*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688672-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-forty-four
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1688672
Edith's mother tried to covey a vision's message.
Heaven’s Gate forty-four

As Wallace was racing hard across the field, with Anthony following behind him, the two ladies looked at each other and then turned to run to the house. Each woman was thinking in her mind what she thought was best to do. Penny had abandoned the chicken feeding assignment and was following them the best she could.

“Do you know what Tina might need?” asked Edith to her sister.

“Yes. I have been watching ma birthen babies for the last several years. I’ll get her medicine bag and get Jeb to hurry me over to Tina’s. You don’t know where she and Wallace live. And Tina don’t know you very well. Just stay with ma and give her some sugar water or soup over there if she wakes up soon. “ said Irene as she grabbed a deer skin bag and went through the door. Outside Jeb had already hitched a horse to a wagon and was leaning over to help Irene into the front seat. “This is Tiny Tina’s first baby so it make take a while. Ma gets her next medicine about two hours after sundown if Doc Flack don’t come first. “ Jeb popped the horse with the reigns and the horse began a gentle trot. “There is some bread and some cooked ham in the kitchen. I just brought it this morning.” She turned around and the pair were off.

Edith closed the door and Penny was standing next to the table looking wide eyed. Next to the sink was a basket covered with a checkered cloth that had the aroma of ham coming from it. Edith closed the door slowly. Outside the sounds of birds, chickens and an occasional cricket chirping could be heard. There was a small breeze blowing the dust around. In the west a small line of clouds were beginning to appear.

“Penny, I never thought that this would be the kind of trip that you would have. I want you to know, that even though I was born and raised here with my brothers and sister, I would not have wanted it any other way. My ma and pa were good honest people. They worked hard and taught us the value of …” in the next room, there came a soft moan. Edith turned and walked into the room to see her mother a second time.

Edith walked slowly into the room. She tiptoed over to the side of the bed. Her mother’s eyes were open and her mother was tossing her head from side to side. From her mouth a little blood was oozing out. On the bed stand, was a porcelain bowl that had water and some rags in it. She reached down and picked up the cotton rag.

“Hello mama. It’s Edith. I’m here with my daughter Penny.” as she wiped the mouth area of her mother.

“Ba--by. I see a baby.” said Ruth. She coughed up a little more blood.

Edith wiped her mother’s mouth area again.

“Are you talking about Tiny Tina? Irene has gone to try to help with the delivery.” said Edith as she pulled up the chair.

Ruth nodded. She slid her hand closer to Edith’s Then she looked at the doorway of her room. “Who?”

Edith followed her mother’s gaze and saw Penny standing in the doorway.

“This is your granddaughter Penelope. We call her Penny for short. She has your eyes and smart mind.” responded Edith with pride. “Take a few steps closer Penny so your grandma can see you.”

Penny took a few short steps and stood at the foot of the bed. “Hello grandmother. I am happy to meet you.”

Ruth’s eyes went from head to foot to check out her young, thin granddaughter. “P-P-Pen-ny?”

“Yes grandmother. But if you like Penelope better, that’s fine with me.” she said as she put her hands behind her back.

“Mama, would you like some soup?” Edith asked softly.

“No.”

“Would you like some water?”

“Yes.”

“Penny, go get your grandmother some water and a small glass.”

Penny left the room and got the water for her grandmother.

“Mama, can I do anything for you?” asked Edith as she messaged her mother’s hand.

“Sorrow.” she said.

“Sorrow? How? For who?” asked Edith with a worried look on her face.

“Sorrow. Pain.”

“Mama, for who?”

“Baby. Death.” said Ruth as she closed her eyes and released Edith’s hand once again.

Penny walked into the room and towards the bed.

“Here’s the water mother.” She looked over at her grandmother and saw that she appeared to be sleeping.

“Oh she must have fallen asleep.”

“Yes. But I think she was trying to give me a message. I hope that Tiny Tina is alright. What I just heard sent chills down my back.” Edith said as she put the glass on the side of the bed. “Let’s go out into the kitchen so we can talk. “

Penny and Edith turned and left the sleeping woman who was dreaming of the day she and her husband became the proud parents of their first child. In spite of the older medicine woman’s warning to her, she had several pregnancies. Ruth did not fear the medicine woman, who was her friend, but she knew in her own heart, that her babies would survive and live good lives.

“Mother, you look white. Are you alright?” asked Penny.

“Yes dear. I’m fine. I need to let you know that the women of this family have the strong power of vision of things that people don’t know have happened yet. Your grandmother could see something and shock us all. I can’t remember when she was wrong. People used to see if she could tell them anything to help them in life. Mother told them that a sign or message had to come naturally, not forced.”

“Do you see things?” asked Penny.

“Well, I haven’t tried to make my visions a prediction, but I feel that I could if I let my natural ability take hold. I saw that I would marry your father. That was good enough for me.” Edith said as she remembered the night her vision came.

The outside became darker as the clouds came in and covered the sky. Some of the clouds were even dark in color. Off in the distance, a little rumbling was heard. In the tree that was near the front of the house, a big dark crow flew to a branch, crowed and then flew off. Edith shut her own eyes and said a small prayer.
© Copyright 2010 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688672-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-forty-four