*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689835-Fools-Gold
by Leena
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1689835
A fictional S. S. where a frontier boy is taught "Don't believe everything you see."
"Papa, Papa! I found gold!" exclaimed a filthy little boy hastily approaching his grandfather. "It sparkles prettier than Mama's wedding band. See?" Finally still, the boy offered the rock to his Papa with a half toothless smile. Examining it, Papa whispered cautiously, "Show me where you got this from, son."

The bare-footed pair crossed the field into the woods. The boy ran on ahead excitedly. Grandfather was silent, fearing what might follow next.

As dusk approached, the boy found the hole. As Grandfather investigated the opening, he found the broken boards with familiar handwriting... "BEWARE! DANGER!" Knelt in front of the boy the grandfather asked, "Are you sure you found this rock here, Billy?" Proudly, Billy responds, "Yup. I went way inside until I reached the wall. A hole in the roof shoned down on the rocks. There's lots of gold there, Papa. Why would people leave the gold and lamps and too-- " "You are never to return here, Billy," said Grandfather sternly, turning to leave. "Why?" asked Billy, standing still.

With swollen eyes he replies, "You see, son, this hole taught a lesson to the village right before you were born: Don't believe everything you see. The men, God rest their souls, were mining for gold when the hole collapsed, burying them. After the collapse, they found out it wasn't real. Daddys and husbands were lost for no good. Only Uncle Joey made it thanks to your Daddy. That's why it's dangerous."

Standing up slowly, "So, what do you say we visit your Daddy's grave and bury this rock in the ground for him so he can have it." Teary eyed, the boy hugged his grandfather tightly around the neck, agreeing and promising never to go near the hole again. (299)
© Copyright 2010 Leena (leenalea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689835-Fools-Gold