car at the bottom of that cliff and the one responsible for it all lived.

Skylar’s vision blurred with tears at the memory of her beloved friend. She gasped for breath as she began to stand and walk slowly to the bathroom. She let the hot water pour over her tense body as she let the tears fall from her sky blue eyes. She washed her hair in silence, where as she would usually sing a random song. As she finished her shower she stepped out and started to towel dry her hair in front of a foggy mirror she remembered all the good times she had shared with her best friend. She remembered the funeral, all the tears, everyone loved Iris. She even remembered how sick she had made herself so that she wouldn’t have to go to school and see every hall and every room that reminded Skylar of Iris. It had been six months since her dearest friend had passed and the world still seemed as if it needed to right itself.

Skylar contemplated who was responsible for Iris’s death as she blew dried her hair. She knew for sure that it was Alexis’s fault, she also laid some of the blame on Alexis’s parents’ shoulders, but most of all Skylar blamed God for taking one of his children home. She had saved Alexis’s life and sacrificed her own what did it take for God to just help out a little and keep the fire away for three minutes, is that too much to ask? Skylar didn’t think so. When she had found out that Iris had died she ran out into the forest in the rain and just stood there screaming at God. Why did he have to take Iris? Everyone loved Iris, did he not love Iris enough to save her life, or was he even real? From that moment on Skylar had renounce her belief in God, or even an all powerful being. She never prayed and she never went to church. At first her parents understood that she was grieving in her own way, but now that time had passed they pressured her to go to church and when she refused, they prayed. Sometimes at night after waking up from one of her nightmares Skylar could hear her mother crying out to God, to please guide her daughter into the light, please ease her burden. Skylar knew that her mom was just trying to help but she also thought that she was just wasting her breath.

Skylar walked out of her bathroom in a towel, and looked at all the pictures on the walls of her room. They were all of Iris and her, mostly just of Iris. Iris was so beautiful that it was impossible to forget her even if you just met her for a minute. But people always assumed, and this time they assumed she needed something to remember her by. She had even been given the cross Iris had worn all the time. She had even been wearing it when she died. The fire had melted it badly but they managed to save what they could, it was so melted it merged to form almost a heart. That made Skylar even angrier at God for leaving something behind so charred and mangled. She thought that God was supposed to leave thing that the world could use to remember the one’s lost. This necklace didn’t remind Skylar of Iris at all, she was so pure and perfect, this heart was deformed and ugly she couldn’t see any resemblance between it and Iris.

Skylar tried her hardest to focus on getting ready for school since it was her first day of eleventh grade she had to be on time and look her best. As hard as she tried she just couldn’t focus, this would be the first time she started a new grade with out Iris in six years. They had been best friends since fifth grade. She thought about that fateful day they met. They were just eleven and they were to sit next to each other. They just looked at each other they were total opposites on the out side. What with Iris with her wavy brown hair, tan skin, and deep green eyes, and Skylar with her straight jet black hair, pale skin, and her sky blue eyes. No one thought that they would get along but amazingly they did, and that’s how it started. By the end of the year they were practically glued to each other, “Promise that we’ll still be Best Friends Forever in middle school Iris?” Skylar had asked Iris the last day of fifth grade. “I promise with all my heart Sky.” Iris had told her. Iris had never called her Skylar, just sky. Iris always said it was because her eyes were the little pieces of sky God forgot to put back; she was just a piece of sky. Ever since the accident if anyone had tried to call her Sky she would correct them immediately. She was not Sky, just Skylar and nothing more.

Skylar’s mom started to walk up the stairs to the frog over the garage which was Skylar’s room; she stopped at the door because she heard sobs coming from behind the door. She had known the moment Iris died that it would be hard on Skylar but she never imagined that it would have broken her spirit like it did. She thought she would still at least talk to her other friends, but it turned out that they only hung out with her because she was friends with Iris. Skylar had withdrawn from everyone even her parents and it scared Skylar’s mom. She knocked on the door and heard a soggy come in before she entered her teenager’s room. She saw her only child curled up on her bed crying as she clutched a photo album she and Iris had made from fifth grade until six months ago when it happened. “Baby girl, don’t cry you don’t want puffy eyes on the first day of school do you?” you mom asked thinking it would help but her racking sobs only got worse, if that was possible. “What, what is it baby?” Skylar’s mom asked in an attempt to help with her teenager’s problems. “It’s just….oh never mind.” Skylar wept as she buried her face even deeper in her pillow. “No baby talk to me, maybe I can help.” Skylar’s mom tried desperately to comfort her heart broken daughter. “I haven’t started a new grade without Iris since fifth grade I don’t know how to be on my own.” Skylar vented to her mother. This was the most open she had been with her mother since the crash.

“Oh baby,” Her mom said sadly as she embraced her in a warm hug. They sat there for ten minutes Skylar was crying and her mom was rubbing her back. “You really need to get to school now.” Skylar’s mom had told her after about fifteen minutes. “I know, but do I really have to go?” Skylar asked looking up into her mother’s chocolate brown eyes pleading for her to say no. “Yes, I know you want me to tell you, you can stay home, but I really think it’s important to go on the first day.” Skylar’s mom told her thinking it was the best way for Skylar to get closure right now. “Fine, I’ll go but I won’t be home right after school cuz’ I’m gonna go visit Iris.” Skylar told her mother forcing back the tears. Her mother just nodded gently knowing she meant she was going to the cemetery, some days she would spend hours there just talking to Iris about what’s happening in her life, other days she would go and sit for hours just to cry. At times Skylar mom was jealous of that tombstone because her daughter would open up to it more than she would open up to her own mother but soon after she would realize how much her daughter was hurting and it would just take time.

It a little more than ten more minutes after kissing her mom and dad goodbye Skylar is ushered out the door and towards the bus for the first time in six months. She walked slowly to the big yellow bus, she was really scared. Just to delay getting on she stopped and tied her shoe three times, and adjusted her backpack twice. After a couple of minutes the bus driver got tired of waiting and honked at her a couple of times. Skylar didn’t want her bus driver to hate her after just the first day so she hurried the rest of the way to the bus and climbed aboard. As soon as the doors closed behind her she was jerked forward as the bus headed off towards Wellington High. Skylar walked down the bus isle looking for a seat and she could hear kids whisper, “That’s the girl who used to be friends with the girl who died last year.” She just sat alone and stared out the window.

It started to rain. The rain drops rolling down the bus window made it seem as if the sky itself was crying for Iris’s tragic fate. The bus lurched to a gut wrenching stop as it opened its doors to allow more students to board. The students stepping onto the bus resembled drowned rats. Only about seven people got on at this stop, and as they walked past Skylar could hear them whisper about her, and she could feel their eyes burning into her. She didn’t think it was fair to alienate her just because her best friend died. The last person who got on the bus was sopping wet. Even his blonde hair was dripping. He walked straight over to where Skylar was sitting and sat down next to her. She leaned over and whispered in his ear, “I thought I’d never see you again, Gray.” He turned his head to face her. Skylar’s sky blue eyes met his pale gray ones and they both filled with tears. “I’ve missed you these past six months Skylar.” Gray’s whisper was barely audible over the uproar of the crowded bus. They embraced each other in a soggy but friendly hug. As they hugged memories flooded back to Skylar about how the three of them, Iris Gray and herself, had been inseparable since Iris had started going out with Gray. Gray was Iris’s first serious relationship and she had truly loved him, or so Skylar thought.

Gray and Skylar sat and talked almost all the way to Wellington High. On the way the rain had lightened but not quite stopped. As they spoke they talked about everything, everything except Iris. Both of their memories were seared with burning thoughts of Iris’s end, and Skylar thought that they were too painful to mention. She thought wrong.

As the bus pulled to a stop in front of the school everyone began to file out of the little bus doors. Skylar started to walk down the isle towards the doors when she glanced out the window and her heart froze in her chest. There she stood, her back was to the bus, but Skylar could tell who it was from her distinctive hair color. She would never forget her blonde hair with black streaks; she would never forget her unscathed face, but most of all she would never forget those cold brown eyes that watched as Skylar’s best friend burned to death, because of Alexis’s stupid mistake. She glared at her as Skylar continued walking down the isle towards the bus door. Gray stepped off the bus and Skylar followed him. She even followed Gray over to where Alexis was standing. He tapped her on the shoulder and Skylar was expecting him to curse her out or punch her or something, boy was she wrong.

Alexis spun around and her face lit up when she saw that it was Gray. She flung her arms around him and he spun her around. She squealed, “Gray baby, I’ve missed you so much.” Then Gray did the last thing Skylar expected him to, he kissed her. The sight of it made her want to throw up. Gray grasped Alexis’s hand in his and pulled her over to Skylar. Skylar didn’t make a move she stood completely ridged. “Gray what are you doing?” Skylar asked as tears started to well up in her eyes, she couldn’t believe what she was seeing. “Skylar this is my girlfriend of four months Alexis. Alexis this is” Gray tried to introduce her but he was interrupted by Skylar screaming, “No, Gray no, don’t…don’t say it.” Skylar couldn’t hold back the tears any longer. “Skylar can you not do this right now. Please.” Gray whispered urgently as he saw Alexis growing upset. “How could you do this to me, to Iris? She did it…she killed her.” Skylar sobbed as she stared at the mortified couple. “Skylar you need to stop talking now, you’re really hurting her.” Gray murmured as Skylar glanced and saw that Alexis had a guilt ridden expression on her face, but she didn’t care. “I will not be quiet. You only waited two months before you started going out with you dead girlfriend’s killer. I can’t believe this.” Skylar was screaming so loudly that she was drawing a crowd. “She doesn’t remember anything from that night Sky you can’t blame her, plus Iris was the one who didn’t care about our relationship enough to be loyal to me.” Gray said trying to calm her down. “You wanna bet, I blame her with all my heart, Iris would never have cheated on you, she loved you, and my name’s not Sky its SKYLAR!” She screamed as she pushed her way through the crowd trying to suppress her wracking sobs.

She tried desperately to find somewhere where she could be alone. She ran to the gardens. They were at the back of the school so when she got there she finally had her tears under control. She stopped when she reached the gardens to make sure there was no one around. At the very back of the garden was a guy sleeping under a big oak tree, but she would stay at the front of the garden so as not to disturb him. She sat on the edging around a plant and plopped down her back pack pulling out her journal. She wrote:



Today I found out that Gray who used to be one of my best friends is now going out with the girl who killed my best friend, his old girl friend. How wrong is that? I couldn’t even stand to look at him one more second, I ran straight to the gardens, Iris’s favorite place in the whole school. I might have embarrassed myself but I don’t care, Iris never cared what other people thought.



Skylar took a deep breath and sighed, “If there is a God out there he hates me.” “God can’t hate.” A boy’s voice drifted to Skylar’s ears and she looked up to see whose it was. Right in front of her face was the boy who was sleeping on the other side of the garden who was now squatting in front of her. She jumped and gasped at the same time almost falling off the ledge she was sitting on. The mysterious and quite handsome young man grabbed her arm to keep her from falling. His touch was warm on her bare forearm. She slowly looked up into his glowing green eyes which reminded her so much of Iris’s. “Sorry I scared you, I’m Aiden, and you are?” he asked her. “Oh yeah, sorry I’m Skylar.” She said blushing slightly. “Skylar, what a pretty name, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of some one else in this school with that name.” Aiden said. “I know, my mom had always liked it. Aiden that’s a pretty interesting name also.” Skylar commented. “Well, I’ve always like to stand out I guess my parents could just sense my unique nature from birth.” He said smiling. For the first time in almost six months Skylar, smiled. “I should get to class; I’ve already missed first period.” Skylar admitted shyly. “I’m gonna tell you a secret, I missed it too.” Aiden said comforting her.

“So what’s your next class?” Skylar asked him as they started their walk back to the eleventh grade hallway; luckily they were in the same grade. “I have Algebra II next.” Aiden said reading his schedule. “Me too, thank goodness I’ll sort of know some one there.” Skylar said making Aiden laugh, she just had to laugh too. They finally made it back just in time not to get a tardy on their first, well, second class of the new school year.

They walked in together and they were greeted with multiple, “Hey its Aiden every body, Aiden’s back!” Aiden seemed to blush a little and just tried to wave them off. Everyone wanted to sit next to the obviously popular Aiden, so Skylar just got pushed to the side and sat alone. Skylar sat through to whole class trying her best to focus on the teacher, but she found herself constantly glancing over towards where Aiden was sitting. The girls were falling all over themselves to get as close to him as they could to his black hair and his green eyes. She didn’t know why but Skylar was growing jealous. By the time class was over Skylar had caught Aiden glancing desperately at her as if he wanted her to save him from all the attention he was getting.

Skylar rushed out of the class room as soon as the bell sounded and headed for the lunch room. She didn’t want to see Aiden; she felt it would be too awkward. Skylar hurriedly got in the lunch line and grabbed a puke pink plastic tray. Just the sight of the cafeteria food made her want to throw up. Skylar got the least appalling meal there, it was a chic fillet sandwich with mac’n’cheese and a carton of milk. She saw Aiden walk in obviously looking for someone; she didn’t really know too many of the popular people anymore since Iris died, so she doubted she could help him find whoever it was. Skylar hurried to the table she and Iris used to sit at with Iris’s multitude of friends; but today Skylar sat alone. Everyone seemed to be whispering her name, like in one of those dreams where you can hear voices all around you and you can’t really understand what they are saying. All the students would walk by like they were going to sit with her but they just stare as they walk past.

She soon gave up on her rubber sandwich and started to pick at her macaroni. The line was almost empty. Skylar just knew she was going to end up eating alone, when all of a sudden out of no where Aiden got up from his over crowded lunch table and started to walk towards her. Skylar found herself staring as he sat across from her grinning. “What’s for lunch?” Aiden asked as he opened his brown paper bag that contained his lunch from home. “It tastes like the mystery meat loaf from last year.” She stated sullenly. He laughed and said, “I remember that mystery meatloaf. I swore I got part of an ear once.” “Wait you went to this school last year, I don’t remember you.” Skylar said slightly surprised. “Yeah, I was on the base ball team. I was a pitcher. I’m kinda glad you don’t know who I am.” Aiden said so quietly it was hard for Skylar to hear him. “Why? Don’t you like being popular, I mean in a good way. Everyone knows who I am because of something that wasn’t my fault, I wasn’t even there.” Skylar was trying her hardest to keep back the tears. “What happened,” Skylar just shook her head forcing back the endless flow of tears, “it can’t be that bad.” Aiden said not knowing it was the worst thing that had ever happened to Skylar. Skylar gave him a searing look of hate at him just assuming it “Can’t be that bad”, but she didn’t say anything. “Ok, let’s talk about something else.” Aiden said, he could tell he had crossed some kind of boundary. “When we walked into class this morning everyone said you were back. Where did you go?” Skylar asked as she opened her chocolate milk. “Well, I really hadn’t gone anywhere, I…I just hadn’t been at school in a while.” Aiden said looking downtrodden. “Why not?” Skylar asked choking on the spoiled cafeteria milk. “Are you ok?” Aiden asked, avoiding the question. “I don’t know, that was disgusting.” Skylar said covering her mouth, but still laughing. “Next time, you should bring lunch from home.” Aiden said trying not to laugh.

“Hey Aiden, come sit with us.” A really pretty blonde girl called across the lunch room. Aiden looked at Skylar sadly, “It’s ok, I’m a big girl I can eat by myself.” Skylar said. “I’ll talk to you later then, ok?” Aiden asked as he walked away. “Definitely,” Skylar said as he walked away trying to smile. Inside she could feel that there was something, something different about him.

Skylar sat by herself the rest of the lunch period picking at her food, but not really eating it.
© Copyright 2010 Acendence (acendence at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687730-Just-a-Piece-of-Sky-pt1