*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690608-A-Wrinkle-in-the-Stitch
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Leena
Rated: · Short Story · Other · #1690608
A tomboy's attempt to sew
Prompt for 7/14
Write a story that includes the words: needle, strong, wrinkle
have fun!

It was my daughter's first attempt. She had the material, the thread, the proper sewing needle, and my sewing machine. She wanted to make a skirt but not a lightweight "girly" skirt with frills and ribbons. The material had to be strong enough to hold up to her tomboyish quirks: climbing trees and fishing in the stream in the woods behind our house. She chose a denim with penny-sized embroidered snakes, birds, lizards, and frogs of vibrant greens, pinks, and blues scattered on it.

She laid the material out smoothly, measuring and cutting to the dimensions she needed. She pinned the pieces together and set everything out to start sewing. The machine ran as she pushed on the pedal, guiding the material under the needle as it stitched the materials together. Everything was going well.

The side seams were finished. The waistband stretched with the elastic she used. She finished by sewing the hem at the bottom of the skirt. She was very proud of her work as she finished her final stitch and turned the skirt right side out.

To her shock and horror, the skirt looked very different in the front than from the back. Even though she made sure that the material laid flat, a long diagonal wrinkle was the center accent on the skirt. She was very upset until she tried it on. To her amazement, the skirt looked better than the plain design she originally imagined. She wore her skirt with pride with the diagonal wrinkle causing the bottom hem to hang down at a point just below the knee. That's my daughter, the unique one!

267 words
© Copyright 2010 Leena (leenalea at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690608-A-Wrinkle-in-the-Stitch