*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691672-Chapter-1--The-War-Did-Not-End-There
by chad
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Drama · #1691672
First chapter of my first book still editing and fixing minor things here and there
This is the first somewhat completed chapter still working on it and more to come later.  Please check it out and let me know what you think.  This is my first attempt at writing a book or anything longer than a couple pages.





CHAPTER 1

         Depression is what sinks a person into a deep dark hole.  It makes them think that they will never escape from.  I have been in this hole for the past ten years.  The only pleasure I got out of anything was being alone so therefore I guess you could say I was happy with the way things were going.  I had just left the army.  Being a Forward Observer in the military was not exactly the career I had planned but it made me who I am today, but not in a good way.  All the fighting, all the blood, all the killing, it all really messed my head up. 

         The bar that Friday night wasn’t really crowded like it usually was.  Drinking here was the only relief I had from the nightmares of my past so I was here quite often.  That’s where I met Sarah.  At the other end of the building I could see her dancing and joking with her friends near the pool tables.  I really can’t say it was love at first sight because of all the hardships I have been threw in the past.  All I can say is I was interested but still wanted to keep my distance. 

         “I need another beer.” I asked Brian who was working that night behind the bar. 

         “Why don’t you go over and talk to those girls.” He said trying to get me to stop drinking so much just like every other night I had been in here.  My luck with women left ever since I was in the military. “Sarah, the one standing right now talking to her friends, her father owns half the town.”          

         “Really, what does he do?” I asked just glad that I had someone to talk to. “Her family rich or something.”

         “Her dad used to be in the military, Special Forces I think, got kicked out because he had a problem with authority.”

         “Don’t we all.  Now how about that beer?”

         “I think you had enough if you keep drinking like this you won’t make it home tonight.”

         “I’ve been coming in here for the past couple years doing the same damn thing.  Drinking myself into oblivion so that I cannot even remember who I am anymore.  Do I ever make it home after a night here?”

“Not that I can remember, last week you managed to find my truck and fall asleep in the back.”

“Yeah I been meaning to tell ya you might want to hose out your bed after that.”

         “Yeah, already did, once I got back from dumping your drunken ass in your own yard I went straight to the car wash.”

“So how bout that beer?”

“You're not going to live to see 40 if you keep this up.”

         “That’s the plan, and throw in a shot of jack while you’re at it.” 

After what seemed like countless hours of drinking I left the bar as I usually did.  Broke, world spinning, and could barely stand much less walk.  The way to the parking lot was the hardest to navigate while heavily intoxicated.  As I attempted to fish for my keys I then realized I didn’t drive today, hell I didn’t even own a vehicle.  As I was leaning on a nearby car trying to find a place to stop and collect myself I noticed that someone was trying to talk to me and holding a huge bright light in my face.

         “I know you aren’t planning on driving tonight are you sir?” the officer said very sarcastically.  I backed away still trying to collect myself and to come up with something to tell him to get him off my back. 

         “Ummmm Ya no ……you are right.” I said in a very slurred drunken state of mind. 

         “Jake!  There you are I been looking all over for you.”  I heard the voice come behind me and when I turned to see where it was coming from I fell right into her arms.  I wanted to tell her that my name wasn’t Jake but for some reason felt that was a bad idea.

         “Sarah, is this guy with you?” said the officer.

         “Yes, thanks Jack, I turned my back for one second and he’s gone.”  At this point I am very confused as to what just happened but the way my life is going now I really didn’t care if I was to die right then or go to jail. 

         The officer left.  I guess living in a small town had its advantages.  Very few cops meant each one of them had a lot of ground to cover and couldn’t be preoccupied with something petty as a misplaced drunk.  Sarah pushed me up against the vehicle and tried her best to hold me in place.

         “What just happened?”

         “It seems to me you almost got arrested.”

         “Why did you help me?”

         “The cops in this town are extremely crooked, believe me,” I guess I had to believe her; from what Brian told me at the bar she had been living here longer than me.  “And you are in no state to drive home tonight.”  She said trying to get me to stand which really wasn’t going to work but I decided to let her figure this one out.

         “Really, what was your first clue, my staggering or the fact that this isn’t even my car?”

         “Then where is your car at?”

         “I don’t own a vehicle; I spend all my money on booze and strippers, how about you.” 

         “Uugh! Ok I’ll take you home where do you live?”

         “If I knew that do you think I’ll still be here about to get arrested for being drunk in public?”

         “I must be crazy!” Sarah mumbled to herself but then finally said, “I’ll take you to my house but you’re sleeping outside in the car, in your condition I think you could sleep anywhere but at least you’ll be dry.”

         Sarah tried her best to help me to her car but I almost fell twice and I believe I vomited somewhere in the parking lot.  Sarah propped me up on her car and attempted to unlock her passenger side door while making sure I didn’t face plant into the pavement.  As soon as she got it open I began to slide toward her and banged my head on the side of the door. 

“Great, looks like we’re making a detour.”  I heard her say as I looked up.  Just then I saw her face clear as day.  The smooth skin and the dark brown hair.  She probably stood maybe five foot six and maybe weighed a whole 120 lbs, but all in all just beautiful.  It was as if god had sent me an angel.  Why? I had no idea.  I wasn’t going to start asking questions now about the way my life was going.  I figured the best thing for me now was to just go with it. 

The last thing I remember that night is sitting with Sarah in the Emergency Room, and her holding an ice pack to my forehead.  I wanted to get to know her better and ask her many questions.  I knew I was about to pass out and for some reason I wished she was still around when I woke up.  As the lights dimmed I kept finding myself asking the same question.  Why?

© Copyright 2010 chad (chad112406 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691672-Chapter-1--The-War-Did-Not-End-There