*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691882-Thank-You-For-Loving-Me
by Jordi
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1691882
The aftermath after the final battle.
Dante silently closed the door to his chamber and leant against the rough wooden surface. His whole body ached and the wound in his side burned as though a hot poker had been thrust into it. Selina had put some foul smelling concoction on it earlier which had helped to ease the pain but it hadn't removed all of it.

Pushing himself off the door, he walked into the large chamber, his step slow and measured, careful not to increase the hurting his body was currently suffering. The room was in darkness, illuminated only by the flickering light given off by the fire burning in the large fireplace on the right of the room. A quick glance confirmed that there was enough wood burning to keep the fire going through the night, ensuring that the chamber would stay warm despite the winter chill outside.

The large four poster bed seemed to dominate the wall facing the fireplace. Surrounded by the flickering shadows cast by the flames in the fire, it seemed to be alive, dancing between the light and the dark, growing and shrinking like a mysterious beast. Dante paused by the side of the bed and looked down at the sleeping occupant. Hair the colour of ripe wheat lay spread over the white pillows framing a delicate face with pale skin and soft pink cheeks. The creamy skin of a shoulder could be seen peeking out from under the warm furs that covered the bed.

He felt his heart wrench as his eyes lit on the angry red welt that marred the smooth perfection of her skin. She had risked her life for him, believed that he was worth saving despite what others had thought of him and what he had believed about himself. She had seen past the barriers that he had put up around himself and saw the man inside. She had made him accept who he was and the power that lay inside him without making him feel like the monster he had believed himself to be. Her love had healed him and he vowed that he would do anything within his power to keep that love safe and secure.

Shedding his robe Dante peeled back the covers and climbed into the bed beside her. The sheets felt cool against his heated skin as he slid down next to her and gathered her close to his body.

"Dante?" her sleep filled voice was like a warm wave washing over him, soothing and cleansing as it washed over him.

"I'm here," he whispered against her forehead, his arms holding her close.

"Good," she sighed and snuggled close to him, her body fitting perfectly against his. "Love you, Dante," she whispered before sleep once more claimed her.

Dante swallowed against the wave of emotion that threatened to overwhelm him. "Love you, Jilana," he replied gruffly, words he had never uttered to anyone else. As he held her close to his beating heart, a heart that belonged to the woman lying in his arms, Dante thanked the gods that she had come into his life when he had been so alone, lost in the darkness of his soul. She was the light to his darkness and he would do all that he could to keep her safe with him.

© Copyright 2010 Jordi (jordib at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691882-Thank-You-For-Loving-Me